Conformation Points

just1more

Hi all

Was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where I can find out about how points are obtained in conformation shows, or if you have a sec, tell me how it all works here? :confused: I'm new the show scene and just want to know how the system works. What do the dogs have to win to obtain points? How you go about "collecting" them? etc.... Nice simple terms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :thumbsup:

in simple terms, your dog has to be over 6 months old before it can win points and to win the points it need to win either bitch or dog challenge. Then it dpends on how many of it's own sex they defeated on how many points they get. If they win best of breed they get points for all the dogs of the same breed they defeated, not counting baby puppies. Clear as mud :D

Hi all

Was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of where I can find out about how points are obtained in conformation shows, or if you have a sec, tell me how it all works here? :confused: I'm new the show scene and just want to know how the system works. What do the dogs have to win to obtain points? How you go about "collecting" them? etc.... Nice simple terms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :thumbsup:

Go to the FAQ in the pinned section of this forum http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/163330-show-ring-f-a-q/ and you will find it all explained

They have to win best bitch or dog of that breed, or best of breed to get points. They have to be over 6 months of age to be able to compete for points (3-6 months are baby puppies and they only compete against other baby puppies, but not for points.)

Here's an example using last Saturdays show.

Australian Shepherd males, there were 4....one puppy, one junior, two intermediates. The puppy won his class as he was the only one in it, same with the junior. The black tri intermediate beat the blue merle, so the line up for dog challenge was intermediate, junior and puppy. The intermediate won the dog challenge and got 9 points......5 points plus one for himself and one each for the three dogs he beat.

Same breed, bitches. Can't remember the exact number but the open bitch won the bitch challenge then she and the intermediate dog competed for best of breed which went to the bitch. So she got points for all the dogs and all the bitches of that breed because she beat them all. I think she ended up with 13 points. The intermediate dog won runner up of breed but didn't get any more points other than his original 9.

The maximum points that can be won at any show is 25 and a dog winning best in group or best in show would get 25 points. No points are awarded for class in group of show (junior in group, puppy in show etc).

Edited by Gayle.

Championship Shows only.

maximum points available to be gained is 25 at any one show.

Challenge Dog is awarded 5 points for the challenge & one point for every exhibit over the age of 6 months including yours (babies don't count.

Bitch challenge same as the dog.

Best of breed is awarded one additional point for every exhibit from the opposite sex.

To gain max points from breed there would have to be at least 20 eligible entries

One point for each exhibit + 5 for the challenge.

If you win Best in Group your dog will be awarded additional points to the max if necessary.

Ditto Best in show.

Repeat. max points available at any show is 25.

100 points required to be made up to champion

The final 25 have to be obtained over the the age of 12 months.

Edit.

Total points gained will be recorded on the Best of Breed/Challenge Cerificate

Make sure you pick them up, they have to be produce when/if you apply for a championship certificate.

Edited by stone

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Pretty sure I understood all that :dunce:

So, I entered my boy in a show last week end and he won Minor of breed so for that he gets nothing, right? Was there something I should have received for it? I see dog profiles in here and they note all their wins, so if you don't get anything how do/can you prove it? He went up against the rest of the boys and the open boy won and intermediate was second. The open boy went up against the open bitch and won, then I think she beat the intermediate boy. I then went in against the other minor puppies in group and the tenterfield won so we went home. If my boy had won BIG minor puppy would he had recieved points for that even though he didn't get BOB?

So, BOB get points, then if they win BIG they get more and then BIS more up to max 25 points total.

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Pretty sure I understood all that :dunce:

So, BOB get points, then if they win BIG they get more and then BIS more up to max 25 points total.

Kind of getting it :)

The Open boy of your breed would get the points (as would the Open bitch).

Had you won Minor Puppy in Group, you'd still get no points, but you would probably get a nice fringy ribbon :)

Last comment is spot on :D

Ok, so unless they come first overall in their breed then there's no points for ANY win in any CLASS ie. minor puppy of breed or minor puppy of group wins equal no points unless they beat all other classes in their breed and/or group. Ok, I get that bit now. Thanks :)

Yes, the points are for the best dog and the best bitch out of the whole breed, not just each age group :)

After that it's best overall (like best of breed, best of group, best in show) but if you don't win best dog or best bitch of the whole breed then there's no points.

:thumbsup: Thank you. I think I've got it now...now to continue on our merry show way. 2 shows down and counting :D might get some points one day. If not, I still have the best dogs laying beside me now anyway even without a CH at the front of their names :p

Hi I am relatively new to all this as well, and I found the lack of info available all a bit too much. Luckily my mum has been breeding and showing dogs for just on thirty five years so i pester her incessantly with all my questions.

Basically, and this is as simply as I can put it. You have to win either a Dog Challenge (commonly typed as DCC) or Bitch Challenge (BCC) to get any points.

To get a challenge you have to first win your class. You have to be out of Baby Puppy, and your dog older than 6 months old to be able to go into the Challenge line up.

All the winners of the Dog Classes (Minor, Junior, Open, etc) go into one line up and the 1st placed dog gets the challenge points. They also award a Runner Up Dog Challenge, (RDCC) but there is no points for these.

Then they do the same for the Bitches.

The amount of dogs determines how many points you get.

But basically the formula is 5 + 1 point for each dog that you beat in that sex, excluding Baby Puppy.

Then the best dog and the best bitch run off for Best of Breed. (BOB)

Then whoever wins that is called the Best of Breed, so gets 5 points plus one point for all the dogs that are there of that breed (excluding the babies once more). Your dog does not have to win BOB to get challenge points.

Then they compete for Runner Up Best of breed, who also gets no points

Then the Best of Breed goes into the Group line-up, and then you compete for Best of Group. If you win Best of Group, you then go through to Best in Show. Group and Show = 25 points.

Everytime you either get a Challenge or a Best of Breed you get a certificate (there's one for Dog Challenge, Bitch Challenge, Best Of Breed, etc) and it totals the number of points your dog has won. You collect these from the show secretary usually at the conclusion of the show. (because the judge has to sign them). Keep them safe, (you'll probably treasure them as I do anyway) because once your dog gets 100 points you need to send them in to the Kennel Control with a form to get your title.

Hope this helps. Its all a bit much but basically, you have to first get DCC or BCC to get any points. and then it goes from there. the most you can get is 25 points at any show.

I would think that would be a rare occurrence, if it has in fact ever happened.

Rare? Improbable?

Absolutely.

But possible.

just as getting a hat trick in cricket in three seperate overs is rare.

But it has been done.

Swervin' Mervin' did it for one.

Championship Shows only.

Challenge Dog is awarded 5 points for the challenge & one point for every exhibit over the age of 6 months including yours (babies don't count.

Best of breed is awarded one additional point for every exhibit from the opposite sex.

To gain max points from breed there would have to be at least 20 eligible entries

If you win Best in Group your dog will be awarded additional points to the max if necessary.

Ditto Best in show.

Edit.

Make sure you pick them up, they have to be produce when/if you apply for a championship certificate.

correct me if I'm wrong - but I think the ANKC just removed that aspect of the rule when they changed the grand title again? Or did I read that wrong somewhere?

Rare? Improbable?

Absolutely.

But possible.

But it has been done.

Rare yes, but I have seen it at group level. RUBOB was also RUBIG for no challenge points I think.

Fill me in on how Merve Hughes did it. I can't work out the maths for this. I know he got one over two innings (he got the last wicket of the innings and then when he came on to bowl in the second innings he got another one on the first ball of his first over in that innings) I just can't work out how over three overs....

Championship Shows only.

Ditto Best in show.

Edit.

correct me if I'm wrong - but I think the ANKC just removed that aspect of the rule when they changed the grand title again? Or did I read that wrong somewhere?

Rare? Improbable?

Absolutely.

But possible.

But it has been done.

Rare yes, but I have seen it at group level. RUBOB was also RUBIG for no challenge points I think.

Fill me in on how Merve Hughes did it. I can't work out the maths for this. I know he got one over two innings (he got the last wicket of the innings and then when he came on to bowl in the second innings he got another one on the first ball of his first over in that innings) I just can't work out how over three overs....

Merv took a wicket with the last ball of one over, the last wicket of the innings with the first ball of his next over & a wicket with his first ball of the next innings.

From memory, all wickets weren't even taken on the same day.

Edit.

It was a test match.

As for the R/U BIS thing.

While the specialty example is valid. In reality BIS speciality is akin to BOB. R/U BOB

It is within the realms of possibility, but highly improbable, that the R/U best at the Sydney Royal could beat 4,000+ dogs & still not be awarded any championship points.

Edited by stone

Merv took a wicket with the last ball of one over, the last wicket of the innings with the first ball of his next over & a wicket with his first ball of the next innings.

From memory, all wickets weren't even taken on the same day.

Edit.

It was a test match.

As for the R/U BIS thing.

While the specialty example is valid. In reality BIS speciality is akin to BOB. R/U BOB

It is within the realms of possibility, but highly improbable, that the R/U best at the Sydney Royal could beat 4,000+ dogs & still not be awarded any championship points.

Thanks for the explanation of Merv's hat trick - that makes sense.

With the RUBIS at Sydney Royal - I dont think it could be done as none of the RUBOB go through to compete at group - group is like at adelaide where it is BIG 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th - same for in show. (BIS, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th)