Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

BCCrazy I am just so happy for you and Stella! I am just so happy reading that that I read it twice just for my own enjoyment :o

Way to go you two :thumbsup:

Snook, it still sounds like you handled it pretty well :) and you never know, but maybe being that close proximity to the dog, and also not having anything 'bad' happen might stick in his mind and ultimately be a good thing :)

But yes it's crazy! Some people just really don't understand at all.

I have been having some wins with Del this week.

She has been doing so well at club. And I made a wonderful find in my neighbourhood this week. A lovely little Maltese who spends the day in his front yard. He is quite curious watching me do BAT with Del. sometimes he has a little woof at her, but he doesn't get very worked up. Apart from being quite an adorable little one-eyed fellow he also makes a great training partner for us :) I make sure I tell him how good he is being :)

We had a lovely decoy dog but I had to stop "paying" her because she was putting on weight. Turns out I wasn't the only owner using her.

Del and a malt must be sweet, not Samson and Delilah but Delilah and David.

Oh Raineth, thanks for your kind words. I'm the same with some pep's posts. I read them more than once as well. I also talk to my laptop as well :shhh: Well I do get so much enjoyment for others if they are having 'wins' with their dog. I know how difficult our reactive guys can make even the easiest of things on a bad day. So on a good day it's like heaven.

Del is going really well for you too atm which is great :thumbsup: What a lovely little malt you have in your neighbourhood. Most Malts usually scare my 2 guys cause they are very in their face, yappy & loud. He sounds lovely though.

Hankdog, that's funny others are using the exact same decoy fella as you. He is doing alright then, isn't he?:laugh:

Snook, I have moments like that. Everything just happens so quickly & your in the moment, you don't get enough time to think clearly. I get really flustered at times as well. I think you went very well.

Hi everyone,

Just a quick message from me. I have just started a "support and advice" group on Facebook for owners of "volatile" or reactive dogs. There are already over a hundred members and it's only 24 hours old. There will be lots of practical tips and techniques as well as just chat with other people working hard for their difficult dogs. Would love to see some of you there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/volatiledogs/

Hi corvus, oh that sounds great. I dont have a facebook page or anything but I would love to join in. Im very behind the times lol. You have quite a following already which is great. Thanks for the link. See if I can fumble my way through :)

The weather certainly hasn't been doing us any favours of late Snook. I always find the wind seems to stir Stella up. She is a lot more flighty & reactive than on calm days. Justice did well though :thumbsup: It's all about that 'safe' non reactive distance isn't it? Some days if I go just one step closer, BAM, Stel will react. Sometimes it is hard to judge that 'safe' space as I find she is better on some days than others. Definitely not a routine call.

• 2 weeks later...

I've discovered a new training technique.

Whilst out walking we were attacked by a little dog. It was quite determined and I started throwing sticks at it. In the melee I accidentally threw the peanut butter jar. It worked because the dog started licking away at the jar.

The owner turned up and we got our jar back and did some LAT and left in a nice calm way. About twenty minutes later and another dog comes rushing out at us. Jake takes one look, puts his head down and power walks past. No way was he taking any chances of another dog getting his precious peanut butter.

We have been working on separating him from me at training so his attention is split, turns out should have just separated him from his special jar.

Oh no !!!! Thats my peanit butter jar... giggle.

Thats funny Hankdog. Hay, well it's whatever works. Jakey did very well not reacting. Sometimes those SWFies are so vocal & in your dogs face. They are quite cranky some of them & persistent.

I've only had to face one or two big dogs and none have been really serious. I get to wrangle at least one little guy a week and they are seriously evil. They often do that circling, running in from the back thing that gets my leashes tangled. I guess I'm lucky that they're only small but its tricky because my mode of operation is to step in front of Jake and then yell go away. I'm really yelling for owners to come get their dog but then it must be confusing for Jake since I'm doing exactly what I don't want him to do.

Yes I don't like it when they circle around the back of you either. They are cunning. Thats when I have had one actually bite Sonny on his rear leg. Didn't break the skin thankfully but Stella then rushed at her & did bite it on the back. I was upset by this stage as the owner was miles away on the phone ERRR.Very annoying situation. My dogs don't like it when I yell to try & get the owners attention either. I think because I am not a loud person at all. Very quiet house hold here. No arguements or messy stuff My guys just aren't used to raised voice & they dont like it.

Hi everyone,

I've just found this course thats running in Adelaide on Thursday night about "on lead behaviour problems". I'm heading along and thought someone else following this thread might find it useful.

http://www.adelaideveterinarybehaviourservices.com.au/www/content/default.aspx?cid=842

I also have a question about how people handle situations when people insist on letting their "friendly" dog say hello to your dog? It seems to be happening over and over again to me. No matter how many times I'm saying "he's not friendly, please keep your distance" I still get people going "oh no but my dog is friendly so it will be fine" or "no my dog is really submissive so they will be fine". Aside from being seriously rude I can't seem to get people to back off!! And then they get mad at me if Spencer snaps...grrrrrrr. Never mind the fact that their friendly dogs want to do nothing but lick and jump on his face which is not ideal! I've recently taken to just bolting in the other direction but that makes me look a bit looney haha.

Luckily Jakes very vocal so I don't have to try get dogs away . If an off leash approaches I out him in a sit and step in front and yell, with my best and deepest voice. I think the psychology is that your dog trusts you to keep other dogs away. I have a bright orange harness and leash to my waist and then a thick studded leash to my hands, people tell me they see the double setup and realise to stay away.

I always cross the road as well but then I can't go past on the same side anyway. Sometimes you do just have to be rude, you get to keep your dog safe that's no one else's decision.

I did read someone else say they yell back " how many pieces do you want him back in!"

If that's spence in your avatar then yes people tend to think every lab wants to be everyone's friend. That must be frustrating. Even if mine was friendly I still think that it's rude of people to let their dogs run up. In dog world it's not polite and we as humans would be uncomfortable if someone rushed up and jumped on us.

Hi everyone,

I've just found this course thats running in Adelaide on Thursday night about "on lead behaviour problems". I'm heading along and thought someone else following this thread might find it useful.

http://www.adelaideveterinarybehaviourservices.com.au/www/content/default.aspx?cid=842

I also have a question about how people handle situations when people insist on letting their "friendly" dog say hello to your dog? It seems to be happening over and over again to me. No matter how many times I'm saying "he's not friendly, please keep your distance" I still get people going "oh no but my dog is friendly so it will be fine" or "no my dog is really submissive so they will be fine". Aside from being seriously rude I can't seem to get people to back off!! And then they get mad at me if Spencer snaps...grrrrrrr. Never mind the fact that their friendly dogs want to do nothing but lick and jump on his face which is not ideal! I've recently taken to just bolting in the other direction but that makes me look a bit looney haha.

Turn and go is my friend, although I do like the "how many pieces..." line . Although I don't think the BCs look sufficiently menacing . I turn and go and walk purposefully off in a different direction. If the oncoming dog is off lead, I ask the owner politely to call it back if it's coming close to us. If I get the 'he's friendly', I just say something like "Mine aren't .. call your dog please.". it gets less polite after that :laugh: . I try to always remember to thank those people who can and do call their dogs back and either leash or control them... thankfully there are some :D

Yep thats my boy as my avatar... looks can be deceiving. I do try to just walk away but when we're trying to do a class or something it becomes more problematic. I'm just going to have to be more conscious of being more assertive and rude if I have to be! Thanks guys :)

If a reactive dog is a bit insecure, you are better off stepping up for your dog and getting rid of the approaching dog as the pack leader and "piss off" yelled loudly with a strong arm movement to shoo the dog away is very effective to get rid of the dog and reassuring to your dog that you have got things under control and your dog doesn't need to deal with it.

Sure you will exhibit some rudeness, but who cares really when the object is training your dog and a reactive dog blowing over threshold is destructive to your progress. If people don't have respect for your requests, then they don't deserve politeness.

The other thing is to "try" and remain calm as the dog senses handler stress and makes it worse.....seeing an unleashed dog approach and you are thinking "hell I don't need this" in an anxious way, your dog sensing your anxiety is more likely to exceed threshold and react.

I know this sounds a bit out there, but maintaining a good confident strut with your dog and bit of arrogance and tell an approaching off leash dog to piss off if necessary, does wonders for your dog's insecurity. A different handler attitude can have a dramatic difference to a reactive dog's thresholds in a rehabilitation process. :)

lot of people seem to need some kind of explanation to get over feeling like you've somehow attacked them personally by not wanting their dog to meet yours.

You totally right on that Snook.....why do people take offence at rejecting their dog plays with yours and feel you are obliged to provide an explanation? They are worse stopping their kids rushing over to pat your dog which you stop the interaction for their kids safety just as a precaution even if the dog isn't human aggressive, safe is better than sorry, but they don't get it :confused:

Edited by Amax-1

Interesting....how dogs pick up on your feelings of stress. I live on a farm but I like to walk my dogs down our gravel road onto the tar then back up through our paddocks. It's about 3 kilometers. But 200 meters into our walk there are two neighbours dogs that come rushing up their 200 meter long driveway & out onto the road. They are not terribly unfriendly...the cattle dog holds back but the big kelpie likes to come out & say hello, standing as tall as he can. My girl can cope with it, but my boy gets very stressed & excited & will sometimes take it out on my girl who is walking beside him :( Those two dogs are so good at it now, that they hear my boots on the gravel as soon as I tread outside my front gate. So now, I speed walk that section & literally drag my dogs past if they try to stop. Of course it is right outside their gate that my two always want to stop & sniff & pee etc :laugh: I am sure they pick up on my stress. I always do a loop so I don't have to come back the same way, otherwise the dogs are sitting there waiting for us. I think I just need to learn to relax a bit. I walk them in harnesses as the young guy is very good at slipping his collar. Also, I am hoping that a dog on a harness possibly appears less threatening to another dog, than one on a collar.

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller. We've adopted a 2 year old Staffie / Lab cross in January and he's leash reactive. We've done a training class for reactive dogs which has helped enormously - we use LAT, "leave it" and "let's go" pretty much every day, and it's been great. It's becoming second nature to him and to us, so that it's now very rare that we run into problems.

Just reading this comment though, I had to reply. We also had the same problem, people with "friendly" dogs that would insist on approaching our dog on walks. Our guy would go totally off his brain and then we'd get nasty looks and comments ("bogan staffie owners...."). Our trainers offered us some great advice though, which works every time in these situations - tell the approaching person with the "friendly" dog that your dog has kennel cough. Watch how quickly they recall their dog and stay out of your way.

It's been great reading everyone's stories and experiences though. Unless you've owned a reactive dog, you just wouldn't understand. And we've had our fair share of hilarious moments. Like we live inner city, and one day we're walking along our dense, tiny little inner city street and there appears from nowhere a horse and carriage. Suffice to say, we were totally unprepared and it took him a few days to recover!

Edited by Flexistentialist

A horse and carriage....some things you just can't train for. One day I crossed the road to avoid a dog and there behind the tree was a white horse all done up in glittery saddlery. It was near the Sikh temple and the groom was going to ride up the road. You could barely make out the horse and I just kind of crossed my fingers and hoped like hell. Jake didn't flinch.