Desexing

wantsapuppy

Every vet has different prices ... I suggest you contact the vet you will be using.

IF you can keep your dogs from mating/being mated (and it ain't all that easy).. castrating/speying is best left as long as possible, ie: when dogs are mature - so that growth can proceed normally, to make good bones :)

6 months and over is generally what any Vet will recommend. I got both my dogs done at pretty much 6 months on the dot, and both have developed fine so it's a personal choice really. Females are generally more expensive than males, and weight also factors into price. I think i payed around $250 for a male dog under 20kg, but that also included microchipping.

Vets will normally say around 6 months, but your breeder may want you to wait longer, I would speak to them and see what they recommend, I would probably wait till about a year old, but that's just me and it does depend on the breed.

Prices can range greatly, where I used to work though a female dog would set you back about $250-300 depending on size, males were about $150-250. I have seen much dearer, and a bit cheaper though so it does vary a lot. Also, depending on whether or not you have bloods taken and fluids administered the cost can go up.

I got told by my breeder that I was not allowed to get the puppy desexed prior to 8 months, and preferably no earlier than 12, I am getting a golden retriever and I am so thankful she said that because I want him to have the best chance for his bones before "having" to get him desexed. I want him desexed, but not until is optimum time for his body, and I had originally thought 6 months was the most she would give me! Hehehe

Buy the female first. When she comes into season she'll need a secure run or be prepared to crate and only allow out when supervised. Desex her at 12 plus months and then get your male. That way there won't be any accidents from dogs in your yard and you'll just need to keep an eye on her, so others don;t come over the fence.

you haven't even got close to getting a pup yet, what if it's like the last time and before you commit to a pup you're pregnant again and there goes the whole getting a puppy idea. Maybe all your questions could wait until you are actually getting a puppy. We went through 20 questions last time.

Guest donatella

I think this sort of question is subjective as well, I got my girl done at 6 months with the advice of my vet and I didnt want to deal with a season. Many people think that's too young so I guess its up to the owners choice based upon the information they have been given by their vet

you haven't even got close to getting a pup yet, what if it's like the last time and before you commit to a pup you're pregnant again and there goes the whole getting a puppy idea. Maybe all your questions could wait until you are actually getting a puppy. We went through 20 questions last time.

Good idea. Or better yet, contain all questions to one thread? It's getting very hard to keep up with all your threads, wantsapuppy!!

Wantsapuppy .. by all means ask questions - but maybe just make one thread - that way we can all find it, and you can more easily bookmark/copy it to keep for later reference :)

As said - the search function is terrific , and you will be kept busy reading discussions for a long time !