Turkey Bones For Dogs

jacqui835

I have always fed my dog bones, but recently at my favourite pet shop they had some turkey necks and informed me that turkey is actually a lot more nutritious than chicken - so I would like to switch indefinitely from chicken frames to turkey parts. However, the pet store explained that it's very hard to secure turkey in Adelaide, and now I can't get anymore :(

Does anyone know where I could obtain turkey from? Necks, wings everything and anything (once a week my dog has a whole raw chicken as his meal, and I would like to give him turkey parts here too).

Woolies often has turkey bits. Ask your store meat department manager if they can help you. Otherwise look up turkey/poultry farms & wholesalers and ask them what they can supply you with. Often pet meats are available if you ask, even if they aren't advertised. You may be able to find a free range farm if that is of interest to you.

Have you actually fed your dogs turkey bones?? Some dogs will not eat them.....

Woolies often has turkey bits. Ask your store meat department manager if they can help you. Otherwise look up turkey/poultry farms & wholesalers and ask them what they can supply you with. Often pet meats are available if you ask, even if they aren't advertised. You may be able to find a free range farm if that is of interest to you.

Have you actually fed your dogs turkey bones?? Some dogs will not eat them.....

Yes, I bought 3 turkey necks when they were available and he gobbled it up. Fortunately my dog will eat almost any meat, just has a thing about dry foods. We have him on canidae now which supposedly is meant to be a good one and still he has little time for it :(

Thanks for the advice though. I usually go to coles and they had nothing aside from turkey slices for sandwiches so I will try Woolies and the wholesalers idea sounds good too - might have other good stuff too!

It it is of any help

Turkey necks are usually found in the Woolies I go to in the dog food section. Pre packaged in shrink wrap white.

Turkey Drum Sticks and wings are usually found in the chicken section in the meat dept.

Foodland also often have the turkey drumsticks. Most supermarkets have turkey mince too.

Gawler River Cattle the butchers have great specials on the drumsticks when they get them but its really spasmodic. $1 a kilo last year when I bulk bought them.

IGA, Supa Barn and Woolworths here in Canberra always have turkey wings. For some reason turkey is cheaper than chicken here in Canberra - mince and wings etc My two gets turkey wings 1-2 times a week and love them. It seems to keep their teeth nice and white and they do excited little wiggles when they know it's turkey wing time :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

I get my turkey necks and wings from Woolworths here in NSW - doesn't help you much in SA though, sorry. My dogs LOVE them - the wings are way bigger then chicken and takes the danes a couple of minutes to devour compared to seconds with the chicken LOL

Foodland also often have the turkey drumsticks. Most supermarkets have turkey mince too.

Gawler River Cattle the butchers have great specials on the drumsticks when they get them but its really spasmodic. $1 a kilo last year when I bulk bought them.

I'm near Glenelg - but that sounds like an amazing special and worth traveling for. Hopefully now that Christmas time is approaching there will be more turkeys available!

At this point in time I'm trying to avoid giving him mince, as he will then just sustain himself on mince and the bones and no biscuits and when that happened in the past his fur starting losing pigment because I think he had nutrient deficiencies. Now what I do is leave only biscuits out because he will eat a bit in the evenings once he's inside with the cat (he gets worried that the cat might eat his food because kitty plays with his biscuits), and then once he's finished his bowl, I give him his meaty bone outside. I've bought him the best quality biscuits I can find so that he gets more from eating less of them as it is such a struggle to get him to eat. In the mornings before I go to work I give him a poultry bone which helps to make him not so mopey when I leave (when we wake up, as soon as he sees me putting work clothes on he becomes despondent :( ) so I like to give him something to take his mind off things, and the more nutritious and good for his teeth, the better!

Your nearest drake stores are Castle Plaza, Ascot Park -just off marion road- or west beach.

I used to work there and we stocked plenty of turkey.

You can get the drumsticks and wings in bulk very cheaply, also turkey necks are available from the service deli.

Miss Squish- can you buy direct from Aldinga Turkey?

My local foodland always has turkey necks. they are in the deli meat section, not pre packaged. most supermarkets have turkey wings etc around where i live. My dogs love turkey necks and they often have quite a bit of meat still on them too which is a bonus :-)

It's funny this topic popping up now as I've just splurged and purchased turkey wings in bulk for my boy Zeus and was wondering if they're any good for dogs. I've given him chicken wings previously, but as he's a medium dog, they're gone in about 2 bites and a gulp. He loved the turkey wing I gave him this afternoon and took him about 5 minutes to devour. Will he be getting the benefit of teeth cleaning in so little a time?

Also, while I was deliberating over the turkey wings, I saw chicken frames in the same section. What exactly are these? I'd assumed it was a meat-free carcass but these ones looked like chunks of raw chicken. And how long does it take your dogs to finish them?

And with turkey legs, they seem to have quite a bit of meat on them so are they okay to feed to dogs too?

Oh and I got mine from our local Woolies. Haven't checked out the local Coles or IGA but I'm pretty well stocked for now! :laugh: