My Delta Girl Lacy And Tully

tlc

Well it is nearly 12 months on now so I thought I'd pop a post up of the progress my girls have made through the year, They have been loving the visits they do at our local hospital, the program has been well received and everyone just loves having the dogs at the hospital, staff as well as the patients.

Tully is just absolutely made for therapy work, from the minute we walk int he place she is just brilliant, she knows exactly what to do, I wouldn't even know I have her at the other end of the leash, she is gentle with patients, she does tricks for the kids that want tricks and sits quietly for the ones that are too sick for tricks, she has some kind of built in radar that lets her know how to behave around each patient, she seems to know what each of them need which is great, she is a joy to take and she loves every minute of it.

Now miss Lacy (aka the Princess) she thinks that everyone in the hospital is there souly for her enjoyment and entertainment and to love her unconditionally, she is really quite funny, totally different to Tully and loves everyone to the fullest. I go to to the park first for them to do their business before we go and she jumps out of the car does what she has to do and runs back to the car, she certainly knows where we are going. :laugh: She cries in the car if I don't get a park right away and have to drive around the block and then goes at break neck speed to get in the door. :laugh: I have to be a bit more on my game with Lacy, she is a licker so she knows no lick but needs reminding occasionally and she needs to be reminded where she is, she is the same with every patient.

I must say I love taking both of them but I enjoy it more with Tully as she just "knows" why she is there and exactly what to do.

I have a few photos to post and hope that if anyone else had Delta news, new recruits etc they will pop in here and give us an update.

The original thread is here if anyone wants to have a read.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/201052-lacy-and-tully-and-thier-quest-to-become-delta-dogs/page__p__4687168__fromsearch__1#entry4687168

Earlier in the year we got to meet Bob the Builder at the Bunnings Volunteer day

DSCN3202.jpg

Here with Shannon and Mawson (Shannon is DOLer Mawson)

DSCN3255.jpg

Maws with his doggles on

IMG_3273.jpg

Love this shot of Tully and one of the patients, she loved seeing the dogs each week and they loved her too.

IMG_3283.jpg

Maws too big to get on the bed. :laugh:

IMG_3295.jpg

Edited by tlc

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lacy in the lift which I was initially worried about but they have had no trouble at all with the lifts

IMG_3918.jpg

On one of the lifting devices at Bunnings on the volley day

DSCN3250.jpg

Getting ready for work

IMG_5300.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

Tully and Mawson

IMG_5307.jpg

Lacy and Maws

IMG_5721.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

Edited by tlc

We were lucky enough to get a new hospital this year, these were taken today, its not quite finished yet but we get to visit the nice new area which is great.

IMG_5715.jpg

IMG_5714.jpg

Last shot of the Prinny, she knows where she is going. :laugh:

ItsThursday.jpg

And lastly a link to last years festivities at xmas time, the dogs had a great day and all the patients loved seeing them in their Christmas attire. :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150107376506844.307421.609066843&type=1&l=1110c915b8

It's not hard to get into, and it is just win win for everyone involved, such a great program. Hope some others pop in to share their stories. There is some sadness at times obviously in aged care and when people are really sick and that is a bit hard to cope with at times, I recently lost my step dad so I had a few weeks off, just didn't feel like being around the hospital for a bit. My friend recently lost her Delta dog (my youngest brother) and the residents of her facility were heart broken. They just look forward to their visits each week and they get really attached to the dogs. With the hospital its not so much because the patients come and go so each facility is different.

Wow great pics and thanks for sharing. i have been working hard at obedience as this is what i want to do with sasha. sounds like sasha might be like lacey lol. Contacted delta a while ago and they said the next round in my area would be in nov or dec so im waiting to hear back. i really hope we do get accepted though as i think its a fantastic thing and i know how an animal can brighten up your day. do you have any tips on things that i could work on to prepare my dog overall?

It's not hard to get into, and it is just win win for everyone involved, such a great program. Hope some others pop in to share their stories. There is some sadness at times obviously in aged care and when people are really sick and that is a bit hard to cope with at times, I recently lost my step dad so I had a few weeks off, just didn't feel like being around the hospital for a bit. My friend recently lost her Delta dog (my youngest brother) and the residents of her facility were heart broken. They just look forward to their visits each week and they get really attached to the dogs. With the hospital its not so much because the patients come and go so each facility is different.

Lovely photos! My Border Terrier is booked in for testing at the next day in Sydney (early March?) and I'm really looking forward to it - I think he will be good.

My daughter has a rescue greyhound who would be perfect, too - he's also booked in for testing.

Fingers crossed! I think it's a very worthwhile project...

Fantastic photos tlc.How do you get into these programmes? I am on the Central Coast NSW one hour north of Sydney.My rescue greyhounds would be perfect for this.

Go to the Delta website:

http://www.deltasocietyaustralia.com.au/Volunteers/Become

and read up on it there.....it looks like there's a branch which deals with the central coast of NSW which would be your go.

Fantastic photos tlc.How do you get into these programmes? I am on the Central Coast NSW one hour north of Sydney.My rescue greyhounds would be perfect for this.

Go to the Delta website:

http://www.deltasocietyaustralia.com.au/Volunteers/Become

and read up on it there.....it looks like there's a branch which deals with the central coast of NSW which would be your go.

Thank you for the info. :)

Well done!! I have been doing with Demi for a few months now to an aged care facility. During that time she has danced with some performers, had snoozes on residents beds and generally been adored. She now is always on the lookout for a walker or wheelchair to go and sit next to because she knows she gets a treat for it.

The residents now all love her, even those that were not really sure about having a dog come in.

Totally worth the effort to become involved!!

Gorgeous pics! A very worthwhile thing to do. Something I'd love to do with panto, especially after chatting with Jumabaar and Demi about it, but I think our ship may have sailed on that one, she's already 9, and can be a bit hit and miss with the 'taking food gently' because she's so food driven.

Wow great pics and thanks for sharing. i have been working hard at obedience as this is what i want to do with sasha. sounds like sasha might be like lacey lol. Contacted delta a while ago and they said the next round in my area would be in nov or dec so im waiting to hear back. i really hope we do get accepted though as i think its a fantastic thing and i know how an animal can brighten up your day. do you have any tips on things that i could work on to prepare my dog overall?

Well good luck with your assessment, if they haven't contacted you make sure you contact them again, most of the program is run by volunteers and they can get very busy especially at this time of year. As far as tips go I think if your dog is friendly and has general obedience you should be fine, the assessment was easy although in saying that I know of a lady who's dog didn't pass due to the dog being too friendly and even though she is obedience trained she was just too over the top. They don't allow harnesses of any sort for the assessment. I remember how worried I was that my girls wouldn't pass but afterwards I could see that there was never any doubt. and whats the worst that can happen, just try again next time. My dogs are all Cocker Spaniel x Poodle

Lovely photos! My Border Terrier is booked in for testing at the next day in Sydney (early March?) and I'm really looking forward to it - I think he will be good.

My daughter has a rescue greyhound who would be perfect, too - he's also booked in for testing.

Fingers crossed! I think it's a very worthwhile project...

Good luck to you guys, I do think greys would be awesome as Therapy Dogs, they have something calming about them I think!

Toshman is onto it with the delta webiste, it is very informative.

Well done!! I have been doing with Demi for a few months now to an aged care facility. During that time she has danced with some performers, had snoozes on residents beds and generally been adored. She now is always on the lookout for a walker or wheelchair to go and sit next to because she knows she gets a treat for it.

The residents now all love her, even those that were not really sure about having a dog come in.

Totally worth the effort to become involved!!

Your right it is totally worth it, Is Demi your Kelpie? I think it is fantastic when you see breeds doing Delta that are usually marked as working dogs, it goes to show how different breeds can adapt to being anything really. I get sick of people telling me my dogs must be nutters because of the cross they are but they are the exact opposite, my girls just love their "job" and are always looking to me as if to say "I did good mum didn't I" I get so much enjoyment out of their work too, it is lovely when you hear stores from patients about how the dogs make their time a little easier.

An example from a couple of weeks ago, we were going to by pass a room as the lady looked to be asleep and had people standing around her bed, the patients daughter called me in and said please can mum see the dog, I said yes of course, mum was very elderly and was heavily medicated and seemed asleep the daughter got the mums hand and petted Tully while I held her up and the daughter said that was the first time in weeks that the mum then became relaxed, just from one little pat. Animals as therapy is amazing.

Absolutely gorgeous doggies. Congratulations to them and you for this great work :thumbsup:

Thanks. :)

Lovely photo's- the girls look like they love their job

They sure do, I would love to take more photos with patients because some of them are just brilliant, the lady int he photos above had dogs at home and she was very open to having her photo taken and wasn't worried if I used it, she had treats ready for the dogs every week, she even had her friends there for when the dogs visited so they could enjoy them too. :laugh:

Gorgeous pics! A very worthwhile thing to do. Something I'd love to do with panto, especially after chatting with Jumabaar and Demi about it, but I think our ship may have sailed on that one, she's already 9, and can be a bit hit and miss with the 'taking food gently' because she's so food driven.

I am not surgeon the rules now with age, i know once the dog hits 8 they have to be assessed every year. As far as food goes, you can always ask for the dog not to be fed, I started off not wanting the girls to be fed unless I was handing out the treats for a trick etc, but you would have to be on guard, it seems built into some people to feed feed feed :laugh: One guy one day as we were walking out of the room called us back and as Tully turned around he stuck a whole sweet bicky in her mouth. :laugh: I didn't get a chance to say no food and I didn't have the heart to take it off her, so there she sat till the bicky and all the crumbs were gone.

So now it is a case by case basis, but the dogs do sometimes expect to get food it doesn't take them long to figure out that these rooms have food somewhere. :laugh:

But it is all good, My friend who recently lost her dog, she visited a nursing home and a centre for mentally disabled people (hope that is the right term) the nursing hem was fine and all the residents would be in one big room for the visit and the dog got a small bit of treat (shacko) from each patient. But at the other place the residents were hard on the dog, pinching, hitting, pulling tails that sort of thing and he just took it in his stride. My friend got to know after a while who the pinchers and hitters were and steered clear as much as she could and was very careful to avoid those situations. I will admit I don't think I could subject my girls to any sort of rough treatment from patients, mind you some of the kids can be a bit rough but the girls seem to accept that ok.

Panto, do you have a younger dog you could train up for Delta, might be a good excuse to get a new doggy. :)

Oh look at them!! They're lovely wee girls and you should be very proud of them! :thumbsup:

I have to say Mawson is a very handsome boy aswell!!

Mawson is totally awesome, he is best mates with all of my guys, they just love him and he is the uber perfcet Delta dog, everyone loves him.

Here a little vid of the dogs out of uniform so to speak. :laugh:

They are beautiful and you've done an awesome job with them too :)

Thanks.

What a lovely update tlc! The photos are gorgeous and it sounds like they absolutely love what they're doing. What a wonderful way to make a difference in someone's life. :D :thumbsup:

It really is as great as it sounds, the good outweighs the bad/sad side it really does.

I had a couple of PMs asking me about Delta and about doing an update and I had been going to for a while.

Demi is my Finnish Lapphund, although Abby made it through too- I was going to alternate them but all the residents want Demi!! So poor abby is just the substitute when Demi is on heat.

I was told plenty of times that Abby was unsuitable for Delta but she loves people and so I went for it anyway!! Finnish Lapphunds however I think were put on earth to do this type of thing! Demi's father Magnus (owned by Sno Fyre) also does therapy work. I will admit that Abby does most of her work 'in drive' so it is a lot more draining for me to keep her from performing her tricks for everyone but it certainly doesn't mean she can't do it.

Demi has had a fair few treats snuck to her illegally by residents. I couldn't work out why she would stop at random peoples door until I saw a tiny bit of biccy get popped to her. I have just made it clear to everyone that it is Milk Arrowroot biscuits only as I know they get them for morning tea and that she only gets a tiny piece. I figured it was better to put in rules than continue to have sneaks :laugh:

Edited by Jumabaar