Flying With A Large Dog

jacqui835

This Christmas I am looking to go 'back home' to Sydney to see my friends family for a week or so. Now I could not imagine not having my dog with me, and my mum very generously just assumed that if she wanted me at her Christmas lunch she would have to accomodate Sammy too - and so has offered to fly him there and back as my present.

My sister has been looking into it though, and I have some concerns. Just so everyone knows, Sammy is a doberman cross rottweiler cross ridgeback, but red and tan in colour so most people don't recognise him for what he is. I am not sure exactly how heavy he is, but I certainly can not lift him and he was about 35kg at 9 months. I will weigh him at the vet's tonight. If I had to guess for the time being, I would say between 35 and 45kg.

On the Virgin website, it says, "Powerful and strong animals including Staffies, Pit Bulls, German Shepards, Dobermans, Rottweilers etc, can break through plastic and would therefore need to be in a metal container." Now I don't think my dog would try to break out of a container, but does anyone know what these metal cages look like? If that will mean he receives different treatment - ie treated as a dangerous animal, I would like to lie about his breed (on our rental lease he is a weimeraner cross chocolate labrador). He is strong and powerful, but has been in crates before and I really don't imagine that he would try to destroy anything.

Also, some friends of ours had a puppy shipped in from Canberra, and the puppy had to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight and was not able to be picked up until like 2 hours after the flight had landed - and had to spend all that extra time in a warehouse. The puppy was screaching when they got to it, covered in its own feaces. I do not want this for Sammy - is there a way that I can pick him up straight away?

Also for the flight, I was petrified after reading on the Qantas website that, "Air travel can be very stressful to many animals. Although not common there have been occasions when animals have died during a flight as an outcome of becoming highly stressed and anxious. Please discuss the suitability of air travel with your Vet if you think that your pet is likely to become upset in noisy and unfamiliar environments." Should I have him sedated? He would be fine if I was with him, but by himself I have no idea. He is the sort of dog who will follow me up trees and over rocks and out to sea (like no fear if he's with me), but panics a little if he thinks he's lost, or I've left without him or something. He also hates the sensation of changing height - for example in elevators he crouches like he's trying to steady himself and is reluctant to get into one now (but of course fears being left behind more so does). Do people typically recommend sedating their dogs for flying?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure that I'm not putting Sammy at risk for selfish reasons (ie me wanting to have him with me).

Now I don't think my dog would try to break out of a container, but does anyone know what these metal cages look like? If that will mean he receives different treatment - ie treated as a dangerous animal, I would like to lie about his breed (on our rental lease he is a weimeraner cross chocolate labrador). He is strong and powerful, but has been in crates before and I really don't imagine that he would try to destroy anything.

It's just a metal crate, non-collapsible. We hire them through dogtainers, because all of our crates are collapsible, so not airline approved. Our dogs have never been treated differently :)

Also, some friends of ours had a puppy shipped in from Canberra, and the puppy had to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight and was not able to be picked up until like 2 hours after the flight had landed - and had to spend all that extra time in a warehouse. The puppy was screaching when they got to it, covered in its own feaces. I do not want this for Sammy - is there a way that I can pick him up straight away?

I flew to Melbourne and return with Feonix earlier this year - yes, she had to be at the airport about 90 minutes before the flight, but when I arrived I got my luggage and headed to the freight area and she was ready and waiting. I don't recall ever having to wait 2 hours before picking up a dog that I was travelling with. Of course, if you get to the freight area before the dog has been unloaded then you have to wait for the dog to arrive :)

Do people typically recommend sedating their dogs for flying?

Absolutely not! In fact, sedation is actively discouraged because of the increased risk of dehydration and respiratory issues.

I think Virgin have a weight limit too, but I can't find it on their website - I seem to remember that Feonix plus her crate were only about 1kg inside the weight cut off. Feonix weighs 40kg. I'll keep looking and see if I can find it.

ETA: Found it - the weight limit is 65kg, funny I thought it was less than that. Feonix plus her crate were about 55kg, so she wasn't as close to the cut off as I remember :laugh:

Edited by Allerzeit

Thank you so much for the advice, that was a very helpful response especially since you have rotties. I feel much better about taking Sammy with me now on holidays.

Oh thank you and yes so long as the crate isn't more than about 10-15kg I'm sure Sammy + crate won't be over 65kg.

Edited by jacqui835

We have flown our, now passed, male Lab several times over the years (Brisbane to Melb/Melb to Darwin/Darwin to Adelaide) and also passed German Shepherd from Brisbane to Wagga Wagga. We have always used JetPets. Generally speaking, it isn't recommended that animals be sedated during flights. Both Keiran and Casper were always crated in a large wooden crate supplied by JetPets. It had lots of drilled out small circles for ventilation. I doubt very much the stronger breeds will be treated differently than other animals and if they are, it will most likely for reasons of being able to meet their specific size needs rather than temperament etc. I wouldn't have wanted my large breed dogs in a plastic crate; i much prefer that they be in an appropriate container that will assure us of his safety. The last thing i want to see is my dog running down the runway/tarmac etc because the plastic crate had failed somehow.

My personal feeling is that you shouldn't lie about your dog because the carrier and/or intermediary company like JetPets etc cannot meet your dogs needs adequately. the more information you can give regarding your dogs needs, the better; that way their needs can be met in accordance with any airline regulations etc

More recently we flew Wilbur (then 8 weeks) choc lab from Melb to Adel. We used Virgin airlines. The flight was due at 3:30 pm. We were at the freight company just before the flight arrived and by the time he was unloaded from the plane and was transported to the admin area of the freight company it was 4pm. Check with the freight company regarding how long before you can pick your dog up. Dog usually have to be at JetPets well before the flight is due to take off. They have administration etc that they are required to complete and the crate needs to be taken to the aircraft & loaded into cargo etc - this takes time.

Make sure you get your dogs height/weight correct so that the correct sized crate can be used. While there are always horror stories, we've never had any problems flying either our puppy or our last lab and before him, German Shepherd, across the country.

Believe me, I know how you feel :) I stressed so much about Feonix - and she couldn't have cared less. I watched her being loaded in Melbourne, and she looked like she was having the best time, while I'm in the terminal chewing my fingernails to the quicks :rolleyes: :laugh:

Also normally, I think, the animals are loaded on last and taken off first - or at least that's what I was told many years ago, and each time I've been able to watch my dog being loaded it has gone on right at the end.

I flew a Neo Mastiff to Qld from Sydney and he was well over 80 kilos.

We had no choice on the time of the flight as only certain planes could fit him in the hold in his crate.

The crate we used (despite asking for the largest crate they could provide) we had to shove him in. He did not have much room to move around.

I could see him getting loaded as I sat on the plane and he was totally calm, just bemused.

He was fine on arrival and he terrified the staff at the other end with his barking once he heard me in the waiting room asking for him.

He bellowed and bellowed and all the staff raced into the main office as they were frightened that he would break out of the cage.

He was a total sook when I got him out of the crate and the staff couldn't believe me cuddling this big black scary monster. :laugh:

I forgot to add that I dropped him off about 30 mins before my checkin and I got to the cargo area at the other end within 20 mins of landing, (picked up my bags etc) and he had just arrived 10 mins before. We were gone within 35 mins of our landing.

I forgot to add that I dropped him off about 30 mins before my checkin and I got to the cargo area at the other end within 20 mins of landing, (picked up my bags etc) and he had just arrived 10 mins before. We were gone within 35 mins of our landing.

Thank you very much, and yes Allerzeit that will be me - I'm probably the one who will need the sedation lol.

One other thing as well, do you have to go somewhere particular to collect your dog, and do we have to remove him from the airport in his crate or can we just walk him out on lead?

You pick them up from the appropriate freight depot - Virgin Freight for Virgin, AAE for Qantas :) The freight depots are separate from the terminal, so you just go to the depot and collect them, and walk them out of the freight depot on lead :)

We have once picked up a dog from inside a smaller terminal (Albury), and we still walked her out on lead through the terminal - but major cities have freight buildings separate from the terminal buildings.

I have flown black Dobes before and never had an issue with staff being worried about them.

I put a thingo ontop of the crate that has the flight number times etc, my name and mobile plus an emergency contact and a little line that reads My name is Angel and I am very friendly.

I heard one of them chatting to hear when I went to pick her up and he was like oh hello Angel, etc etc and her little stump was wagging, not as much as normal but the fact someone knew her name.

I would get him used to being crated with you away from him before he goes. I would not recommend sedating him at all.

I put a thingo ontop of the crate that has the flight number times etc, my name and mobile plus an emergency contact and a little line that reads My name is Angel and I am very friendly.

Yep, agree with this :thumbsup:

Great idea, I'll do this.

I've flown with Brennan ( German Shepherd) twice. Both times we took the earliest flight possible to avoid the heat. We flew with Qantas and used Dogtainers to hire the crate. The crate was just a wire crate. We didn't need any sedation for her ( for me it was a different story ;)). I simply acted like it was 'no big deal'.

I found that the staff were quite polite and gentle. They understand that people are nervous, love their animals and are very reassuring.

I wouldn't lie about his breed. The statement about powerful and strong breeds is not to say ''these breeds are dangerous'', it's more to say that there is the potential that these breeds may be able to damage/ break the plastic crates.

To be honest, I feel more on edge flying with Brennan. I am less patient when it comes to boarding/ departing the plane, and I just want to get to her.

If you are worried about the heat- rest assured that the cargo section in air planes are the same temperature as in the cabin. Although I still took the earliest flight possible. If you are worried about take off/ landing you can look for a direct flight where possible.

I've flown my previous Dobe Syd-Townsville Then Cairns-Darwin then Alice Springs with no problems (3 separate occasions with Virgin and Qantas). We had our own crate which was a sky kennel, there were no major problems except Trinity poo'd in her crate and we had to clean that up before we could put her and her things in the car. My dad recommended fasting her the day before but she still had some in reserve :laugh:

The vet in townsville prescribed sedatives but I don't think it calmed her down much and they are more likely to overheat that way because they don't stand up and pant. We also wrote her name on her crate.

I'm pretty sure all larger dogs would have to go in a metal crate.

Definitely NO to sedatives! Sammy seems like a pretty relaxed and well behaved boy, sedatives are really only warranted as a last resort for really anxious dogs.

Its not like you've NEVER left him before so I think he should be ok.

Also wouldn't recommend lying about his breed. He may be a cross, but he certainly looks all doberman to the non-expert.

I'm pretty sure all larger dogs would have to go in a metal crate.

Definitely NO to sedatives! Sammy seems like a pretty relaxed and well behaved boy, sedatives are really only warranted as a last resort for really anxious dogs.

Its not like you've NEVER left him before so I think he should be ok.

Also wouldn't recommend lying about his breed. He may be a cross, but he certainly looks all doberman to the non-expert.

Correction, you mean he looks all handsome to the non-expert! He is much cuter than a pure doberman. Dobermans are my passion but they are not a cute breed (they look very serious and majestic), rotties on the other hand have very cute faces (look at those cuties in Allerzeit's signature) so luckily for Sammy, he turned out a cute doberman. You know we have only ever had maybe 2-3 people able to pick his breed and they have all been either current or historic doberman owners. When he was a puppy and we told people that he was a doberman, they asked whether he would darken as he aged...

Anyway, back to flying, thank you so much everyone for the advice, it is very reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who gets this worried about their dog/s and I can look forward to my holiday now without feeling guilty about wanting to take poochy with me.

rotties on the other hand have very cute faces

It's only so they can offset the naughtiness!

innocent1.jpg

Awww that is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen!! Dobermans are my breed but I fear that if I ever found myself in a room with rottie puppies, I would be very unlikely to walk out empty handed... I am not trying to promote cross-breeding here because not of all of Sammy's family turned out as good-looking as him, but it will be hard owning a pure doberman that lacks a bit of that cute rottie face - especially the eyes and not to mention the sooky lovey personality.

And the adult is beautiful too; to be honest, I am more of an adult dog person, but rottweiler pups are very nearly irresistable.