Maltese Not A Toy Dog?

minyvlz

Hello everyone, I have been wanting to travel with my dog overseas so I have contacted Jet Pets, who have informed me that my Maltese (cross) is not a toy breed and cannot be transported in a PP20 crate. Is this true? The lady even called up Qantas to make sure. Has anyone had any experience with this? My dog is a Maltese x Papillon and weighs 3.5kg. A PP20 crate is just nice for him, even a little big (can stand up turn around lie down with lots of space). The lady said I have to ship him in a PP40 crate, which I think is much too big for him.

The size of the crate is dependant on the size of the dog not what group it belongs to.

It is the IATA rules you (and JetPet) must conform to when selecting the crate meeting the regulations for minimum size when transporting a dog by air.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live_animals/Pages/pets.aspx

This might be useful.

Edited by LisaJ

Lisa I am on my phone and cannot access the website but yes both Jetpets and I are clear about the crate being big enough for the dog to stand up, turn around and lie down like I mentioned. My dog is 1.5years old and sleeps in his PP20 crate every night, he normally occupies about 1/2 to 3/4 of the crate (with water bowl attached). If selecting a crate is about sufficient space for the dog then there is no problem. I have told the lady this too but she said that the airlines will not accept a Maltese in a PP20 as it is not a toy breed (according to one website it says PP20s are only for toy dogs and cats up to 12kg incl crate weight). I asked what group a Maltese was and she said small breed but not toy breed.

It is a pity because JetPets has the lowest quote so far, but as it concerns the airline it probably wouldn't differ among agents which use the Qantas. I have tried calling Qantas myself but all they did was send me an email about pet travel ad referred me back to Jetpets.

The size of the crate is dependant on the size of the dog not what group it belongs to.

It is the IATA rules you (and JetPet) must conform to when selecting the crate meeting the regulations for minimum size when transporting a dog by air.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/live_animals/Pages/pets.aspx

This might be useful.

Lisa I am on my phone and cannot access the website but yes both Jetpets and I are clear about the crate being big enough for the dog to stand up, turn around and lie down like I mentioned. I asked what group a Maltese was and she said small breed but not toy breed.

It is a pity because JetPets has the lowest quote so far, but as it concerns the airline it probably wouldn't differ among agents which use the Qantas. I have tried calling Qantas myself but all they did was send me an email about pet travel ad referred me back to Jetpets.

So list your dog as small x breed, don't even mention Maltese if this what causes the problem.

Shazzapug yes probably will have to go down that route.

Lisa, you must not have flown your dog before? They require you to state the breed, no matter what agent you use and JetPets is saying PP20s are not allowed by small breeds.

Shazzapug yes probably will have to go down that route.

Lisa, you must not have flown your dog before? They require you to state the breed, no matter what agent you use and JetPets is saying PP20s are not allowed by small breeds.

:D

Funny - I have flown 5 dogs internationally, from way south to way north on earth and the other way too.

Two of them I listed as small cross bred dog cause that was the truth. From memory I think I had to sign a declaration that the dogs didn't have any of the "prohibited" breeds in their parentage. Prohibited as defined by the country of destination.

I never went through an agent though and last time any of my dogs travelled international was 2.5 yrs ago so things have obviously changed. Good to know if we ever decide to go international in our travels again.

Thanks for all your replies! I am about to go with dogtainers :/ Unfortunately my little one looks like a B&W Maltese so looks nothing like a Pap.

Goldengirl85: haha I would have thought people knew Maltese were toy dogs too. Didn't think it wouldn't apply somewhat for travel.

Lisa: I have flown a friend's dog to her before and I was not allowed to fly him without an agent. Perhaps it just depends on airline. What the import country requires is a whole lot of hassle, for example needing the C4 instead of C3 and I just had him vaccinated with C3... They also do need a photo of head and body to ensure he is not on their list of prohibited breeds.