Best Bed For Staffords

just1more

Hi all,

Just wanting peoples opinions on an outdoor bed for my staffordshire bull terriers. At the moment they have the kennel and crate but my girl is "Destructo Dog" so is always pull the bedding out or at least trying too :banghead: With the warmer weather coming in I was wanting one that was up off the ground too so air could get in under it to help keep them cool.

So, what would you recommend (brand would be nice :) ), where did you get it from, do you think it would last at least one summer with a chewing SBT puppy, and also, my 2 SBT's sleep together more often than not but are still both young and growing, so should I get 2 beds or will they grow out of wanting to sleep with each other, especially as it will get quite hot here?...my girl will probably claim both beds anyway if I got 2 :angeldevil: lol. Thanks :)

Edited by just1more

Good luck! I can't have any bedding outside in their kennels atm because Bear rips it up. The raised bedding is kind of still in one piece. Thankfully he doesn't rip up his inside bed which happens to be the lounge. :D

Guest english.ivy

The Karmar raised metal frame with green and white strips seem to be the only outside bedding my Pointer won't eat.

I just bought him a canvas bed and he started chewing it on the weekend. So now he only gets that at night time [when he should sleep and not chew].

He has his chew proof not as comfy Karmar bed to sleep on.

I really do hope he grows out of chewing, everything. He is my first chewer and it isn't fun but I guess he still is a youngster.

note: link added to show picture of what I mean.

The Karmar raised metal frame with green and white strips seem to be the only outside bedding my Pointer won't eat.

I just bought him a canvas bed and he started chewing it on the weekend. So now he only gets that at night time [when he should sleep and not chew].

I really do hope he grows out of chewing, everything. He is my first chewer and it isn't fun but I guess he still is a youngster.

Thanks for the link :thumbsup: I was actually looking at them in one of the shops here on the weekend but thought I'd better ask other for ideas first...I have a habit of buying things then finding out a few days later that I could have got something better/cheaper/more suitable etc!!! :doh: I used to have a rotti that was chewer but that was back in the day when they didn't have as bigger variety for our "special needs" dogs :rofl:

Edited by just1more

best I can offer is if you get a hammock type bed for them, stick it out there and and hope for the best :laugh:

Jessie chewed up the first one within a week of having it (it was a shade cloth type with eylets to tie down with cable ties) Then I tried a potato sack kind which lasted a month. Finally I settled on a shadecloth type but with velcro that attaches underneath the bed this one has lasted nearly 2 and a bit years :thumbsup:

I second this. Coincidentally the only thing my pointer also has not yet destroyed (caught her chewing the corners of the material the other day but it's still holding strong) :) They're quite cheap as well. Always see them in stock at city farmers and better pets.

Edited by tiff-689

I use those round exercise trampolines...I think you are meant to jog on them..? I paid around $5 for mine from garage sales. They are virtually indestructible. Best dog beds ever! I've had mine for about 5 years now....good value for money! Then I go to St Vinnies (or more garage sales...did I mention that I love garage sales?) and buy old blankets for around $1 each to make them more comfy. I don't bother to wash the blankets...just throw them away after a month or so.

I've seen the Kramar ones decimated in no time. I seem to work in an area that has a plague of chewers ...

http://www.kennelsolutions.com.au/about/kuranda_dog_beds.html

Thanks soooo much for that link Nekhbet :thumbsup: they look great and even though they are a bit pricey, I'd rather pay a bit more for something that will actually last :)

Thank you everyone for looking and the replies :)

I made one the same as the Kuranda bed.

Just get the metal frame, slide on the black fabric cover, then knock on some pvc piping around the 4 sides. Mine don't dig at their beds, and I haven't had to replace a mat yet.

:D

Thanks for the idea Sir WJ :thumbsup: Hubby's always looking for something to weld so I might see if he can knock something up for the lil' terrors ;)

I made one the same as the Kuranda bed.

Just get the metal frame, slide on the black fabric cover, then knock on some pvc piping around the 4 sides. Mine don't dig at their beds, and I haven't had to replace a mat yet.

:D

Thanks for the idea Sir WJ :thumbsup: Hubby's always looking for something to weld so I might see if he can knock something up for the lil' terrors ;)

You're welcome. :)

I already had one of the metal frames. I used to use the hessian beds but found they didn't last long enough. My local pet shop stocks some nice heavy duty fabric covers,(about $40), then we just knocked on the pvc. My husband cut a strip along the length of the piping (about 1cm) I think, to allow it to go over the metal frame.

Hardest part would be having to pull them off again if you ever do need to replace the mat, but we haven't come to that yet. :laugh: Shouldn't be too hard though.

This all occured after I showed him a picture of the Kuranda bed, and he said "pfft, I can make one just like it."

Want a photo?

Edited by Sir WJ

Thanks for the link :thumbsup: I was actually looking at them in one of the shops here on the weekend but thought I'd better ask other for ideas first...I have a habit of buying things then finding out a few days later that I could have got something better/cheaper/more suitable etc!!! :doh: I used to have a rotti that was chewer but that was back in the day when they didn't have as bigger variety for our "special needs" dogs :rofl:

Hi, I've had these and they last one day!! I now have the Australian Trampoline dog beds (you can get them either round or rectangular) and they have a metal frame on the outside so the dogs can't chew the fabric. Had these for over a year now and they are both in perfect condition. They cost me $278 each (large size) but it is worth it. Here is the website - www.trampolinedogbeds.com.au