Science Diet

CAL

I was out today picking up a few odds and ends and was tried to sell Science Diet as the only thing I have to feed because it is so nutritionally perfect. Is this true? I have the breeders diet and will be sticking to that, but is science diet all it is claimed to be?

I made an Excel spreadsheet to compare the "Super-premium" brand dog foods, and their nutritional value...

And had the spreadsheet work out (for me) how close to the Recommended Daily Intake (for racing greyhounds) for each vitamin & mineral each was.

I'll say that according to my "research", from the information I have, Hills Science Diet is not the most nutritionally balanced feed available (for my purposes);

However, for the two other Super-premium brands I have complete data (Eagle Pack and Eukanuba).

AFAIK only one of the Super Premium brands does not get their meat protein source from Offal.

Whilst this is of great importance to me, for general dogs (not extreme performance dogs), any of the Super Premium brands would be "much of a muchness" I would guess.

Edited by Kez

Didn't you say that science diet contained soy products???

(Soy should not be fed because dogs can't digest it, a lot of the crappy brands are wheat and soy based)

According to the data I have here,

Science Diet and Purina dog foods contain Soy.

Iams, Pedigree, PRISM, Hy-Ration, Nature's Recipe, Nutro Premium, ProPlan, Sensible Choice, Eagle Pack and Eukanuba do NOT contain Soy.

Purina, Pedigree & Science Diet do not contain 2-3 proteins - the others do. Only Eagle Pack and Eukanuba contain 3 MEAT proteins.

This is only the data I have here;

Is it possible that there are two different types of "Science Diet"?

Or is Science Diet and Hill's Science Diet one and the same?

My puppy came with instructions that he was fed on Hills science Diet puppy, so off I went and bought the 18 kilo bag which cost me $138.50 through our local vet (only place to get it) next day I had to go and buy a bag of euk as the little turd would not eat it, neither would the big dogs. I took it to the local pound and they did not want to eat it either. The pound keeper had to mix meat and other biscuit with it. One thing though it lasted a long time. I now feed euk or optimum.

That sounds strange isaviz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hills sponser our local RSPCA and provide food. I have never seen one dog or cat refuse to eat it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NEVER

I have done the Hills Science courses and am a qualified nutrititional advisor of their products.

There is Hills and then Hills 'prescription' diets.

Hills ie: puppy food , low cal food etc: Then 'prescription' which is specially formulated for various diseases.

We use the prescription products regulary for our patients at the clinic.

Waltham is another good brand (think it's now called Royal Canin)

You sure can exclusivley feed Hills with all nutrients covered.

It's not the only premium brand that is good, it comes down to personal choice.

Kez - I just a glance at my course workbooks, there is no soy in their products.

Pound animals would not refuse to eat much!

But as soon as they are in a new home they often wont touch Hills

Dont know if psychological or not :eek:

But given a choice they often turn their noses up.

Waltham is not Royal Canin?

And I dont think you can call yourself a nutritionist after doing Hills feeble....`use Hills only nutritionist course` :D

Very misleading that one!

There is no perfect dry.....depends on the INDIVIDUAL dog and owners lifesty;e

I choose BARF and Advance Turkey and Rice as Ive seen the results and have worked in the pet food industry for 9 years and have a totally unbiased opinion because Im not really into being bought off to sell a product that doesnt show results but I can get kick backs on...thats not my idea of an infomed open minded `nutritionist`

Starving pound dogs once liberated and given a choice cant be wrong :whisper:

Hills I believe to be very over rated and highly recommended because of the kickbacks recieved...can be useful for specific probs like oral care and cat h/ball

Edited by RnB

RnB - What the????????????????? :whisper:

I did not state I am a "qualified nutritionist"?????????????????

I am qualified to give advise on the Hills products and Hills products only, I do not think that makes me an "animal nutritionist" I don't know how I could of come accross that way???????????

Again :eek:

I regulary sell Hills products at the clinic, but I never have got kick backs???

I don't understand the comment you made, In fact I am offended that you implied

that i'v been "bought off" to recieve kickbacks and that I am passing myself off as a "nutritionalist"

I am " informed" and" open minded" Re read my post, I stated Hills is not the only good premium brand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I apologise, I got mixed up about Waltham, They were an Aus company but recently have been bought out by an oversees company, that was the change I was trying to think of.

Oh sorry forgot to add the ...nothing personal disclaimer :whisper:

Pisses me off lately how many people advertise themselves as nutritionists because they have completed the Hills ....feed nothing but Hills Nutritionist Course?

Havent they told you yet if you are a distributor and collect 4 bar codes you receive a bag to the value free?

Some Pet Food Trivia

Off Topic but interesting.

Walthams and Royal Canin joined forces in January 2004.

The Veterinary Diets are now marketed as Royal Canin Walthams.

Nestle own Purina, Purina now own Bonnie.

Iams is owned by Proctor and Gamble

Mars owns ADVANCE

DINE

GOLDEN COB

GOOD-O

MY DOG

PEDIGREE

PEDIGREE SCHMACKOS

TRILL WHISKAS

Greens own Supercoat.

Hills Science Diet is owned by Colgate

There are very few independant Pet food companies left in the BIG market.

Nutrience is owned by Hagen

I think Eagle Pack may still be in its original ownership.

If you have to time to read on the subject the world of Pet Food manufacturers is pretty small. But it is worth BIG dollars.

Interesting how when a big company buys out a smaller one they fiddle with the formulas and change the products.

Iams is owned by Proctor and Gamble

And Iams is Eukanuba :whisper:

I also think you're right, AFAIK Eagle Pack is still in original ownership, and still uses human grade meats for it's meat protein sources.

Edited for spelling & grammar.

Edited by Kez

Chuckie how much is the Eagle brand dog food? I buy the ZD diet from the vets for my allergic boxer as he cannot have lamb or chicken and its extremely expensive. I use it to supplement rice and canned fish that I give him but I would like to find a more economical alternative to the ZD. Thanks.

RnB - I don't advertise myself as a nutritionalist and not everyone who has completed Hills courses does.

I simply replyed to this topic because the original post was about Hills, something I know about.

Where I work we don't collect barcodes we don't get anything for free, No "kick backs" for us.

Doing the Hills course was a part of Vet Nurse training, to know about the products and advise clients appropriately, Not to claim instant "nutritionalist status" or get something in return.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to hear l1,

Just that Ive found on numerous resumes and advertisements when people say they are a trained `nutritionist`, it only means they have completed the `Hills` folder? Bit disappointing as its very biased being there products only...glad to see your not advertising as such :whisper:

Im surprised you dont get the free 4 for one deal....as is offered to shops and Vets?

Have noticed prescibed diets becoming more popular now...

Good to hear you know about their products....weve found the feedback not to be so good re the product. But everyone is different and because so many vets and associates recommend it .... it seems to do very well for the company.

No need to have a twist....Ive dont the course too, wanted to post because I feel I know about the product too....from the not so complex course and feedback.

I feed supercoat, just wondering if any of you have any idea whether it contains soy? And how it stacked up against the others in Kez's spreadsheet?

I guess i could just go and look at the packet ingredients.. hahahaha. Oh well, i'm here at the computer. I'll ask this now and read the packet when i feed the darling. :whisper:

RnB - I'v found some people who say Hills costs to much and doesn't work,

because they do not feed it exclusivly as we advise (i'm talking about the prescription diets for specific diseases) people still give their dogs treats and other snacks which can muck up their diet.

I don't use Hills myself, never have, I think the prescription lines are good though.

Yeah the course is very hard ,hey? :whisper: