Moving House

So I sold my old house and bougth a new one. The new house is on a large block of land (3000 square meters) and has colorbond fencing all around, 6ft most parts but also some 5ft.

I took the dogs there twice now as I have the keys early, and they loved the space. They were locked up behind the gate when we humans were unloading stuff into the garage and obviously wanted to join us.

One of my girls can almost scale the 6ft gate, she hasnt managed as yet, thankfully.

I have another 4 weeks of the transition period and want to ensure that they start to think of that place as our new home and dont freak out when I one day leave them there to go to work.

I cant live in the new house as yet, I can only go there to clean up, and can store some of my stuff, so until its all settled officially we will not be staying overnight there, only visits.

Any tips on how to make the trasition easier for the ferrals??

Crappy pic of the new yard and some fencing

post-3337-0-87052500-1320295164_thumb.jpg

Edited by MonElite

We moved to a larger place last year, and the dogs didn't get the luxury of a transition period. We started moving the furniture, then I took them in the car to the new house and said "Here's home, guys!" For the first few days we kept them confined to the courtyard area attached to the house, except for when I could supervise them on walks around the rest of the place. We have a paddock, about 1000 sq m, which became their supervised play area, so we'd go there 3 or 4 times a day for a play.

Once we had the perimeter secure, we just let them into the larger yard and that became their area during the day. The paddock is gated and they still don't go there unsupervised because we always want to keep that as their daily treat.

When we moved, I had 2 weeks off work and I think that helped the dogs settle in with regular playtimes and spending what time I could outside with them.

Edited by GayleK

I've moved a few times without any dramas. I'd leave something with ur fresh scent on it where they are going to stay the first time you leave them alone. Other than that enjoy your lovely new home :)

Same here. I have never had any problems. My dogs just seemed happy to be wherever we were.

I have not had to work outside the home though.

I moved last year and like you I had a transition period. Each time I brought the dogs up they were stressed and anxious if they couldn't see me. However when I brought them up after the move they were fine. I think they became relaxed when all the familiar things were here.

The idea is that they have the yard to themselves. This was one of the reasons I bought this house, so that the dogs could have more room. So Im not going to build them runs that are smaller then my old backyard, what would be the point of moving miles away from the city, and having more land?

I might make some of the fences higher, but most are already 6ft.

Edited by MonElite

You can buy wooden trellis that goes on top of colourbond fencing. Which can take the height of the fences up another 18 inches. (I think that is 45 cms) It is available from Bunnings, buy what you can afford and add it to the lowest section of the fences first.

I would supervise your dogs for the first few weeks in the backyard/garden, just to make sure you don't have wonderful neighbours, that feel that they might like to give your dogs their leftover cooked bones. Or if the neighbours feel like coming and visiting your dogs :eek: .

Took the ferrals there again today and looked for possible escape places, there are two sections where the fence is 5ft, so no major dramas, OH will put some wires for now, to make it higher.

We also blocked the spot where Divani tried to attempt to jump the 6 ft gate and she has not tried today.

Dogs totally love the place, run around so happy, roll in the grass and follow me everywhere. Of course Furia started to guard, after all we've been there about 3 times, must be some important place ;-)