'how To Build A Dog'

persephone

LINK HERE to photos

Scientists have found the secret recipe behind the spectacular variety of dog shapes and sizes, and it could help unravel the complexity of human genetic disease.

All of the dogs below are from the 2011 Westminster Dog Show. The American Kennel Club 2010 popularity ranking is listed after the name of the breed.

LINK HERE to article

Edited by persephone

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting article, thanks for posting

Article was interesting but I couldn't get passed those horrible cropped ears in the photos section. shudder

Edited by LizT

Article was interesting but I couldn't get passed those horrible cropped ears in the photos section. shudder

For photos of extreme dogs, I recommend:

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

Personally, I'm more grossed out by coiffure than ears that have been tampered with. But then, I'm not into cosmetics and I would never own a long haired dog.

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

Personally, I'm more grossed out by coiffure than ears that have been tampered with. But then, I'm not into cosmetics and I would never own a long haired dog.

Well, this is a photo from dogshowpoop. Aside from your dislike of long haired dogs, perhaps you can advise what is extreme about this dog?

what is extreme about this dog?

:o *snigger* apologies .. it is immaculate and beautiful...BUT

my very first mind flash was "topiary"

:o

:rofl:

Oooh, oooh, if I had a breed with such a distinct sillouette I'd definitely get someone to do a topiary dog in my garden for me! :)

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

You're probably more desensitised to cropped ears Sandgrubber, given your location.

But at least hair can be changed and grow to what the owner likes. Those ears aren't growing back. :cry:

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

You're probably more desensitised to cropped ears Sandgrubber, given your location.

But at least hair can be changed and grow to what the owner likes. Those ears aren't growing back. :cry:

To be honest, I like the look of cropped ears on a Dobe :shrug: Not the huge, batty ears but the small, neat erect ears that make them look more alert (like this). I honestly don't see much difference between ear cropping and tail docking. After all, that tail isn't going to grow back either.

As for the dogs on the other site linked.. while I'm not a fan of fluffy, girly-looking dogs, I can appreciate the enormous level of skill that's obviously gone into some of those clips.

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

To be honest, I like the look of cropped ears on a Dobe :shrug: Not the huge, batty ears but the small, neat erect ears that make them look more alert (like this). I honestly don't see much difference between ear cropping and tail docking. After all, that tail isn't going to grow back either.

As for the dogs on the other site linked.. while I'm not a fan of fluffy, girly-looking dogs, I can appreciate the enormous level of skill that's obviously gone into some of those clips.

While I will agree your example it is far nicer and less extreme....I still believe if you want a dog with erect ears, then get a dog with erect ears. There are plenty to choose from. It's not rocket science.

Not a fan of docked tails either I'm afraid, but each to their own when it comes to fashion (and lets face in this day and age practicality doesn't come into it) it's ALL about fashion.

Cutting a dog's hair doesn't hurt it any more than cutting a person's hair. However ridiculous they may end up looking it doesn't hurt them, and they don't care what they look like, at worst they get very bored while the clip is done. Docking tails and cropping ears is a completely different issue.

dogshowpoop.blogspot.com

While I will agree your example it is far nicer and less extreme....I still believe if you want a dog with erect ears, then get a dog with erect ears. There are plenty to choose from. It's not rocket science.

Not a fan of docked tails either I'm afraid, but each to their own when it comes to fashion (and lets face in this day and age practicality doesn't come into it) it's ALL about fashion.

Easier said than done if you're after a dog of a certain type and temperament (things that really do matter when considering breeds). The cosmetic things.. while some of them are obviously just about aesthetics, others do have more practical backgrounds and reasoning behind them.

And then there are other cosmetic traits (bred in, rather than altered after birth) that can potentially shorten a dog's life and cause them considerable discomfort so I have to admit I find it odd that people (not meaning you, speaking generally) can be so anti-tail docking (for example) but be okay with dogs that suffer skin conditions because of the desirable skin wrinkling.

typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

That blue merle Australian Shepherd looks like James Bond from Stars Kennels in Michigan.. I'll have to ask Laura. :)

ETA: it is. Gch Star's Gold Ringer. The brother to my litter's sire's sire. <3

Edited by Parkeyre