Dogs Victoria Amenities Show - Vic

SwaY

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair it is only 27.8°C at 10am - Most of us would show in that heat, it's not 40 now and they are showing in that.

Well, I dropped in to get some more water buckets and just for interests sake took my partners digital temp checker - I was there at 10.15 this morning.

Temp in shade was 48 deg - temp in the ring was 51.5 deg (and that was the grass not the black / tan heavy coated breed that was in the ring at the time) - so average would be 49 deg I guess. Give a 3 deg variance for error in the machine and you still have 46 deg in the ring on the grass.

When people are walking around with sweat literally dripping off them dragging dogs who are dragging / tripping over their own feet I would think that serious heat exhaustion is very close to setting in and the damamge this does to a dogs system can be unrepairable.

I have nothing else to say :(.

Well I do not doubt that the thermometer is calibrated frequently but no way was it that hot I would have been dying. When I got in my car at 11am it was 35 degrees got hotter as I drove towards the city.

We are 10 mins from KCC - at 3.35pm current temp is 39 in shade, 51.5 on grass and 62 on paving.

Think whatever makes you feel better :)

It makes sense. Think about what temperatures are reached at centre court when the tennis is on. 50+ at times, whereas the air temp is aroung 32.

We are 10 mins from KCC - at 3.35pm current temp is 39 in shade, 51.5 on grass and 62 on paving.

Perhaps you should contact the Bureau of Meteorology and let them know, obviously you are far better informed than they are.

Are you using a laser sighted thermometer like a gun?

If I use ours I get temps like yours as they measure the surface temp not the air temp.

If I use ours I get temps like yours as they measure the surface temp not the air temp.

Yes, it is - the forcast temperature or recorded temp is air temp and in the shade. But think about it - a dog in the ring does not have an 'air temp' it has a surface temp. And this is what the RSPCA or Gov Dep will be checking when they get it into their heads to do spot checks on dog shows over summer - and they will.

As 10:15 am temps these numbers don't seem plausible - wasn't the Black Saturday max 46 C ?

CC

Black Sat was 48 at KCC park (from my car therm which I wouldn't take as totally accurate) at 9am when I finished running dogs. By midday here it was 68 deg in the shade - you literally could not move if you went outside.

Yes, it is - the forcast temperature or recorded temp is air temp and in the shade. But think about it - a dog in the ring does not have an 'air temp' it has a surface temp. And this is what the RSPCA or Gov Dep will be checking when they get it into their heads to do spot checks on dog shows over summer - and they will.

Bureau of Meteorology do not use that type to measure temps as is often inaccurate and measure surface and not air temp - I spoke to them in regards to an online weather station. He said they always go off air temp not surface temp.

I'm less then 2km from the Park and if it was that hot I would be dead, I hate the heat!!

As 10:15 am temps these numbers don't seem plausible - wasn't the Black Saturday max 46 C ?

CC

Black Sat was 48 at KCC park (from my car therm which I wouldn't take as totally accurate) at 9am when I finished running dogs. By midday here it was 68 deg in the shade - you literally could not move if you went outside.

So if it was this hot on Black Saturdaywhy did you put your dogs in a car to take them to KCC PArk for a run. Surely it would have been too hot for this too??

Ok... Apart from all this .. My feeling is Show should have been called off.

Anyway the ones who had to be there !! Your dogs would have been much better off at home... there is another show next week if you havent noticed!!!! Your dogs have no choice...its your ego.

Now which one of you Heroes want to tell us who got best in show etc....!!!!!!!

Waiting...........with my dogs in front of the air con at 40

CC

So if it was this hot on Black Saturdaywhy did you put your dogs in a car to take them to KCC PArk for a run. Surely it would have been too hot for this too??

We were there at 6.30am and leaving by 9 - it wasn't hot when we left home or got there - dogs were in trailer and I run my dogs every morning though since then its been at 5am due to work :).

Ok... Apart from all this .. My feeling is Show should have been called off.

Anyway the ones who had to be there !! Your dogs would have been much better off at home... there is another show next week if you havent noticed!!!! Your dogs have no choice...its your ego.

Now which one of you Heroes want to tell us who got best in show etc....!!!!!!!

Waiting...........with my dogs in front of the air con at 40

Well are't they lucky mine only have a fan and a ineffective evap. And most of them are not in front of it. :laugh: