Dogs And Pools

iBoz

We have a pool and have trained all the dogs we've owned to swim to the step in order to get out. If they end up in the pool they know where to swim straight away.

With that said the pool is fenced so they can't get to it without supervision. :)

If your dog can touch the bottom i'm sure he will be fine. Tyson likes to bomb dive into the pool and goes right under and he's always been fine. :laugh:

Edited by Jimmay

We have the problem of too much dog, not enough pool in our house :rofl:

30012011_004.jpg

IMGP2660.jpg

I suggest that you put something in the pool, like a step, that allows your dog to climb on and be able to get in and out easily if you are leaving them unsupervised.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Same pool as what Sasha has although I have never seen her do this. She usually just stands in it. Great pic though. Sasha would love it if we lived at the beach though she loves to swim

We have a pool and have trained all the dogs we've owned to swim to the step in order to get out. If they end up in the pool they know where to swim straight away.

With that said the pool is fenced so they can't get to it without supervision. :)

If your dog can touch the bottom i'm sure he will be fine. Tyson likes to bomb dive into the pool and goes right under and he's always been fine. :laugh:

Lots of 'depends' in this question. If the dog can easily get out and has been trained to get out, it's pretty safe. Probably safer for a dog who loves water and goes in all the time than for a dog who may fall in and panic. Dog hair may be rough on your filter. If the dog can stand in the pool and accidentally falls in, it is unlikely to drown unless it gets stuck for hours. If you have doubts, better to leave the dog somewhere where it can't reach the pool when you go out for a long time.

30012011_004.jpg

IMGP2660.jpg

I suggest that you put something in the pool, like a step, that allows your dog to climb on and be able to get in and out easily if you are leaving them unsupervised.

:laugh::laugh: looks just perfect

knows how to get comfortable and cool at same time

we have the clam shell pool also and doesnt get filled up as much with a furkid laying in it

and as others have mentioned I wouldnt cover a pol as mums friend also found her dog passed away as the cover stopped her gettign out :(

Edited by Tara and Sam

30012011_004.jpg

IMGP2660.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Same pool as what Sasha has although I have never seen her do this. She usually just stands in it. Great pic though. Sasha would love it if we lived at the beach though she loves to swim

I also know a family who lost their puppy (the first puppy they had ever owned since they had kids)due to it falling in the pool and ending up under the pool cover, it was just 2 weeks after they got the pup. It was devestating for them but especially the 9 year old as she has already begun training him and had such big plans for the puppy. The puppy was so small it just walked between the slats in the pool fence.

I would love to know where to buy a shallow pool like a kids shell pool only bigger for a giant breed dog

We get these from Toys R Us ... they come as two for about $40. They are a bit better then the clam shells and they have a flat bottom.

post-1668-0-74915800-1321839246_thumb.jpg

I also know a family who lost their puppy (the first puppy they had ever owned since they had kids)due to it falling in the pool and ending up under the pool cover, it was just 2 weeks after they got the pup. It was devestating for them but especially the 9 year old as she has already begun training him and had such big plans for the puppy. The puppy was so small it just walked between the slats in the pool fence.

That's so sad! :( When my dog was a puppy we had to block off half the backyard so she wouldn't go through or under the pool fence. then we discovered that she hates water anyway. now she's too big to fit through

I've also hear first hand horror stories of dogs drowning under pool covers and in inground pools (unfenced). I guess the smaller clam type pool for the OP's dog, which it can hop in and out of, is fine, and probably better off uncovered.

We have an fully fenced inground pool and until the dogs were adults, there was extra fine netting around the fence to stop any unwanted entries. As mini-schnauzers, they're not great water dogs and only went in the pool if running around the edge while I or the kids were swimming and they fell in. Hopeless swimmers, and no matter how much I try to teach Lucy to swim to the steps each summer, she never gets it and ends up going vertical instead of horizontal :laugh: The pool gate is never propped open.

After my mother told me once that she chased a duck on their pool (fenced across half the backyard) fell in and had to be rescued, that was the last time she stayed there :eek: Much safer in the boarding kennel these days!

Covers on pools reminded me of an instance years ago - friend and I stayed at a motel overnight before a show. Show morning friend who was dressed ready to leave, got her English Springer out of the trailer for a walk. As they came back into the motel grounds she let him loose saying "into the trailer". Dog heads for the trailer, unfortunately between him and the trailer was an inground pool with a cover. Dog just ran straight over it, the cover started to fold in and dog was disappearing into the pool. Friend had to jump in and rescue him. Luckily Group 3 was on second, weather warmed up so both dog and friend had nearly dried out when it was time to go in the ring :laugh:

pebbles - that reminds me of the time that our dog has a piece of food stolen from his bowl by a bird. He took off after the bird that flew on to the side fence ... unfortunately between fence and dog was a pool. Dog walked on water until about half way across the pool before sinking like a stone :o

I will admit we did stand there and laugh at him but he did have the most shocked look on his face. He swam back to the step with a little encouragement ... and then returned to finish off his breakfast.

I would love to know where to buy a shallow pool like a kids shell pool only bigger for a giant breed dog

My brother has a rigid pond shell for his large mutts - rectangle, 30cm deep and I'd guesstimate twice the area of a standard clam pool.