Cutting Dark Nails On A Puppy?

My two puppies have dark, almost black nails and it is so hard to know how much to cut off. I know that you have to avoid the quick and am very scared of hitting it, but it is impossible to see where that is on the nails that are dark. Everytime i cut them they seem so so long! how do you know how much is safe to cut?

Turn wrist back on to itself so you can see from under the nail. This way you can see where the quick ends and what is just empty nail. Just take a tiny bit off each time, you soon then get to learn where is best to stop.

Guest english.ivy

Thanks Clyde, I didn't know you could turn over their paw and see that way!

I once cut a black nail too far on my Belgian and learnt my lesson! Though now her nails don't need cutting as a three year old.

Turn wrist back on to itself so you can see from under the nail. This way you can see where the quick ends and what is just empty nail. Just take a tiny bit off each time, you soon then get to learn where is best to stop.

Thankyou, ive been trying to do this, but you would know how hard it is to convince a 12 week old and a 17 week old puppy of this~!

Thankyou, ive been trying to do this, but you would know how hard it is to convince a 12 week old and a 17 week old puppy of this~!

:laugh: It's a struggle! Put puppy up high on a bench, it quietens them a bit and makes them easier to handle.

That is why pups need to be accustomed to having their feet, mouths, ears handled daily from the start.

From birth I handle pups and look in between toes, in their ears etc they lay on their backs on my lap and sleep for tick search etc. If you start with an older pup, do it during quiet time whilst they are sleeping next to you, sitting on your lap etc, every day, several times a day if they resist do one foot ear at a time then treat, until it is just a fact of life for them.

I teach them to accept dosing with medication the same way, so much easier and no fights as they get older.

Edited by Crisovar

As above. Also look at puppies feet when standing on the ground if the nail is not touching the ground then you can leave it alone.

Another handy tip is when looking at the underneath of the nail there is a circle in the middle, if it is white you can trim a little at a time as soon as the circle turns black stop because you are approaching the quick.

With practice (I cut about 1000 nails a month ;) ) you get a feel for the shape and area to cut without even looking under.

Black nails are the hardest. If the quick is very long - and one of my dogs has this then it is sometimes advisable to get the vet to cut if the dog is under for an op etc and the quick will shrink back - don`t do this yourself though.

Also I use cat nail clippers - very small and versatile and I find them so much easier than guillotines. Cost about $5 from pet shops and are scissor shaped.

As above. Also look at puppies feet when standing on the ground if the nail is not touching the ground then you can leave it alone.

Another handy tip is when looking at the underneath of the nail there is a circle in the middle, if it is white you can trim a little at a time as soon as the circle turns black stop because you are approaching the quick.

With practice (I cut about 1000 nails a month ;) ) you get a feel for the shape and area to cut without even looking under.

Black nails are the hardest. If the quick is very long - and one of my dogs has this then it is sometimes advisable to get the vet to cut if the dog is under for an op etc and the quick will shrink back - don`t do this yourself though.

Also I use cat nail clippers - very small and versatile and I find them so much easier than guillotines. Cost about $5 from pet shops and are scissor shaped.

thank you for this! i already use the cat/puppy clippers and they don't mind me playing with thier feet, its more i have no idea how much to cut and they aren't as patient as my older dogs! they lay there for hours and let me cut, but they have white nails. plus thier nails are off the ground, so maybe im already cutting them short enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Play with your puppies feet often to get them used to you touch and turning them over.

You can often do them when they are asleep.

Cut on the green line, you can see the quick above it.

post-12373-0-58880000-1322354936_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this one! I already cut my little fellow's nails, but this is a huge help!

:thumbsup:

If your dog has hairy feet and you worry about getting the hair caught, push the nails through an old pair of stockings, it will hold the hair back from the nail for you.

If you cut the quick you can use a variety of things to stop the bleeding Styptic Pencil, Condy's crystals, dry bar of soap, flour or corn starch.