Tips On How To Get A Puppy To Eat More

Huntia

Hi. On Saturday we welcomed a gorgeous 13 week old Rhodesian Ridgeback female to our brood.

She has settled and fitted in with my other 2 RR's amazingly well. She is absoloutely fantastic so far. (touch wood etc) :thumbsup:

The only concern that I have is in the amount she is eating. From Saturday through to Monday she ate 2-3 cups of dry food mixed with some tinned food, as this is what we had been supplied by the breeder. But this morning she hardly ate a thing, :eek: and tonight, when I thought she would hoover the lot up, she ate maybe 2/3. :(

She is very active (when awake :laugh: ) seems healthy, weeing and poing as normal , drinks lots of water. She isn't as plump as I would like. And the breeder did mention that she seemed to be a "fussy" eater.

Does anyone have anytips on how to make her dry food more appetising? I am going to try fresh meat tomorrow instead of tinned to see how that goes but any tips or ideas would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

6347345334_cc17e223d0_m.jpg

Cherry's 1st day v2_2011 11 12_0550 by nicoledwyer22, on Flickr

ETA photo

Edited by Huntia

When Wilbur (lab) arrived at 8 weeks, he wasn't really food motivated; it turned out it was a settling in period. Once he had settled, about 2 weeks, he started hoovering his food up :laugh: We feed him a part kibble/part raw diet.

breakfast: kibble & yoghurt then a few frozen chicken necks. sometimes i mix fruit in with his kibble & yoghurt.

Lunch: 1/3 to 1/2 chicken frame, frozen

Dinner: kibble & the formula (minced lamb, chicken frames, some offal, garlic, parsley) or ground chicken frames or can of sardines in tomato sauce and sometimes i grate a carrot in with his dinner

:love: Cherry is absolutely gorgeous! :love:

When we're travelling our lot usually show less interest in food so we grind some of the Happy Paws Training Treats into powder and sprinkle that over their dinner. We only need a little bit (use it like chocolate dusting on a hot choc) and they wolf it down. Happy Paws also have a ready made product called Perfect Apperteaser if you don't want to grind your own treats. This is a link to their website and they also have a Facebook page.

:love: Cherry is absolutely gorgeous! :love:

When we're travelling our lot usually show less interest in food so we grind some of the Happy Paws Training Treats into powder and sprinkle that over their dinner. We only need a little bit (use it like chocolate dusting on a hot choc) and they wolf it down. Happy Paws also have a ready made product called Perfect Apperteaser if you don't want to grind your own treats. This is a link to their website and they also have a Facebook page.

Thanks Dxenion I will have a look at that. And yes I agree she is gorgeous!! :laugh:

Don't worry too much. If she is at least eating something she won't starve. Give her a week or so to get used to the changes and as Suzi says usually the appetite will pick up. Try not to fuss over her if she doesn't eat and only leave the food down for no more than 20 mins, remove any uneaten portion and do not offer anything until next meal time. This way she will learn to either eat what is put down when it is put down or go hungry. It is rare that a dog will actually starve itself. They may go without food for up to 3 days but will usually eat after that.

I have known a food food phobic dogs but as I said they are the exception rather than the rule.

eta I am at work and can't see photos, otherwise I'd probably be gushing over her but I will have to wait until this evening to have a peek.

Edited by Ams

For pups who are not ill/injured....

Stick to what the breeder was using.

put food down and walk away

pick up bowl after 10 minutes .

No treats/bones until bowl is clean.

You have to be strict with this for a few days .. until she gets the idea.

After a few days, if she is still not eating properly ..... then maybe do something different .

Sometimes, when removed from home..and with no competition , appetite slackens off for a while.

If the breeder marked her as 'fussy' there may be a problem ... but don't start changing food over each day - then you may get a pup who knows that if they wait long enough...something better turns up in the bowl! ;)

:laugh:

Don't worry too much. If she is at least eating something she won't starve. Give her a week or so to get used to the changes and as Suzi says usually the appetite will pick up. Try not to fuss over her if she doesn't eat and only leave the food down for no more than 20 mins, remove any uneaten portion and do not offer anything until next meal time. This way she will learn to either eat what is put down when it is put down or go hungry. It is rare that a dog will actually starve itself. They may go without food for up to 3 days but will usually eat after that.

I have known a food food phobic dogs but as I said they are the exception rather than the rule.

eta I am at work and can't see photos, otherwise I'd probably be gushing over her but I will have to wait until this evening to have a peek.

Thanks. I have been leaving it out for 15 min than taking it away. I think it's me that has the problem with her not eating what i perceive to be enough :laugh: but i would hate to have a fussy eating dog. My other 2 RR's eat everting put in front of them but i do recall having the same "mental" problem when the 17 month old was a puppy :laugh:

But in saying all that keep coming with the tips to help her eat more, because, I would like to see her eat more :thumbsup:

I was worried my puppy wasn't eating enough too, but he is growing really well, and very happy and healthy. He just doesn't eat anywhere the amount that it says to feed them on the packet.

I would say as long as you are feeding the same as the breeder then just be patient, she'll eat when she's hungry.

My pup adores natural yoghurt, you could try her with some of that on the food?

:cheer: I am one happy puppy mummy :happydance: who is pleased to report that said puppy ate all her dinner :thumbsup::champagne::cooldance::dancingelephant:

here's to hoping that it continues!!

Does temperature affect how much puppies eat?

Monday was very hot topped at 40 degrees, yesterday was about 30-35, and today/tonight is quite cool and rainy (i have a jumper on)

Just saw she's been eating more, and the heat definitely makes a difference at our house, even 30 degrees!

Kobi came to us from the breeder as the "fussy eater" who would just pick at food. He's a very slow eater so as other have said we leave the food down for around 15 min then take it away.. if he doesnt eat it at breakfast, he gets it at lunch and so on, he will soon learn that food time is food time!

We also made the decision to feed 1/2 raw and there has never been a time he has turned it down! A few chicken wings should be enough for a meal :)

Kobi's always been a "fine" (skinny) dog, ever since 8 weeks so I wouldnt worry to much about not being puppy chubby!

Good luck, im sure it will pick up once all the newness settles down.. enjoy he's so cute!

Edited by Kobi'sDaisy

Guest english.ivy

For pups who are not ill/injured....

Stick to what the breeder was using.

put food down and walk away

pick up bowl after 10 minutes .

No treats/bones until bowl is clean.

You have to be strict with this for a few days .. until she gets the idea.

After a few days, if she is still not eating properly ..... then maybe do something different .

Sometimes, when removed from home..and with no competition , appetite slackens off for a while.

If the breeder marked her as 'fussy' there may be a problem ... but don't start changing food over each day - then you may get a pup who knows that if they wait long enough...something better turns up in the bowl! ;)

Pers knows best :) I did this with my fussy Belgian Shepherd and three years later she eats anything.

:cheer: I am one happy puppy mummy :happydance: who is pleased to report that said puppy ate all her dinner :thumbsup::champagne::cooldance::dancingelephant:

here's to hoping that it continues!!

Does temperature affect how much puppies eat?

Monday was very hot topped at 40 degrees, yesterday was about 30-35, and today/tonight is quite cool and rainy (i have a jumper on)

Yes, some puppies wont eat anything during a hot day but wait until the cooler night to eat, so feed very late in hot weather. Also remember that a lot of puppies eat varying amounts from day to day. They don't grow at a constant rate and do not eat at a constant rate either. Quite often a few days of light appetitie will be followed by a few days of eating everything they can get hold of, then the appetite will drop off again. My new puppy ate very little during his first two weeks here then started to eat well abotu 5 days out of 7. He is growing well and gaining weight so is obviously getting enough to eat but sometimes he just isn't all that hungry.

I have had dogs that gobbled everything put in front of them and others that seemed to eat practically nothing. With the really low appetitie ones, only offer very small amounts of food and give more if they eat the first bit. I find they are sometimes put off by the sight of a full food bowl but will eat a little bit at a time.

Thanks Everyone for your advice. She still doesn't eat consistently well, but as dacinbs said somedays she doesn't eat much than others she does, a bit like my kids really especially the 3 and 1/2 year old :rofl: .

I took her in for her final vac today and the vets said she looks fantastic and her weight was perfect at 16.8 kgs ( I am kikcking myself for not weighing her when i first got her home :banghead: ).

I have decided to take the approach of --I can't make her eat only present her with something appetising and healthy, and that so long as she is healthy and happy and putting on weight (which i will monitor now lol) that i shouldn't stress over the amount she is eating :crossfingers:

Thanks again :D