Breed Suggestions

salamancat

Hi my family and I are looking at adding a dog to our family in the not-too-distant future but we're stumped on what breed! I've been lurking for a while and have seen that people often ask for breed suggestions so thought I'd do the same.

My family is me, my husband and our daughter, Miss Seven. We have a six year old rescue Moggie who has been around dogs and is fine with them.

We lost our eleven year old yellow labrador three years ago.

We want a medium-large sized dog, probably something slightly more unusual that you don't see every day.

I am fine with long fur and am happy to groom.

I am home all the time and have plenty of time for training. Dog will go for a walk every day and I want to do obedience with it (I did obedience for fun with my lab until he became too arthritic.)

I think that's all, if you need to know anything else I'm happy to say.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beardies - I'm far from expert, not sure how many beardie folks we have on here though. I adore them. Happy go lucky dogs. Lovely with families.

With the barking, as far as I know wouldn't be significantly different to many herding breeds, could also be an individual thing.

I am after something that loves people and is happy to go for a run or relax on the couch (eg, if it's raining won't go stir crazy). I worry a little about dogs that are too bouncy (that's the reason I won't have another lab cos they're crazy puppies), my daughter is good with dogs, but she's still young.

Edited by salamancat

Beardies - I'm far from expert, not sure how many beardie folks we have on here though. I adore them. Happy go lucky dogs. Lovely with families.

With the barking, as far as I know wouldn't be significantly different to many herding breeds, could also be an individual thing.

Both of mine have been VERY barky. Our bitch in particular will bark at absolutely everything. They are very lovely though.

A bernese Mountain dog?

or a deerhound?

I think Aussie shepherd is also a good suggestion :)

what sort of temperament appeals to you?

Do you still want the lab-type temperament? Maybe you could look at some of the other gundogs if you do?

I'm not sure I like the look of curly fur, I prefer straight. Bearded collies look good, does anyone know what their temperament is like?

We have owned and bred bearded collies in the past. They are easily my mum's favourite of all time, she had to give showing them up as she could not keep up with the coat or maintain there physical training, but every time she sees one i can see her eyes well up! But beardies are beautifully outgoing, bouncy, not aggressive, good with a 7 year old. All of this providing that they are trained with strict guidelines, and heaps and heaps of exercise. Some are more stubborn than others, but if you keep up with thier training and exercise they are great!!!! The grooming is pretty intense, bath once a month, brushing every day, but a layer brush once a week. But just because they have that beautiful coat doesn't mean they have to live in a bubble!