Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Thistle is so beautiful and I love seeing her videos.

Sounds like you two are the perfect pair.

Dozer's latest trick is "fist bump " which I taught him because the boys would always ask for fist bumps and he would look at them blankly.

I really want to try 101 things to do with a box but OH cleaned out the garage and we have no boxes left!

That sounds like a good excuse to purchase something that comes in a large box to me

I'm loving reading everyones adventures with boxes!

Luna was stellar this morning, we walked in an area that we don't normally and she only reacted to a cyclist who whizzed past with his dog - she almost held herself together but didn't quite make it :laugh: we had an offlead dog sprint towards us and I managed to hold it together and call out for him to call his dog please - his dog recalled beautifully and my lovely girl stayed under threshold. I remembered to call out a thank you as well! Very happy with both of us this morning :)

I'm loving reading everyones adventures with boxes!

Luna was stellar this morning, we walked in an area that we don't normally and she only reacted to a cyclist who whizzed past with his dog - she almost held herself together but didn't quite make it :laugh: we had an offlead dog sprint towards us and I managed to hold it together and call out for him to call his dog please - his dog recalled beautifully and my lovely girl stayed under threshold. I remembered to call out a thank you as well! Very happy with both of us this morning :)

It is so hard to remember to acknowledge the other handler when you are dealing with your dog. Well done Jemmy. I usually remember 5 minutes later, when they are well and truly gone :laugh:

Thistle is so beautiful and I love seeing her videos.

Sounds like you two are the perfect pair.

Dozer's latest trick is "fist bump " which I taught him because the boys would always ask for fist bumps and he would look at them blankly.

I really want to try 101 things to do with a box but OH cleaned out the garage and we have no boxes left!

That sounds like a good excuse to purchase something that comes in a large box to me

Oh white goods come in great boxes. Just saying :bolt:

Well hello handsome :wave:

A huge win with Justice this morning, Snook. I am rapt.

Why do I think he is conning you to a degree. Cheeky bugger. Can you determine if there is a difference in shaking in anticipation, and shaking due to stress?

Haha this has become the dog in a box thread. Well done Justice, that was very quick to get in there.

I wonder if it's a mix of real meltdowns interspersed with "oh I'm bored but mum gives me attention when I do this" meltdowns. I think when our dogs are really in tune with us there's a certain amount of reverse training and he may have just worked out what works, if that makes sense.

I love Justice's ears! They're so gorgeous. He's got a lovely face too, very intent look there XD

Maybe next time you suspect a con you can try ignoring him? Whenever thistle has a "freak out" over something not immediately obvious I make a point about acting casual and chill as if whatever scared her is no big deal (seriously they're just new curtains come on now). I rarely actually comfort her these days, a lot of it is redirecting and distracting (unless it's a potential bolt or mindless struggle scenario, then it's holding on and calling her name calmly until her brain turns back on :( )

I'd be quite surprised if a Justice could fake that much of a reaction Snook. I know dogs can manipulate and be pretty quick to make associations and "train" us but I think it might be too complex for a dog's brain to fake the whole thing including the shaking. It would also mean he'd have to have been aware enough during his genuine panics to register the different aspects of what he was doing in order to be able to fake them, which seems unlikely to me.

It will be interesting to hear what the VB says.

PS Lucky he's so gorgeous, with all he puts you through :)

Jake stages fake dog meltdowns, although to be fair just because I can't see them doesn't mean he can't smell them I suppose. I think just go with your instinct on your reaction. I still reward him for "calling himself off" because the way I see it if he's practicing behaving well then he's building confidence and working out how I work. So if he's figured out when he's stressed to come to you for help then that's a good thing and worth practicing so in a "real" meltdown he can do the "seeking help" behaviour with confidence.

Not really the same rules as would apply to rational dogs but seems to work for Tubby.

• 2 weeks later...

Jakes been coming along in leaps and bounds. We have had him outside doing his little obstacle course right next to the trainers dogs enclosure. Last week there was 4 dogs on the other side of the fence and I had him about 50cm away from the fence looking right at the dogs and relaxed enough to hold the pb jar so that he had to turn away from the dogs to get some. All the little dudes were looking at him with envy.

This week there was a training trainer, so I gave Jake to him and Lynette was showing him what to do and I went and played with the enclosure dogs with a toy rope. I was throwing it around and the dogs were chasing and barking and Jake was listening to a complete stranger and doing everything he was told. I'm so rapt, since his last board/train he's been very much more friendly to people he doesn't know, he will actually roll over on the street for a belly rub. It's great to see him being a real bulldog attention hog.

Edited by hankdog

Edit: I've found this useful video that gives me some ideas and eases my fears on it ruining impulse control and instead helping

-

Has anyone used a flirt pole on their dog? I've borrowed one to try it out and thistle quite likes chasing and grabbing it. I thought we could use it to strengthen those muscles now that she's no longer underweight.

But I'm worried tgat she will think this means it's okay to a) chew people toys and b) chase small furry animals like the neighbours cat (she roughs it up so worried) or birds or the rabbits*. Also if this will adversely harm her impulse control?

General update: carried on a lot in class cause there was a strange dog chasing a ball. But she didn't carry on AT anyone, if that makes sense? She looked and carry on at me so was easier to get her attention and calm her down. Doing well at learning to sit calmly and not run away or at sudden movements. Could be a fluke class tho but feeling tentatively better.

*i have two old rabbits. Thistle is not allowed near them and I have two doors closed between her and then when I'm not around. They deserve to have their retirement in peace..but just in case she does somehow get to their pen I'm hoping enough hesitating from her that I can prevent anything so I've been discouraging her chasing anything that isn't a ball or frisbee I've thrown. Worried since this is basically sheep skin on a string - she won't notice the difference? :s

Edited by Thistle the dog

Oh Snook I have everything crossed that Justice's increasing anxiety is due to a side effect the prozac and that you are able to find another drug that helps him very soon.

Gentle tummy rubs to the big boofa and reassuring hugs to you

Oh snook :( I'm crossing fingers for you and justice that he's reacting to the meds :( my heart goes out to the two of you :(

I think I might get that video, I really got into the preview. It'd be good to work out what's in thistles head. Bit of anxiety, bit of not feeling safe, bit of fear? How to address and help her?

Edited by Thistle the dog