New Laws For Logan City

DAVERI

Logan city council have put up the new laws regarding keeping animals.

these cover just about everything from dogs, cats and horses to even guinea pigs.

some of the changes regarding dogs include:

now being aloud to keep dogs on properties smaller than 499 squares

+up to 3 dogs on properties 2,000 to 80,000 squares without approval

and up to 4 dogs on properties over 80,000 without approval and upto 9 dogs with approval

My link

Other changers include ALL CATS MUST NOW BE DESEXED!

On Wednesday evening 7th December almost 200 Logan City Council resident members

attended a very informative evening at our Durack function room. Hosted by Government

Liaison Officer, Mark Sheppard, presentations were made which outlined the innovative new

Laws which will benefit our Dogs Queensland members from 9th December 2011.

From that date, members may apply for a Breeder Approval to keep up to 9 entire dogs

irrespective of property size and to breed and sell progeny. There is no requirement for a

planning application (at a usual cost of $2,500 non refundable) or neighbour approval

beforehand. The approval application fee will cost just $200 (which represents recoverable

Logan Council costs) plus a $25 per year renewal to keep the approval current. And those

members interested in other disciplines have not been left out either. A “special purpose”

approval can be sought which will allow a member to keep up to 9 obedience, agility, trialling

or show dogs – a separate application form is needed and will be processed differently from

the breeder approval scheme.

Also, significant dog registration discounts have been extended to our members. Just $25 per

dog, down from $50 previously – another great win for our members and a reflection of the

confidence which Logan City Council have in our organisation and our responsible members.

Dogs Queensland members who currently hold a formal kennel license have not been

forgotten either. In addition to their licenses being protected as a saleable asset attached to

their property, dog registration fees for those members have been reduced to just $15 per

dog. Whilst it has taken almost 4 years to reach this outcome, we are confident that

members will see the very real benefits which can accrue from a close working relationship

with Government. Any member wanting more information about the Logan City Council

Approval Scheme can find the necessary documents on our website home page.

Hang on: if you live on less than 499sm, you can't have a dog? Have I read that right?

I live on less than that and have 2 dogs. The trick is I don't just leave them locked in the yard all day (even if I had 1000sm, they'd hate that). They go for 2 walks a day, agility up to 3 times a week, obedience, lots of outings etc. I'm not a perfect owner, but they are happy an d live a better life than the majority of suburban dogs.. Apparently I shouldn't own dogs :rofl:

One of the benefits of having a small yard is that you HAVE to get your dogs out and about. Some people with big yards seem to use it as an excuse not to exercise their dog and this policy seems to be reflecting that.

I live in Sydney - my whole block is 490sm - but my house is tiny, so the yard is a decent size. Most people comment on how big my yard is... *grin*

I have 3 of my own dogs, and foster puppies - currently have 7 of the little poo machines cavorting in the yard... *grin*

T.

Hang on: if you live on less than 499sm, you can't have a dog? Have I read that right?

I live on less than that and have 2 dogs. The trick is I don't just leave them locked in the yard all day (even if I had 1000sm, they'd hate that). They go for 2 walks a day, agility up to 3 times a week, obedience, lots of outings etc. I'm not a perfect owner, but they are happy an d live a better life than the majority of suburban dogs.. Apparently I shouldn't own dogs :rofl:

One of the benefits of having a small yard is that you HAVE to get your dogs out and about. Some people with big yards seem to use it as an excuse not to exercise their dog and this policy seems to be reflecting that.

Here are the rules . . . download the 'dogs' .pdf for the full list. Sizes in sq. meters. There are further restrictions about enclosures, doorway access, etc. Sounds reasonable/generous to me . . . though I think 9 large show dogs or greyhounds on a 300 sq m property might be excessive!

Companion dogs

0 to 300 1 dog up to 10 kg per dwelling unit without Logan City Council approval in a mature aged living facility or retirement village

Domestic Dog(s)

0 to 300 1 dog with Logan City Council approval

301 to 499 1 dog without Logan City Council approval or 2 dogs with Logan City Council approval

500 to 599 2 dogs without Logan City Council approval

600 to 2,000 2 dogs without Logan City Council approval or up to 4 dogs with Logan City Council

approval

2,001 to 80,000 3 dogs without Logan City Council approval or 4 with Logan City Council approval

80,000+ 4 dogs without Logan City Council approval or up to 9 dogs with Logan City Council

approval (e.g. working dogs)

Foster carers (see more information over) All properties Up to 9 dogs for a determined length of time with Logan City Council approval

Recreation dogs (such as greyhounds, breeders, show dogs) All properties Up to 9 dogs with Logan City Council approval, subject to standards and membership of approved bodies

With the exception of needing council approval for one dog, sounds ok. All the houses I lived in whilst in Sydney were smaller than that - it's called taking your dog for walks... Yay about the desexed cats though. There are feral cats everywhere and I've only just started to realise it. When I lived in Woollahra they were all around the chicken shop, same in Bellevue Hill and Rose Bay. Now in SA I see them everywhere too - I have no idea how many there actually would be...

AS above Megan_ you have to have council approval now to own 1 dog if you live on property under 300sqm...

That is ridiculous, as far as I am concerned you should not have to ask permission to own 1 dog!

I have to agree, how ridiculous, just another bloody restriction :rolleyes: