Losing 3 Pups Via C-section

farout

I need some answers please to why we lost 3 big healthy pups. Im so upset & cant think straight..My bitch started contracting at around 11am, I had been taking her temp days before 3 times a day .When she started to push I took her temp again it was up to 40.2, I called the vet straight away & they said to come in .They could feel a pup & with her pushing the pup wasnt moving down so they decided on a cesarian. They gave her a pre-med & about 20-30 min later I was called in to help. All of the pups took ages to breath but all had heart beats. They only managed to get 4 to breath by them selfs & the other 3 after about an hour of rubbing, clear airways, giving oxygen ect died! Ive never lost a pup through a c-section before. To loose 3 is devastating. The 3 that died all weighed approx 500grm, they were the 3 biggest as the other 4 were only 350grm-400grm. Any information or simular thing thats happened you know about? Thanks

:hug: You must feel so awful right now so its not the time to even try to make sense of it all. Wait a week until you are less in shock & then think of the questions you would like to ask your vet & have a chat then.

No one on a forum could know what went wrong really. So many things can go wrong in breeding & sometimes there is no clear answer. Hopefully your remaining pups will thrive so try & focus on them. In a short time they will be running around & making you smile again.

Did they find any sign of infection? A temp of 40.5 is high, especially at whelping. My guess would be she was developing an infection and some of the puppies had already died by the time they opened her up. If the live puppies were all from the same horn that would be more evidence that the other one had an infection.

:hug: You must feel so awful right now so its not the time to even try to make sense of it all. Wait a week until you are less in shock & then think of the questions you would like to ask your vet & have a chat then.

No one on a forum could know what went wrong really. So many things can go wrong in breeding & sometimes there is no clear answer. Hopefully your remaining pups will thrive so try & focus on them. In a short time they will be running around & making you smile again.

Thanks Christina, Its been a week tomorrow since it happened :(

What Questions do I ask? I still cant think straight.

Did they find any sign of infection? A temp of 40.5 is high, especially at whelping. My guess would be she was developing an infection and some of the puppies had already died by the time they opened her up. If the live puppies were all from the same horn that would be more evidence that the other one had an infection.

No they never found any sign of infection ( temp was 37.5 at 6.30am then at 9.30am 38.4 then at 11.00am 40.2 .. All of the pups were alive when born & all had heart beats for nearly an hour but seemed very weak.

Just wanted to say how sorry I am Farout :cry:

Not long ago a beagle breeder in the US put up a photo of her litter that was not able to be revived after her bitch had a elective c-section. All good size and not premature :mad Obviously she was going to take this debarcle further.

In your case with some pups surviving and some not, combined with the temperature spike it's a bit complicated and may be hard to get the answer your looking for.

Im so sorry this has happened for you but the problem is you cant see inside them and puppies die soon after being born with or without C sections for all manner of reasons - without further info you probably will never know and anything you may think you come up with is a guess.

Just wanted to say how sorry I am Farout :cry:

Not long ago a beagle breeder in the US put up a photo of her litter that was not able to be revived after her bitch had a elective c-section. All good size and not premature :mad Obviously she was going to take this debarcle further.

In your case with some pups surviving and some not, combined with the temperature spike it's a bit complicated and may be hard to get the answer your looking for.

The bitches weight wasnt taken before the c-section & the vet had no record of her weight either.

I am so sorry that you lost 3 apparently healthy looking puppies but it does happen, A member of this board quite a while ago lost a large litter of puppies and mum also past away either during or after a C section, you are lucky that you still have 4 healthy babies and a mum to look after. :grouphug:

Two years ago I also lost 4 puppies from a litter of eight. I had also been checking my girls temperature even though she still had 7 days to go before I expected her to whelp, her temp was fine through the day but she refused water and food, when I checked her temp at 6 pm and it was 40.5 I rushed into my vet who checked her and did an ultrasound and puppies all looked fine, she was given an antibiotic injection and sent home. Later that night I knew she would whelp soon. Her first puppy had trouble breathing but finally got her going but she later passed, 2nd was still born, 3rd still born, I rung my vet in a desperate state of mind and in tears. I did have oxytocin here and her said to use it as we needed those puppies out ASAP. Next puppy was fine, next was dead and he had defecated in the sac, the sac was hard and green and this is what had caused my girl to have a high temperature and to whelp 1 week early, remaining puppies were all fine thank Dog.

Had she not whelped when she did I am sure that I would have lost her and all of her babies.

Enjoy your babies, you will probably never know just what caused the other 3 to perish and it will probably never happen again.

I understand your need for answers, but sometimes there just aren't any. Cherish the pups and thank doG you still have your bitch. It's one of the hard things about breeding, sometimes puppies die. I would definitely make a point of speaking to the vet who did the section, but not in an accusing way (unless you have reason to believe something was done wrong). Most good vets will feel much the same way you do - they don't like losing patients anymore than we like it when it happens :(

Many moons ago I lost the whole litter of 8 after a c-section and I do know exactly what caused it, but it doesn't help the anger I feel at the loss of those pups or the grief their mum went through.

Did you use a vet who knows what they are doing?

I once lost three pups from a litter of 10 in C section done by a novice vet. Talking to other vets, I think it happened due to 1) application of a strong painkiller before the pups were taken out, which depressed their respiratory function; and 2) poor tying of cords . . . they all bled through their navels.

Congratulations on your new litter.

So very sorry for the loss of your puppies.

Best bit of advice I was given is to be thankful for the ones who have survived - especially MUM.

and

Don't dwell on the ones you lost - put all your efforts in to those who have survived.

Pretty sure most of us have typed through tears when things have gone wrong - I know I have. 3 out of the 4 litters I have had were via em c sections, one litter was 6 days premature. It hurts like hell, but sometimes there are no answers as to why - it just happens...

Would love to see some photos of your new Mum and babies :D