Dogs Victoria Amenities Show - Vic

SwaY

To be fair, many breeds/groups will be done before the heat of the day, Yes some people will have to travel, others like myself live within 5min of the park.

Some dogs like people like the heat, others do not, Some dogs will travel in the car in aircon, some may not.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that the ruling was that if the temp was meant to be 38* for the show the night before the show it was to be cancelled :confused:

The rule was changed, it's up to each club to set it's rules -it must be mentioned in the gazette as far as i am aware.

I thought that the ruling was that if the temp was meant to be 38* for the show the night before the show it was to be cancelled :confused:

The rule was changed, it's up to each club to set it's rules -it must be mentioned in the gazette as far as i am aware.

Yeah i went to the members area cause in the gazette i had it was from October and i couldnt find the heat policy

I hope no dogs or humans suffer from the heat tomorrow :)

Ultimately people need to make decisions based on what is best for them.

Tomorrow there will be people at the beaches with very young children, some running around with very little on. Tomorrow night there will be babies and toddlers in the emergency rooms at hospitals because their parents are idiots.

Just as yesterday there were many drunk, dehydrated young people at "Pyramid Rock" Phillip Island (my daughter went and mum kept texting "are you drinking plenty of water?") being treated by paramedics because alcohol and extreme heat is not a good combination.

Well, all things considered - I will be there this morning, my dear dog is the first on in his group at 9am, ( old time 8am) we travel less than 10 mins he travels in the seat next to me with aircon on. But, if he was lucky enough to win BoB they would have be judging mighty fast for me to stay any later than about 11. - 12 noon. Otherwise I will be picking up my things and heading home. So according to these posting you must all think I am just about the worse person in the world!

Agree with you, EF!

Show officials, judges and stewards have to go - exhibitors do not!

Serious consideration should be given to scheduling these events AFTER the heat of the day.

We need reliable lighting at both venues, and on the front area of KCC Park - not the back

area, which becomes too crowded, even with only 5 rings. The lighting is not good enough

there either, when the gazebos etc are surrounding the area.

I enjoy evening functions - was at an evening show at Durack a fortnight ago.

The diehard people will never give up shows, regardless of the weather, so tweek the scheduling

instead!!!

Well, all things considered - I will be there this morning, my dear dog is the first on in his group at 9am, ( old time 8am) we travel less than 10 mins he travels in the seat next to me with aircon on. But, if he was lucky enough to win BoB they would have be judging mighty fast for me to stay any later than about 11. - 12 noon. Otherwise I will be picking up my things and heading home. So according to these posting you must all think I am just about the worse person in the world!

Not necessarily, if you win BOB or the challenge you could always come back for your certificate since you're 10 minutes away, and bring the dog back for Groups as well if needed.

Some of the workers - stewards, ticket writers - are senior members of of our dogworld. They can always decline to attend in the heat but most feel loyalty to the dogworld and would not want to let the secretary down. The poor judges are contracted to work so don't have much choice. Some of them are getting on in years too. I hope the panel today is a young fit one!

The temperature for the weather is taken in the shade. In the shade you get the ambient temperature of the air. The temperature in the sun - shining on the poor judge and steward - OR YOUR DOG - is much higher - up to 10 degrees higher in the sun!

Agree with you, EF!

Show officials, judges and stewards have to go - exhibitors do not!

Serious consideration should be given to scheduling these events AFTER the heat of the day.

We need reliable lighting at both venues, and on the front area of KCC Park - not the back

area, which becomes too crowded, even with only 5 rings. The lighting is not good enough

there either, when the gazebos etc are surrounding the area.

I enjoy evening functions - was at an evening show at Durack a fortnight ago.

The diehard people will never give up shows, regardless of the weather, so tweek the scheduling

instead!!!

I too have been at evening shows at Durack ... very pleasant indeed ...

If this show had to go ahead I can't believe the start time wasn't amended .. as you say ..the "diehards"

would have been there at whatever time it was changed to.

It was always predicted to be 38c + so action should have been taken on Friday.

I know where I'll be tomorrow and it won't be at the show, I think relaxing in the air-conditioning with all of the dogs sounds a much better idea!!!

I can't believe people would even consider showing their dogs in 40 degree heat. Enjoy the air conditioning Ophnbark!

I absolutely love evening shows but the area we currently use is not big enough to allow the exhibitors enough space. My secondhand report is that only one side of a ring was made available for group 5 exhibitors over these 3 shows, that is definately not enough room for 120 dogs and their entourage.

I found the heat policy, unfortunately it gives "suggestions" on what you can write on your schedule and its up the the individual clubs to make the decision. Unfortunately also, we dont have a crystal ball that was going to say 40c and red coded fire warnings. DogsVic needs a set in concrete- SHOWS WILL NOT RUN at x amount of degrees or severe flooding as everyones interpretation of extreme is different.

I found the heat policy, unfortunately it gives "suggestions" on what you can write on your schedule and its up the the individual clubs to make the decision. Unfortunately also, we dont have a crystal ball that was going to say 40c and red coded fire warnings. DogsVic needs a set in concrete- SHOWS WILL NOT RUN at x amount of degrees or severe flooding as everyones interpretation of extreme is different.

I agree, suggestions is not enough - there needs to be hard and fast set temperature rule.

We made to decision to stay home. It won't be pleasant at home but should be better for the dogs than showing in the oven that is the KCC pavillion.

No win is worth putting your dogs through the extreme heat. A BOB/BIG/BIS today is NOT worth the same as at a normal show. I think many people are taking advantage of what will be large absences.

Just remember that Troy will be aware of absentees with the pointscore...

"Where we are notified that more than 40% of dogs have been marked absent from the total entry of a show (for whatever reason), the points for wins will be allocated on a sliding percentage of the points an exhibitor would normally receive as per the table below. Where possible, if we have to make adjustments to a show, the calculation for Group points will be based on the absentee level of each respective group.

◦More than 40% of dogs absent - 60% of normal points will be awarded

◦More than 60% of dogs absent - 40% of normal points will be awarded

◦More than 80% of dogs absent - 20% of normal points will be awarded"

We made to decision to stay home. It won't be pleasant at home but should be better for the dogs than showing in the oven that is the KCC pavillion.

No win is worth putting your dogs through the extreme heat. A BOB/BIG/BIS today is NOT worth the same as at a normal show. I think many people are taking advantage of what will be large absences.

Just remember that Troy will be aware of absentees with the pointscore...

"Where we are notified that more than 40% of dogs have been marked absent from the total entry of a show (for whatever reason), the points for wins will be allocated on a sliding percentage of the points an exhibitor would normally receive as per the table below. Where possible, if we have to make adjustments to a show, the calculation for Group points will be based on the absentee level of each respective group.

◦More than 40% of dogs absent - 60% of normal points will be awarded

◦More than 60% of dogs absent - 40% of normal points will be awarded

◦More than 80% of dogs absent - 20% of normal points will be awarded"

just to set the record straight :) the new rules are;

•Where we are notified that more than 50% of dogs have been marked absent from the total entry of a show (for whatever reason), the points for wins will be allocated on a sliding percentage of the points an exhibitor would normally receive as per the table below. Where possible, if we have to make adjustments to a show, the calculation for Group points will be based on the absentee level of each respective group.

◦More than 50% of dogs absent - 50% of normal points will be awarded

◦More than 75% of dogs absent - 25% of normal points will be awarded