Wwyd - Rescue Dog Vs Pedigree Pup

AlanMatic

We've been suitably matched with a rescue dog of the breed we are seeking, the dog sounds great and truly what we are looking for. With any "older" (non-pup) canine addition to our home, it would help for them to be sociable due to our livestock, kids etc and this dog sounds promising on that front also. This dog is also of a similar age to our resident boy.

However... of late we have also been considering a pedigree pup (of same breed) and had become pretty excited about it. The pup in question has not even been born yet and no deposit has been made although we have already become emotionally attached to the idea. But puppies are so much work! However; pedigree means a better window into the future, health & temperament wise.

Due to the rescue dog being located interstate and needing vet work the costs for each are similar.

What would you do?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want a puppy and everything that comes with it - the good and the bad, get a puppy. In my case, if we decided to get another dog and I could find one of the right breed that was an adult and already had a great temperament, I would probably opt for that option, but I'm not a puppy/baby animal person.

I got a puppy the first time because I wanted to own the parents, but they weren't for sale...

We've been suitably matched with a rescue dog of the breed we are seeking, the dog sounds great and truly what we are looking for. With any "older" (non-pup) canine addition to our home, it would help for them to be sociable due to our livestock, kids etc and this dog sounds promising on that front also. This dog is also of a similar age to our resident boy.

However... of late we have also been considering a pedigree pup (of same breed) and had become pretty excited about it. The pup in question has not even been born yet and no deposit has been made although we have already become emotionally attached to the idea. But puppies are so much work! However; pedigree means a better window into the future, health & temperament wise.

Due to the rescue dog being located interstate and needing vet work the costs for each are similar.

What would you do?

I was in this position a couple of years ago....we went the rescue in the end. Costs actually worked out a bit more than if we got a pup from a breeder but we have never regretted it. We still got our breed of choice and every time I look at him I feel really good about what we did. He has been challenging at times as we got him at about 9 months of age and he was terrified of life but when I look at his now confident and cheeky face I have no regrets whatsoever....we will still get a pup at some point in life but at that time it seemed we were chosen for that particular dog.Good luck with your decision.

Guest donatella

Really depends what frame of mind you're in. Of course it feels great to rescue a dog and give them a forever better home, there is no toilet training or the 24/7 care that comes with a pup.

Of course puppies are GORGEOUS and its great satisfaction to sit back and watch your pup grow after having spent so much time in training them and watching them grow.

Depends is your family ready for a pup? An adult dog will just slip into a routine easy enough but a pup requires some forward planning. Personally i'd go the pup but I love the puppy stage and everything that comes with it :D

Personally, from what you have said, I would go with the rescue dog. 1) its older and out of that puppy stage, 2) it already has all the ticks crossed for what you are looking for 3) its of the same age of your dog is, so they might get along better than your dog having to put up with a biting, chewing, annoying youngster.

Plus a pup never comes with guarantees of being perfect for livestock. The pup may be aggressive towards them or too shy. You have to hope its going to be OK. The rescue dog is already good with them.

Lynn

If you are confident about raising a puppy, go with the puppy. I always recommend that you never have two dogs the same age. The risk of losing them very close together in old age is very real and very traumatic. 2-3 years between dogs is a much better option. A really old dog can be as much work as a puppy and having two really old together would be very stressful.

If you know how to raise a puppy then it can be raised to suit your rules and expectations. A rescue usually comes complete with behaviours you don't want and need to re-train, which is harder than doing it the right way with a puppy.

Most dogs end up as rescues because they haven't been trained properly. If it isn't really a "rescue" but is just being re-homed direct from the other owner due to a change in circumstances, then it may be a well adjusted, well trained dog that could fit in easily but the age problem would still be there.

If the rescue is the same sex as your dog there is likely to be a clash, depending on the breed.

I have chosen to foster - but breed etc is not important to me.

I guess because I was not in a position for a more permanent resident (we just lost our old staffy earlier this week) but really found the house to empty and quite - fostering was a good idea.

However while we were there meeting our foster boy - my son asked about staffys and the pound said they have a young dog in. So we looked, they fell in love with each other and we will be a staffy home again from Monday.

This little guy was listed as staffy cross and 12 months old. He looks more like a full staffy (BYB of course, no respectful breeder would allow their pup to end up in a pound) and he is probably only 5-6 months old. So rescue it is for us this time.

I guess it depends on your circumstances, what falls into place and how you feel about it.

I have chosen to foster - but breed etc is not important to me.

I guess because I was not in a position for a more permanent resident (we just lost our old staffy earlier this week) but really found the house to empty and quite - fostering was a good idea.

However while we were there meeting our foster boy - my son asked about staffys and the pound said they have a young dog in. So we looked, they fell in love with each other and we will be a staffy home again from Monday.

This little guy was listed as staffy cross and 12 months old. He looks more like a full staffy (BYB of course, no respectful breeder would allow their pup to end up in a pound) and he is probably only 5-6 months old. So rescue it is for us this time.

I guess it depends on your circumstances, what falls into place and how you feel about it.

Some things are just meant to be and happen for a reason unbeknown to us.

So happy to hear this story, there will be a part of your heart he will never own, but I am sure given time he will put his own paw prints on it.

J

I would go with the puppy, but that's because I've decided that I prefer to raise my dogs from puppyhood. However, if the adult dog had everything I was looking for temperament wise and seemed highly trainable, then I would be tempted to go for the rescue dog.

One of my current issues with the dog I rescued as an adult vs the one I got as a puppy, is that the adult one was never set up to win in training, she's not very confident, doesn't like to try things so she's difficult to shape and not as "switched on" when it comes to training. With my puppy I've done shaping from the start and set him up to win and built his confidence etc, so he suits me better training wise.

And I think it would be difficult to figure out these things about an adult rescue without spending quite a bit of time with it, which is why from now on I'd prefer to get a puppy.

A rescue from interstate... a dog I 'd not seen in the flesh ... I'd be doubtful... but I'm not you ;)

Also two dogs ,same age, same sex .. may not get along as well as I would like...

I like the idea of getting adults - or older pups .. pups ARE a lot of work.... and adults already have their temperament/size :)

Toss a coin... and when you are disappointed in what turns up - then you've made your choice!! ;)

I wouldn't be adopting a dog from interstate unless the dog and your dog had a chance to interact first, to ensure all was well.

I wouldn't be placing all my hopes on a puppy that is not born or promised yet. Breeding is a game of chance and luck, and there are no guarantees.

I'd definitely go with the rescue dog, if I were you.

If I were in this situation, I'd much rather rescue a dog than take on a new puppy for basically every single reason I can think of. From the "selfish" (for want of a better word) point of view, I'd rather not have to toilet train and go through puppyhood and adolescence, but also because rescue just sits better with me. Obviously there are always going to be differences between 2 dogs and situations, but if on balance all things are equal and the only difference is whether it's a rescue or from a breeder- I'd go rescue every time.

I understand people wanting to get a puppy from a breeder rather than take their chances with a rescue dog of unknown origin, but I suppose in my head there's a difference between breed rescue and random mutt from pound rescue. Maybe that's stupid, but it's just my gut instinct :shrug:.

In this case, it actually seems like you might already have found what you want in a dog anyway, and with a puppy there's never a guarantee that you're going to end up with the dog with the kind of personality and attributes that you want. You can maximise your chances, but never guarantee it. I'm sure we've all heard stories of the perfect, purpose bred agility dog that hates agility, etc etc :laugh:

I do see the pros and cons of both sides of the coin, IYKWIM. I raised our resident dog from a pup and know first hand just how much work it is; but on the other hand, doing so also gives you a real sense of trust with the dog you've raised and gotten to know so well. So the hard work can well be worth it.

But then, an adolescent (18 month) dog, house trained, social, the "right" age/sex...

When it's interstate, I suppose you just have to place a lot of trust in the rescue group/foster carer to lay it all on the table for you. I know the last thing they'd want is it not to work out so I do believe they're open about a dog's faults and strengths. They do know all the ins and outs of our home life and I trust their judgement.

Leema - easier said then done! Who doesn't get attached with the thought of adding a new pup to the home?

Both! :D :angeldevil:

Seriously if it were me i'd go with an adolescent dog. Sometimes i feel a bit sad that i didnt see my dogs grow up, but then when i talk to friends with pups i'm really glad i missed the puppy phase :laugh:

But i'm sure once either dog is in your home you'd love it to pieces, it just depends on your level patience for all things puppy at this stage in your life!

What would you do?

What does "sounds promising" mean?

What has the rescue dog done wrt livestock and what is your specific requirement?

Is the rescue dog a male or female?

What would you do?

What has the rescue dog done wrt livestock and what is your specific requirement?

"Sounds promising" means that the dog has been tested with animals and children, with positive outcome.

My specific requirement is either an even temperament around other animals or the ability to acquire one through training.

Why is the dog's sex relevant to you? :confused:

What would you do?

"Sounds promising" means that the dog has been tested with animals and children, with positive outcome.

These animal need to match your own animals.

What animals has the dog been tested with and in what capacity?

What animals do you own?

My specific requirement is either an even temperament around other animals or the ability to acquire one through training.

That's a big 'OR'.

I would not and do not rely on "sounds promising" for an interstate adult dog.

In my experience dogs are very specific with the livestock they get along with.

Why is the dog's sex relevant to you? :confused:

Excuse me?

*turning the other cheek*

Taking in an adult male from interstate when you already have a resident male,

can pose problems.

It doesn't matter how many dogs your own dog or the rescue dog gets along with,

what matters is that the two individual dogs get along, in your dog's territory.

Edited by lilli

I'm not sure if you intend this but your posts come across as rather "short". The questions you have posed are not anything myself/and or the rescue group have not answered for ourselves. "Sounds promising" was my summation, not the rescue group's. The dog is the "right" sex, as I've stated - which in our case is a female, we have a male.

ETA: I think what you're saying is, you doubt that the dog's behaviour in one home reflects how it will behave in a different home, with a different dog and different animals? Is that right?

Edited by AlanMatic

I'm not sure if you intend this but your posts come across as rather "short". The questions you have posed are not anything myself/and or the rescue group have not answered for ourselves. "Sounds promising" was my summation, not the rescue group's. The dog is the "right" sex, as I've stated - which in our case is a female, we have a male.

I don't intend.

If you know all the relevant criteria to do with dog selection and integration, then why ask for advice on what dog to choose.

Yourself and the rescue group have established all there is to know about relocating an adult dog interstate, to get along with your current dog and your livestock.

Edited by lilli

I don't intend.

If you know all the relevant criteria to do with dog selection and integration, then why ask for advice on what dog to choose.

Yourself and the rescue group have established all there is to know about relocating an adult dog interstate, to get along with your current dog and your livestock.

Not so much advice on how to choose - my life, my dogs, my choice, and I have to live with it! - more a 'what would you do' subject, hence the WWYD in the title.