Nu-nu The Not So Lucky Pug

Some of you may remember my post about Nu-Nu my parents pug who ate a mouldy sandwich last year and was in hospital for several days (and nearly passed away). She is now a "star" in the vet lectures - she was treated at Sydney Uni Vet Hospital.

Well she has been going very well... until now!

On Sunday my brother noticed that she was unable to use her back legs and had vomited. My sister and I raced over to take her straight to Sydney Uni Vet. We were worried it was a stroke or something to do with the mouldy sandwich.

Unfortunately during the car ride I noticed a lump on her - which I quickly identified as an engorged Paralysis tick :eek: I have never seen one before.

The vet took her straight into the back to remove the tick (and check for anymore). She was then given the anti-serum. She has been progressing well and we are hopeful that her prognosis will be good.

She had apparently likely had it since the previous sunday - when she accompanied my dad into the bush to "garden" at their weekend house on the Central Coast. My parent's hadn't gotten around to giving her FrontLine Plus yet.

So poor Nu-Nu the "miracle pug" needs another miracle - hopefully she will pull through this! She is 13 years old. Vet seems hopeful as she hasn't gotten worse yet, didn't go into shock after the anti-serum and hasn't needed oxygen etc. But apparently it's very hard to know with paralysis ticks.

Can anyone tell me what sort of long term affects will occur (possibly) or will recovery mean she will go back to "normal"? Or is it different for each dog?

Kylie

Well, I have had a little experience, but with larger dogs.

First dog Zac (Lab size) nearly killed by Paralysis tick 1st time. Got anti-venom and he was fine. Another tick a few years later and he was a bit sick but no serum needed.

Current dog Sally (Kelpie) gets them "crawling" on her from time to time, usually brushed off the cats :eek: (that never are bothered by ticks), so I check her every day. Only time she has had them "implanted" are when they are really tiny to see, in winter when they are babies. She will scratch like crazy and a red lump shows but no ill effects. Maybe she has built up na immunity, or they just too small to affect her.

The worst with Pugs is the fact that it affects their breathing. If she hasn't needed oxygen she's going well! :thumbsup:

I have known 3 pugs to die from ticks and all as a result of severe breathing issues. Just on the weekend my Vet was relaying the story to me of a recent case with a pug where they had to perform an emergency tracheotomy. The good news was that he survived apparently.

Edited by ~Anne~

No Oxygen yet - she appears to be pulling through :thumbsup: She might even be able to come home today.

Vet said often dogs get anxious because they cannot move/walk properly - Nu-Nu isn't though :laugh: she prefers to sleep anyway!

She really is a "survivor" although most of the issues she has had have been related to her eating things she just shouldn't (i.e. mouldy sandwich).

Thanks for all the good wishes - we are all hoping she comes home soon! My parents other dog (Maltese cross) is very anxious without her buddy.

Excellent news :thumbsup:

Nu Nu is home - she really is a miracle :thumbsup:

She has to be kept quiet for a month as the poison may still be affecting her heart. But that's not a problem with a 13 year old pug :laugh: She being spoiled rotten by my sister i.e. carried around and snuggled with.

*phew*