Puppy Moves Slightly Crooked

NOCTRL

Hi All,

I have a 17 week old SBT pup who since we purchased him walks / runs crooked. We didn't notice at first as he was still in the bouncy puppy crazy stage but it's something i've wondered about for a little while now.

It's not SUPER crooked or anything, but if you can picture him being a slight banana shape pushing out to the left side slightly causing his rear paws to not track evenly with his front. (Sorry if i'm not using the correct words, in horsey terms though i'd say he was moving on three tracks instead of two!)

At his 10 week vaccination i asked the vet about it and she said not to worry about it he'd grow out of it. But i'm not sure! He is 17 weeks now and still the same.

He doesn't seem stiff or sore, doesn't have trouble getting up. He goes for a short walk most days (we started at 5mins when he was about 12 weeks working up to about 20mins now).

Has anyone come across it before? Is it really something a puppy grows out of or is it something i should insist on further investigation either by another vet or animal chiro / body worker? And if so, can someone recommend one of the above in the Darwin NT area?

Cheers

:)

It is usually structural. Over long second thigh - over angulated rear assembly means the hind feet overeach the front feet on the move so the dog has to move like a crab so as not to tangle in its own feet. A fault in the show ring but not ususally a health problem for the dog.

It is usually structural. Over long second thigh - over angulated rear assembly means the hind feet overeach the front feet on the move so the dog has to move like a crab so as not to tangle in its own feet.

Which also happens if the dog is short in body and longer in leg or if the dog is straight in stifle and stands under it's self.

Thanks for the info everyone, it is much easier to research when i know what it's called! :laugh: Funnily "puppy moves like a banana" doesn't yield much usefull info!

If i can find a chiro in Darwin i will definately get him looked at. I know with the ponies uneven movement that's not dealt with can cause all sorts of related problems down the track so it has me a little concerned.

He is certainly not a show animal just a well loved pet but i don't want him to have problems down the track that could have been avoided :)

Thanks for the info everyone, it is much easier to research when i know what it's called! :laugh: Funnily "puppy moves like a banana" doesn't yield much usefull info!

Hilarious! lol

My pup is like this a bit too though it seems much better now than it was - he's 17 weeks. I will keep an eye on him and look for a chiro too. Thanks for bringing it up!

Thanks Raffikki, i didn't think of the greyhound club. I have sent them an email so hoepfully they will be able to recommend someone :)

Persephone - I wish it was but he is definately a banana (though i do love the way you described the crazy excited wiggly waggy walk!)