Leaving Dogs Inside House When You Go Out

poochiemama

My contraptions dont last too long Lavendergirl but it does give them a bunch of things to play with!

I have egg cartons which I drop a treat in each egg space and then I tape it all up.

I put treats in old empty tissue boxes.

Those plastic boxes strawberries come in I smear with peanut butter.

I buy cheap plastic cups, put yoghurt in them to freeze and then smear the sides with honey (NOT an inside treat obviously).

Save up the tubes inside your cling wrap (I collect them from family and friends). Wedge a treat right in the middle, wedge paper tightly so whole tube is packed with paper.

Save up small boxes (eg toothpaste box), put a treat in that, fold down one end to make it shorter and smaller, put it in a bigger box and that into a bigger box and another bigger one.

Must admit this stuff creates a lot of mess but we just pick up all the paper and pop it into recycle when we get home.

I also HIGHLY recommend Beef Whizzers! They are hard enough to last a while but not so hard as antlers to make me worry they will break teeth.

Great ideas - thanks. I worry about the teeth breaking off too! What are Beef Whizzers - can you get them at the supermarket?

My boy is inside confined to the family room with a doggy door for access outside. Our fences are all locked and secure so I don't worry too much about anyone coming into the yard.

Make this site your friend!!!! MUCH cheaper than supermarket!

http://australianpettreatcompany.com.au/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Chi is an inside dog so stays in when we go out. He has the whole house to himself. He usually knows when we are going out so he goes and puts himself to bed on the pillows on our bed(he has his own step to get on and off the bed). I have tried leaving treats etc for him but he wont eat them when we're not home. So I don't bother leaving them out now. I just make sure he has plenty of fresh water. He has a bowl in the bedroom so he doesnt have to walk out to the kitchen to get a drink. He has newspaper on floor near the back door if he needs to go to the toilet but never uses it. When we get home he is normally still on the bed so we can only presume that is where he has stayed all day. What a life!!! :)

Mine have the run of the house and none of the doors are shut either upstairs or down. WE have a doggy door and the younger boy goes in and out at his leisure. My older boy can't manage the doggy door because of his lack of vision. On nice days we leave our older boy outside. We have never had any damage done. I guess we must be blessed.

I think that because ours are born and raised in the house, they are not destructive and are happy and relaxed when left inside. They all sleep in the house at night, some loose and some in their crates, but if we go to sleep watching TV, there will be 9 GSD's of various ages laying around the house or snuck up onto the lounge! :laugh:

We generally have 2 or 3 in the house during the day, depending on bitches in season or pregnant, or whose turn it is to stay inside! Our import Lilli is always inside, she was also a house dog in Germany so we have never had any issues with her either.

We dont let them into the bedrooms or the front of the house because I dont want them sticking their heads through the blinds to "guard" the property all day. And our hallway is the coolest part of the house in summer and the dogs gravitate to it. They also have access to the kitchen, which has a fan and an old lounge to lie on.

They have their toys and some days I'll give them a Kong or pigs ear, some days they get nothing when I leave except a quick treat or biscuit.

The whole house is slate flooring, so we dont worry about toileting specifically, but unless they are sick, they dont pee or poop inside the house anyway. I am generally gone from home for 9 hours but could be much longer, never have an issue. Once when there was a problem, I could not get home and the dogs were locked in for 17 hours, still no "accidents" when we got home, they just held on! :thumbsup: Even now, our 8 month old male wont even pee in his pen, let alone the house, but he pees for about 4 minutes when I get home and let him out :D

Jager has access to the house 24/7. We only have a small courtyard and although he has a kennel and shelter i still worry about it getting very hot out there.

We have a baby gate at the stairs so that he cannot get to the main bedroom (and it also creates an escape for the cat if she wants to get away from him). We also close the doors to the bathroom and study so he only has access to the lounge, dining and kitchen areas. He doesnt seem to do anything while we are gone. He toys dont move and he generally lays in the sun. We give him a frozen stuffed kong when we leave and he gets walked for about 30 minutes in the morning as well.

I find he is not every active during the day, even if i have a day off, he generally just lays around sleeping and then perks up around mid afternoon in time for us to come home i guess.

I would say if you want to start leaving your dogs inside, make sure everything is out of reach, dont leave anything at their level (apart from their toys etc.) give them something that will take some time to eat, a bone, kong etc. Take them out for a good walk/run before hand so that they are likely to be tired and less destructive. And start off with short periods on their own and work up to all day.

We used to keep our two inside on yucky weather days but they are absolutely MENTAL by the time we get home, they have a big shed with cushions and beds so plenty of shelter.

They are usually outside when we aren't home as Mosley is a destructo dog, he has eaten carpet, two couches, a mobile phone, a remote, ALL of my bras and a coffee table.

They never pee in the house, always just hold it till we get home buit I feel bad about that so would prefer them outside. If we were in a snakey area though I'd probably keep them inside over summer.

I leave mine inside with the radio on. 3 can use the doggy door even the puppy and 1 can't so she has to wait till I come home to go to the toilet. I section off our back room for them they have a lounge plus a doggy bed to lie on if they choose. They have toys and once a week or so have a pigs ear or some sort chew thing. :)

wow, I just checked this thread and can't believe so many people bothered to reply! Thank you everyone, there are some great suggestions. I guess we have not tried them inside for a long time (the last time we had them inside by themselves was the day Charlie decided to eat his way through his soft crate) - maybe it's time to try again, with close supervision, and maybe short periods at a time. They just sleep all day when they are outside anyway. Now, I have to convince husband to try this once again (he's been burnt too many times by the sight of doggy-destruction)...maybe I'll forward him the link to this thread to show him there is hope and that many dogs manage to stay inside peacefully!!

My dog is always in his crate when we go out never left alone to wander the other dog is more trust worthy and she is allowed everywhere. When home they have access to inside and outside and the freedom to be where they want. This also includes the resident three cats.

We keep our 2 tibbies indoors when we are out especially during summer as they don't cope well with the heat. While on their own, they only have access to the kitchen/diner, laundry and bathroom as these areas have tiles and floorboards. I remove anything that can be destroyed (although they aren't destructive dogs)and have their beds and toys out for them. I suspect they sleep the whole time we are out. When we only had one tibbie, I left out treats for him as well. He loved the Kong wobbler and some other toys that had treats stuffed in them (frozen stuffed kong was popular). Unfortunately, I can't leave treats out anymore when they are unsupervised as they will fight over food but they seem happy enough with each other's company. The main thing for us is containing them to 'safe' areas of the house and removing anything that I don't want destroyed. I can't move the dining table, though, and have come home to find my new tibbie perched up on the table although she had the grace to look a little guilty!