Colour Mutant Alopecia In Dobermans

I am posting this question for a Canadian friend who has a male desexed 2 year old red rescue dobermann. According to her vet it is thyroid related but she thinks it is Colour Mutant Alopecia, hisback along the spine looks like I have been attacked by a moth. He is on omega 3, melatonin, thyroid pills and she is trying to get him to eat really good food, but he is a Beneful junkie, so she mixes the food trying to fool him but it is not working.

Does antyone have experience with this and suggestions on supplements to increase the coat and for over all good health. Zinc has been suggested but what would this help with?

I'd say she'd need to be more aggressive with her tactics for changing the food for the benefit of the dog. The dog will eventually eat when it realises that is all it is going to get.

if the vet thinks it is Thyroid related and has given pills, I'm assuming the dog has had it's thyroid tested to give a proper diagnosis?

The thyroid needs to be tested , my black dog went red down his back, sent bloods off to qld and results all normal... Full blood panels also normal i think ge just bleaches easily as in winter he is darker. He is also on a bunch of oils as he is an allergy dog

Guest english.ivy

What else is she feeding? I would just feed him the food he should be eating and the dog will learn to eat it if he's hungry.

Adding sardines would also make it taste even better and they'd be good for him.

Spoke to my friend. She has tried feeding him BARF but he gets dreadful diarrhoea, one third meat.rice.veg - same problem. They live fairly far north and are already under thick snow so she does not want to live with diarrhoea in the house. She would prefer to have him eat a good quality dried food with a little meat to top it off but he is not keen on it. He does get a salmon steak a week and a can of sardines.