Komondor Breeders

blonde

Yep, what Showdog said. :) Poodles can be shown corded. Corded poodles... drool... :D

And sticks and burrs, they should be done regularly, daily if needed. Their stickyness very much depends on coat texture. As an example from my own experience - an Afghan will gather most sticks and seeds, whereas a Borzoi will rarely have one stick with them. Both long coated, both getting into similar sorts of spots - running about, looking for bunnies etc.

So a softer coat is more grippy (if that makes sense!). I think the wooly coats are more sticky again, and the harsher coats even less so. I wouldn't think a Kom coat would collect too much if correctly corded, as the fibres are all entwined in the cords and not free to wrap around debris.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Aussie runs through grass seeds every day, she rarely collects any at all! Her coat is soft, with a slightly harsher outer layer and soft but not huge undercoat.

My Aussie and my friends Aussie is the same but the Aussie I had visit for a while picked up Everything! You name it it would stick, every night was an ordeal brushing out the prickles he'd collected that day, he had a soft fluffy coat that felt gorgeous but very hard to maintain.

My entire Aussies have a different coat texture to the neuters....it's silkier and smoother and debris drops out of it. The neuters are more "cottony" and fluffier and they pick up burrs and twigs that I have to comb out. They also have more coat than the entires as they don't do a seasonal coat drop. I prefer the coats of the entire dogs, it's easier to maintain and it's more "moderate".

I like the look of the Puli, love watching them at shows, there are some sensational little ones in Vic that just storm around the ring and show off to everyone. I think the coat would be the most work while the cords are forming, they don't seem to have the matted appearance of the Komondor though, neither does the poodle.

That's it Gayle - the cottony-ness is what gets the seeds! Plus the fine soft hair. When we had a Saluki he used to pick up more seeds in the tufts between his toes that all of our Borzoi did - combined. And yes, I agree desexed coats are harder to maintain, texture and quantity-wise.

But you didn't really thin these guys had a matted appearance when in proper cords did you? :confused:

The red Merle is entire though? My boy isn't but was only desexed just before I got him and my friends is entire and we have the easy care. Are yours all from similar lines? I'd be interested to know how much it varies even in the same litter and how much it really is related to entire or neutered status :)

Mine was neutered at 11 months but her coat didn't go fluffy. Guess I was just lucky. The only spot she collects things is on the back of her hocks where the fur is actually "fuzzy".

We were very close to getting a puli, the coat care itself didn't bother me but drying would have been a problem :( I worried about it raining when we were at work, coming home to a dog that'd been wet all day, then having to put the dryer on it for an hour :(

That's it Gayle - the cottony-ness is what gets the seeds! Plus the fine soft hair. When we had a Saluki he used to pick up more seeds in the tufts between his toes that all of our Borzoi did - combined. And yes, I agree desexed coats are harder to maintain, texture and quantity-wise.

But you didn't really thin these guys had a matted appearance when in proper cords did you? :confused:

Not as much as the ones in the snow but they still look more matted or more ragged than a Puli, especially a Puli in show coat.

The red Merle is entire though? My boy isn't but was only desexed just before I got him and my friends is entire and we have the easy care. Are yours all from similar lines? I'd be interested to know how much it varies even in the same litter and how much it really is related to entire or neutered status :)

Mine are all from different lines. My old boy Benson was from different lines again and he was neutered very young and developed a horrid coat. Thick woolly undercoat and a harsh wiry outer coat that picked up everything. I would never get an Aussie neutered that young again, I'd at least allow the adult coat to develop but that's what his breeder wanted.

We have grass seeds through our backyard and we check the Aussies every night during grass seed season. Their body and especially their feet get a thorough going over. We don't seem to have issues with them in the body - they just don't seem to get through, but feet they do get to the skin and can cause issues if we don't check. All our dogs, smooth coat muttly, terriers and Aussies get a daily check.

What did you do to their tails? I can't imagine Fauves needing scissoring anywhere unless they grow fluffy bits behind their ears. (Do they?)

Scissored the extra fur at the tip of the tail - removes about 2cm from the end of the tail which improves their general outline as their tail is held up.

Sounds similar to what we do with the Irish, although we don't take 2cm off, just neaten the curly twirly that occurs. :laugh:

Edited by Lyndsay

It might be less than 2cm - its the long bits above the bone. When you see a Fauve who hasn't it done for a while like Marie its very obvious what I'm talking about :laugh: .

The reality is that for Fauves to be competitive in the ring we need BOTH an excellent example AND experienced handlers & groomers. Now that we have that with Hagen and his co-owners we're seeing the breed do a lot of winning and I need to up my game to be competitive. :laugh:

When you see a Kom like this

you know it has not lived like a traditional kom.

One of the reasons the Kom did not last in Australia

and why I did not pursue a breeding with one of the last viable koms

is because the kom's coat is absolutely impractical for the Australian environment.

The Koms who showed up to the Royal were actually real Koms.

At least you knew they spent their days in a paddock, being a kom.

The show kom cannot go outside.

When you see a Kom like this

you know it has not lived like a traditional kom.

One of the reasons the Kom did not last in Australia

and why I did not pursue a breeding with one of the last viable koms

is because the kom's coat is absolutely impractical for the Australian environment.

The Koms who showed up to the Royal were actually real Koms.

At least you knew they spent their days in a paddock, being a kom.

The show kom cannot go outside.

:clap:

Espinay they didn't resemble any time of cords, those links looked much better they literally were just adhoc chunks

Can I also say I love your dogs, I was very interested in a PMD but my OH is set on CAO's for life

Thanks :D . We love them too ;) :heart: We like other breeds, but it is 'the breed' for us :crazy:

Someone was talking about grass seeds? Here grass seeds can be a problem for any dog and I have seen Labradors and other short coated dogs with acesses in their paws as a result of grass seeds. I find it can vary from coat to coat though, in my breed at least. Better 'working coats' have less issues with grass seeds and things in general getting stuck in them. Those with less of a harsher outer coat and a more wooly and softer (pouffy) coat in general tend to have more of a problem in my experience. To bring the discussion back to the Komondor - their coat has quite a wooly texture and things do from what I understand and have seen tend to stick and bury in reasonably easily. Seeds tend to 'migrate' and work their way in, so if they get down towards the skin it can be very hard to get them out in a corded coat.