Upset Tummy Again

best4koda

Mmmm....not sure what to do with my Koda. Last week or so she got the runs, starved her then she was fine. In the last week she got it a bit again then she was ok. Yesterday she had to be crated for quite a while then in the afternoon she got them again. Have starved her over night but this morning she is going a bit still. I'm not sure why she's unstable again. Not sure if I should wait till monday to take her to the vet. A little bit more axious about it as of the 5/12 she has to go into boarding for 17 days then fly to WA. Not sure if the chicken frame she had had a little too much fat in it and that set her off or if she needs some drugs to relieve the stomach again. Such a puzzle it's driving me insane. Does anyone know if you can give them inner health capsules to help the stomach flora. I don't have any other probiotic.

She seems to be an IBS/allergy dog.

Edited by best4koda

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have given one of my dogs innerhealth plus daily before for the entire bottle (about 30 days worth i think) when she suffered an upset stomach secondry to me changing her buscuits (I am convinced it was this) it went on for about 4 weeks and then she was passing mucous, no vomitting and she wasnt unwell in herself. Slippery elm was also given as reccomended by my vet at the time - they told me to use the inner health (they are a holistic vet practice as well as conventional) i also had to feed her the boiled chicken and rice for a few weeks and twice i gave her scourban which i believed also helped. her guts were obviously so irritated. it all settled down but at the time i was beside myself.

hope your dog feels better soon.

maybe ask your vet to do a fecal test? i know i did at the time but it came back negative for anything. i just wanted to make sure though we werent missing something.

Edited by bjazld

Definitely take a sample to the vets.. There are a million and one things that it could be and you could forever be eliminating things from her diet to trial and error what works. Vet would be able to rule out a few things and even pinpoint the problem if there are bugs etc. :)

Well we ended up at the vets this morning after finding blood in the motions this morning. Took a sample so they could see. Have had samples tested before. She has a temp so is on antibiotics and was given a shot of anti-inflammatories to help the temp. Once she is stable again I will just keep her on the kibble until we move in 2 weeks as she has to be boarded. Once moved I will test out Protexin. After the antibiotics I will give her some inner health plus as I have that. Probably will try some slippery elm after we move as well to help her. How much do you feed them? Has anyone tried thrive D and the enzyme one from the same company as well? I'm opting for naturual if I can. The vet said she is in good condition for a dog with stomach issues so if we can just get a handle on it would be a relief.

Have you guys tried Protexin? So many people swear by it.

It's fantastic on sick horses with scours or stomach issues. Luckily I've never had to use it on a dog.

http://www.iahp.com.au/datasheets/Protexin.pdf

Edit: I shouldn't skim read! Your already going to try it. There is also Enzyplex, that I've heard is good for IBS.

Edited by Inevitablue

i was giving 1-2 teaspoons daily of slippery elm from memory

sounds like the protexin is also a good product.

I wouldnt try too many things at once though, it might overload her system...??

did the vets mention what it might be? ...

Vets initially suspected EPI but due to her recovering from these upsets quickly back to solid stools quickly it is suspected that she is sensative to a few things which causes her to get inflamed....possible IBS reaction. We have found removing lamb, beef and fat from her diet that she generally is ok. I think I messed her diet up trying to bring things back into her diet. I just feel bad she is so limited.

Yep won't be trying too many things at a time. I will be doing one at a time. Hopefully one of these things will even out her insides so she can be more tolerant. It all started when I moved her to more expensive dog food. Why I do not know but that is when it became an issue. SO i am keen to try some probiotics to see if it's a gut flora issue.

One of mine had a sensitive tum and was never really flash for the first 2 years of his life, when his stools hardened and you thought "oh great" everything is looking fine, he would get the runs again out of the blue? Did all the vet stuff, sort of found a couple of possibilities and was treated, but didn't fix it. What did fix things beautifully, he was previously on home cooked food as I have fed all my dogs for years and what was recommended to try was 2 meals a day, some kibble in the morning covered in plain yoghurt for the priobotics effect, only ever used Royal Canin and Pro Plan, but this feeding regime completely sorted him out and since being 2 years later, his stools have been perfect, really did the trick?.

Yesterday,Dr. Karen Hedberg did a presentation for our GSD club members on GSD health disorders.

Quite a bit of what she covered was on gut disorders and was very interesting.

Dr. Hedberg is recognised as being one of the leading vets in Australia, when it comes to health problems concerned with GSD's.

http://www.gsdcv.org.au/sites/default/files/file/Breed%20Affairs/Immunological_Disorders_in_the_GSD_Hedberg.pdf

If you check out this link, it contains the lecture notes that she presented. You may find some helpful information here.

Thanks. I am checking it out now. I do feed twice a day as that was previously suggested to put less load on the gut. I think I will be trying out the protexin then some slippery elm too....has anyone here used the thrive D product as well with dogs that had dodgy stomachs?

Very interesting reading. I definitely will be doing the protexin and slippery elm as suggested in the link. I will also remove the gluten aspect as well and see how that goes too. Of course step by step as well so we don't upset her too much.

Can I ask where you bought your chicken frames from? The reason that I ask is that I had a dog react frequently when I bought chicken frames from a particular source (that I will not name here). Didn't react every time, but more than 50% of the time. PM if you prefer - and fully understand that you may well be in a totally different area to me.

Can I ask where you bought your chicken frames from? The reason that I ask is that I had a dog react frequently when I bought chicken frames from a particular source (that I will not name here). Didn't react every time, but more than 50% of the time. PM if you prefer - and fully understand that you may well be in a totally different area to me.

I PM'd you as suggested.

Found the above presso very interesting. Just checked the ingredients on supercoat sensative which is the only kibble that Koda seems to tolerate. Only grains in it are rice and sorghum which are gluten free compared with other kibbles we have tried. In the presso Karen mentions gluten free not just grain free which is the first time I've had that mentioned which makes it even a bit clearer to what you are looking for in a kibble regarding grains.

Thank you for linking this presso Echo. I have also sent it to a staff member of a dog kennel that presently have a couple of dogs they can't finger out and get to not have the runs. She straight away asked for a copy as well when the dogs sounded similar to mine and that this info might help them sort them out.

Thank you.