Tips To Stop Dog From Chewing Wood

tiff-689

My pointer has taken a liking to chewing the corners off my wooden (made out of fir-wood, which i believe is a very low quality wood anyway) rabbit hutch when I'm not home. Short of constructing an entirely new hutch, i would like to make this one last as long as possible and minimise the damage.

In which case I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with certain types of varnish or paint, stopping a dog from chewing?? I know i can try things like vinegar or hot sauce but i don't really want to be slopping this all over the hutch...

if he's trying to get to the rabbits... it may need a bit more than a varnish!

Can you move either the dog or the hutch?

Seems that it is his entertainment .... and as said- the pepper /bitter sprays or constant vigilance/correcting/redirecting may help - BUT if it is prey drive causing it..that's a whole 'nother story :(

Edited by persephone

if he's trying to get to the rabbits... it may need a bit more than a varnish!

Can you move either the dog or the hutch?

Seems that it is his entertainment .... and as said- the pepper /bitter sprays or constant vigilance/correcting/redirecting may help - BUT if it is prey drive causing it..that's a whole 'nother story :(

I would fence it off from him... I have pointers and if it were mine it would be the rabbit they are after ;) !! If you think it's just the wood and not the rabbit he's trying to get then you can try a horse product called cribstop..it's a thick ointment like stuff that stays on and tastes horrible.

I don't think it's the rabbit she is trying to reach. She absolutely loves chewing on anything and everything, and the problem only started when i got this new hutch. The old hutch she didn't care less about :S

I know she is bored outside during work hours as i've had many many other destroyed items, but that's the price i pay. I leave kongs and an assortment of puzzle toys outside but they are of no interest to her. She took a liking to ripping the fly screen off the hutch so i solved that by nailing it from the inside. Now that she can't reach that, it seems like the wood is the next best bet and i can't reprimand her as she only goes near it when i'm not home. Unfortunately fencing the area off isn't possible but surely the wood will taste a lot worse if i varnish it..

Go buy a cheap play pen or a bunnings compost cage and fence it off. Problem solved.

hmmm don't know why i hadn't thought of that! haha. I do have a play pen but the panels are joined by pegs that you put into sand or grass but i guess i could get some cable ties or something the join them, as the hutch is under the patio on bricks. Fingers crossed the play pen is large enough to go around the hutch!

Vicks really does work, its the ONLY thing that stopped my Golden boy from destroying my bathroom vanity and door. Make sure you really coat it on though as a small smear doesnt really do the job. I find now that I dont even have to have it on because his scared to taste it :)

This might be of no use if you don't want to put anything on the actual frame but anyway, when we planted new little trees in our backyard and our dog was chewing the wood, we made a paste by mixing cayenne pepper with water and just pasted it onto the tree. Once he knew it was on there, he didn't even try anymore and we've never had a problem with him going back to have a munch again.

Our dog isn't a huge chewer in general though so I imagine you might have to be careful that your dog didn't actually eat too much of the cayenne pepper because it's pretty hot so could make them sick! The bonus is that it's cheap and the pepper isn't that noticeable in the first place but then just washes off anyway....

I just wonder if the crib stop will be ok to put on the wood. It's a very thin cheap wood but i might give that a go. If not, the vicks. If all else fails..i'll have to erect the playpen around it. Thanks for all your ideas :)

:) looks good!. You'll soon know if it's a prey drive thing - she'll start trying to dig under, or jump over ;)

Looking at that photo..the bits she's chewing seem to correlate with where she can see most movement inside the hutch... just my take on it ....

I hope this fence does stop it !

:) looks good!. You'll soon know if it's a prey drive thing - she'll start trying to dig under, or jump over ;)

Looking at that photo..the bits she's chewing seem to correlate with where she can see most movement inside the hutch... just my take on it ....

I hope this fence does stop it !

Fingers crossed no jumping over! My other dog, Buckley has been jumping on the roof (hence all the dirty marks) but i think that fence will stop him because there's a gap between the fence and the hutch. I got a very disapproving look from them when i erected it :) Just going to be annoying for me to get to the hutch now though!