A Bit Confused About What To Do With Nelson

redial

OK, so here's the deal. I'm currently living with my mother but move out to a station in january for a job as a governess. I have my own 2 acre fully fenced yard complete with kennels and huge shelters. I'm taking 3 dogs, my jack russell, my lurcher and my kelpie. But here's the thing... I really want to take my BCX but he can be unpredictable with aggression. he's never broken skin but has nipped a few people that 'invaded his territory'. My mum is happy to keep him as i was a bit worried about him maybe snapping at the kids... even though my house and yard are on another area of the property. But I feel so bad, I love this dog and my mum tolerates him but hardly loves him, he is a bit of a pain. Not only that but he and the maremma HATE eachother, they hardly get into fights more growling but last time he had a nasty bite wound on his chest when they did fight. I'm thinking that maybe I should take him, but speak to my employer first... I feel so bad. The Jack russell is fine here, as i can onyl afford 3 dogs and he loves mum so he won't care where he is as long as he has food. I feel worried to leave Nelson here as mum works a lot and leaves them unsupervised and even though nothing big has happened the maremma is a huge dog and has proven that he can injure nelson. I'm so torn.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. The people that own the station have 10 dogs of their own and the current governess has 5 at her place. The fences are good...ugh I dunno. Maybe if I introduced him to the kids, as it's mainly territorial aggression.

Update. I think I need to have him PTS he just reached through the fence and bit our nextdoor neighbour badly... He did a similar thing to a young girl a few weeks back, but only a nip, this one was bad. I'm out of options I think. I can';t rehome him and I would never dump him at the pound and can't leave my mum with a dangerous dog.

Update. I think I need to have him PTS he just reached through the fence and bit our nextdoor neighbour badly... He did a similar thing to a young girl a few weeks back, but only a nip, this one was bad. I'm out of options I think. I can';t rehome him and I would never dump him at the pound and can't leave my mum with a dangerous dog.

I really feel for you... What a sad situation.

Some dogs are just 'broken' ... you have done your best, given him a chance ,now , when you were in a tug of war .. he has shown you the way . Better it happen now, than when you were miles & miles away , and unable to send him off with your love.

Thinking of you.

Try not to beat yourself up, you are doing the responsible thing. I once had to make the same decision about a dog I had; it's never easy and takes a long time to get over. I agree with Pers, sometimes no matter what you do, some dogs are just not meant to be around people. :hug: Hugs to you in this difficult time.

I think it hits extra hard as last year I had to put two other aggressive rescues down as well. One was a Cattle dog that was given to me as a last chance but he was so aggressive that after 2 years nothign changed and a Cance CorsoXneo that had been beaten black and blue and had all her teeth kicked out as a young dog by kids, she was fear fula nd I worked with her for 18months and she was great dog but never got over her fear of kids and I couldn't comfortably keep her knowing that if she escaped or a kid came too close it may be the end of them. I think I'm never rescuing aggressive dogs again, it hurts too much when it fails.

Quite a few! I took in an ex petshop GSD that everyone said was aggressive and out of control... She just had a high prey drive. i worked with her for a good year and rehomed her with a lovely lady in canberra with a cat free household. I wanted to keep her but I didn't need the stress of knowing my cats were constantly lving in fear of the dog watching them through the window. Plus she was super high energy and she does agility with the lady now.

That would be the probable outcome anyway if your neighbour reports it.

We've been long time friends with the neighbour and I told him there and then that the dog just had his last shot. he was very understanding and didn't make a fuss at all, we've been good friends for years.