Stupid Ear Fold

Kiwipete

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm not sure if I'll ever understand the obsession with taping ears. Things like wonky ears add character -- well they do to me anyway. I mean humans are all different; it's what makes us special.

And I didn't think your gorgeous girl looked so bad before. Now she just looks miserable -- poor little darling. :(

My friend has a pet rat with a head tilt caused by an ear infection and it makes her look positively darling! I love animal quirks!! :heart:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm not sure if I'll ever understand the obsession with taping ears. Things like wonky ears add character -- well they do to me anyway. I mean humans are all different; it's what makes us special.

And I didn't think your gorgeous girl looked so bad before. Now she just looks miserable -- poor little darling. :(

My friend has a pet rat with a head tilt caused by an ear infection and it makes her look positively darling! I love animal quirks!! :heart:

I have to agree with you... But I want to do what ever it takes to protect her from all the ridicule and name calling that she maybe faced with growing up with two different ears, :) ....

lol miserable lol she was just about asleep when I took the photo, the only reason she looked miserable was because I disturb her from a rest to get a pic for you lol

Seriously I wouldn't bother if it was going to be difficult and upsetting to her but a little bit of tape doesn't seem to hurt her one bit. And she has personality galore so doesn't need to stupid ear to make her any more Darling.. :)

BTW ::: When I first saw taped ears I thought it was dreadful too, but bloody easy thing to do and if it makes her look better well be it...

I know that some of this thread is in a little jest, but I cant help thinking.....

does it really matter?????? Does one 'off' ear mean that much that you would spend time taping it? It obviously does to some, and that's fine. But it does make me sad in a way. And here's why....

A few months ago I had to put my 11 month old Irish Setter pup to sleep due to epilepsy and I would give anything, anything to have him back. My previous dog was a Weimaraner with three legs. Both of these dogs were amazing despite their severe disabilities, it was quite amazing after a while I even would forget that Lloyd had three legs (until people would stop us in the street) I saw past the surface and my view of them became what they were on the inside- the most beautiful dogs in the world.

I guess I just wanted to put forward something that might make you worry a little less. I wish I were lucky enough to have a dog with a bung ear.

Edited by doglifetraining.com

Of course it doesn't matter :) she doesn't care how she looks and some call it character, I call it a "Stupid looking ear"...

The dog is fine with it... i.e. having a stupid looking head - why would she care she isn't the one that has to look at it all the time :) ... But you know when you have a new tattoo and it just doesn't look quite right, or a new car that has the tiniest scratch... Well it just bugs the bejesus outta me... I never said that she had the problem - I know I am the one with the problem...

If I could afford therapy then that would likely get the same result however have you priced a good shrink lately FFS :)... But a roll of tape from the Chemist isle at Coles cost me less than $6.00 :) very easy discussion in my view and the kids get to eat another week...

It's obviously not for everyone but it doesn't do anyone any harm so us Vain people that need to have everything around them looking "Just Right" I think taping ears is a great option if you new pups arn't just quite right.. :)

BTW as I said earlier (I Think) the rest of my family thought me to be the stupid one but the more I went on and frigg'n on about it they finally saw sense and it started bugging them too :) winner :) so it is now endorsed by the Clan :)

I bet you are wondering how my family can live with me hahahaha they love me a me them :) lastly if the tape comes off and her ear is still stupid I really couldn't care less as I tried and failed but at least I tried :) and one stupid ear doesn't give her character - It's what is in her heart :)

:laugh: I can totally see where you're coming from Kiwipete. It's a sad, sad world if people are judged over how their pet looks. I will loathe the day pet cosmetic surgery comes into effect. :mad

I guess I find it most amusing because I've got such a boofhead dog that if I cared about how he looked, I wouldn't own him. He's just managed battle scar number 3 from tripping over some slippery creek bed rocks and grazing the cr*p out of the skin under his eye. He's just such a clumsy nob sometimes. :banghead:

:crossfingers: that your taping works -- if only to give you peace of mind! :D

Where's the harm if somebody wants their dog to look how the breed is supposed to look? Ear taping doesn't hurt the dog, they get used to it very quickly and barely notice it. Massaging and taping is great to get a dog used to having its ears handled. Makes for easy ear-cleaning in the future :)

Sure some people don't care and that is fine, but so is caring.

Edited by Mim

If I'd known how to tape a dog's ears I'd have had a go. I so wanted my dog to have proper pointy up ears like an ACD or Kelpie should. Sigh. She's got semi erect ears.

Taping for pointy ears - I now know - would have involved strapping tape - like physios use on footballers, and toilet paper rolls - ie shape the ear around the cardboard - or piece of it and strap it on.

I'm not sure that just strapping with no "frame" would help.

I had high hopes for Molly (GSD) to have 'proper' ears! I waited too long to tape/glue and she is two with floppy ears. I was a bit upset initially as she is the first pb dog (others were x's) and I did want her to look like the breed standard. Now I could care less, as it just makes her look individual :laugh:

DSC_0035.JPG?gl=AU

:laugh: I can totally see where you're coming from Kiwipete. It's a sad, sad world if people are judged over how their pet looks. I will loathe the day pet cosmetic surgery comes into effect. :mad

I guess I find it most amusing because I've got such a boofhead dog that if I cared about how he looked, I wouldn't own him. He's just managed battle scar number 3 from tripping over some slippery creek bed rocks and grazing the cr*p out of the skin under his eye. He's just such a clumsy nob sometimes. :banghead:

:crossfingers: that your taping works -- if only to give you peace of mind! :D

Um - corrective surgery has been going on for years.

Right now I would seriously consider getting my dog's ears cosmetically stickied up. Then there would be almost no chance the victorians would mistake her for APBTx and I could safely take her with me.

Right now I'm looking for boarding somewhere on the plains with no fire risk for the middle of summer which sucks the big one.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

corrective surgery has been going on for years.

*nods*

eyes, ears, teeth, skin folds,...all sorts of things .

:eek:

No way!! That's $%@!# up!

I also don't really get the ear taping either to be honest. If people want to do it, of course it's up to them, go for it, but it just seems unfortunate that WE project our issues to do with "perfection" onto them when they're beautiful the way they are. Just my 2 cents though, I think your puppy is going to be gorgeous whether the taping works or not.

Edited by Aussie3

Right now I would seriously consider getting my dog's ears cosmetically stickied up. Then there would be almost no chance the victorians would mistake her for APBTx and I could safely take her with me.

Right now I'm looking for boarding somewhere on the plains with no fire risk for the middle of summer which sucks the big one.

Sorry but I think anyone who thought your dog was am APBTx would be seriously seriously stupid ;)

*nods*

I also don't really get the ear taping either to be honest. If people want to do it, of course it's up to them, go for it, but it just seems unfortunate that WE project our issues to do with "perfection" onto them when they're beautiful the way they are. Just my 2 cents though, I think your puppy is going to be gorgeous whether the taping works or not.

Ummm no it isn't. If a dog has saggy facial skin that affects it's eyes, cause skin fold infections, to gibe it a facelift and correct those issues is not F%$ked up it is doing the best for your dog. It is not done for vanity it is done for medical reasons.

Well Gracie's ear is getting somewhat better, I think her problem is that see tends to pop one ear back (expression/personality) more than the other which has effected how it sits... but this tape and a massage seems to help.... I am hoping that it will settle down to a permanent Button ear soon....

I just spent time reading some of the posts on this thread and I think everyone is OK with this taping as a no invasive method of getting the breed to look like the standard. (Sure it's vane but does it really matter to the dog?? nope! ).. and surgery is perfectly fine for fixing potential issues later on in life, skin folds etc... in fact our little pup came to us with her front dew claws removed, and we desex as well, Gracie will be desexed in a month or so so there is no risk of passing on this Stupid Ear :) into the breed (Kidding), But we did discuss desexing options with the Vet and he said if you are not going to breed from her to get her desexed for her health, "so it is a No Brainer" ... Also I have heard of some Pugs needing some nose surgery to help them breath to put less strain on their ticker.... I don't think many (if anybody) would really agree with surgery to improve the imperfections, - that is pretty nuts, if you had to go that far obviously you purchased or breed poorly...

So all in all we try and do our best for our vane selves but also for the health of our charges... :) And if Gracie end's up with this Stupid Ear we'll still love her the same :)

Sorry but I think anyone who thought your dog was am APBTx would be seriously seriously stupid

Esky the Husky

Let me introduce you to some of our local council workers. And the local primary school headmaster and his deputy plus a few of the dog phobic school parents - though they're all well outnumbered by families who have dogs.

They can't tell an SBT from an APBT or an ACDx from a APBTx.

At least the local council dog ranger was better than that. But he had an ACD at home so was very familiar with their character. Didn't bother him at all that mine barked her head off at him.

I suspect many councils are havens for the seriously seriously stupid. News out of Victoria seems to confirm it a little bit more every day.

On the upside - I met a lady at the beach today - who was busily picking up rubbish along the verges of the esplanade bike track, I suggested she send that local council an invoice for her time and effort, she said she worked for the council though she clearly was acting in her own time this morning. At least there's one that goes the extra distance.

*nods*

Ummm no it isn't. If a dog has saggy facial skin that affects it's eyes, cause skin fold infections, to gibe it a facelift and correct those issues is not F%$ked up it is doing the best for your dog. It is not done for vanity it is done for medical reasons.

I totally agree OSoSwift. I've seen instances where Sharpei dogs need "eye lifts" in order to prevent them from going blind. I don't have a problem with animal cosmetic surgery for these types of reasons, I just don't believe in cosmetic surgery because the owner is vain. To deliberately alter the look of ones dog because of its looks is wrong -- if you don't like how it looks, choose another breed or don't have a dog. Period.

Edited to say: I don't really mind ear taping because it is a non-invasive procedure, however, it's not something I'd consider doing because I love wonky dogs! :D

Glad to hear Gracie's ear is improving Kiwipete. We definitely require photos when the ear taping is finished! Pugs are gorgeous little guys!! :D :heart:

Edited by RiverStar-Aura