Dog Ramps, Recommendations Please.

juice

After having a few trips to the vets lately, and trying to lift a 37kg dally, and then a lump of a BT into the car( and out again), i think a ramp would be a good idea! :laugh:

I have a magna wagon, so its a bit high, and my dally is now 12 and has arthritus( sp), and my BT just looks at the boot and makes no attempt to get in.

Can anyone advise on a good make, not too pricey.

Are the pretty solid, do the dogs walk on them ok?

After having a few trips to the vets lately, and trying to lift a 37kg dally, and then a lump of a BT into the car( and out again), i think a ramp would be a good idea! :laugh:

I have a magna wagon, so its a bit high, and my dally is now 12 and has arthritus( sp), and my BT just looks at the boot and makes no attempt to get in.

Can anyone advise on a good make, not too pricey.

Are the pretty solid, do the dogs walk on them ok?

Hi juice,

There was a thread some time ago about ramps. There was a suggestion of getting a motor bike ramp and putting carpet on it. Think they were around $100 from Super Cheap Auto or one of those places :)

I used for a while the motor bike ramp with some outdoor carpet cable tied to it. I found though with my 20kg dog that as he got older the ramp was too narrow for him to safely toddle up and down. I then bought a telescoping dog ramp like the one pictured below which are available in my local Pet Stock store. They aren't cheap, but as I have several big dogs and a big jump into my car, they will all probably need it as they get older. They are fairly light weight and not too bulky for what they are.

pPETS-7248205t400.jpg

I saw those on ebay, are you hsppy with it?

It looks like a good ramp but unfortunately doesn't suit the back of our car as it either has to rest on the paintwork :eek: or it won't rest flush to the floor - looking at th epicture of the telescoping one it seems to have better clearance - this one looks like it is supposed to sit on a flat back.

I may be selling it on I think - shame because it is fairly sturdy and wide.

I've got a blind dog so needed a very sturdy and wide ramp. I got one from the US - www.cabelas.com - and am very happy with it. It is the Pet Step II. I found it cheaper to buy from the US, even including the freight cost, than getting a similar one here. Now that the dollar is at parity it would be even better.

Hi juice,

I have a quality ramp i could do a good deal on if you're interested . I have a new in the box Solvit telescopic pet ramp that i bought about 12 - 18 months ago for my late Rotty girl :( , but she just wouldn't walk on it. It was only walked on by my other dog once or twice.

I used for a while the motor bike ramp with some outdoor carpet cable tied to it. I found though with my 20kg dog that as he got older the ramp was too narrow for him to safely toddle up and down. I then bought a telescoping dog ramp like the one pictured below which are available in my local Pet Stock store. They aren't cheap, but as I have several big dogs and a big jump into my car, they will all probably need it as they get older. They are fairly light weight and not too bulky for what they are.

pPETS-7248205t400.jpg

My shephards use one of these