I Feel Like I' M Being Manipulated ......

I think i understand what the OP is saying.When some people lose a beloved pet they wish they could replace it with a copy, as in another pup from the original.As the OP stated

""Continue his line in our family "and "regretted not doing this with our last dog ".

I recently had a conversation with a lady who was asking for help to find a cat to "Replace the one that had just died."Not any cat ,it had to look exactly the same as the one in the picture of her old cat.Of coarse you can't''' replace"a pet as they are all different individuals.

I would suggest the OP desex her pup and later on get another from the same lines perhaps the offspring of one of his litter mates if that comes to be.

The OP just sounds like a normal member of the general public. Most people would probably say it would be nice to have pups from their dog. Gawd I had half my last puppy class saying it. It is through lack of knowledge but any evil intent. You just explain the health issues and the joys of living with entire animals. Most bolt to the vet to get the animal desexed.

Most people wouldn't understand the whole limited register bit either. I am not convinced about the limit register myself.

Honestly though this is why people just think it is too hard and go buy a pup from a petshop.

This was the point i was trying to make ; you said it better than me JulesP. I hope the OP stays around ;too many new members don't make it past thier first thread;

very sad .

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people wouldn't understand the whole limited register bit either.

I am not convinced about the limit register myself.

Honestly though this is why people just think it is too hard and go buy a pup from a petshop.

I don't use it.

People don't like being treated like idiots.

I wouldn't buy a dog on limited register, and I don't put them on the limited register before I send them to homes.

If you can't trust the people they are homed with, then don't send them there.

Px

So Limited Register = Idiot - an interesting interpretation. Tralee - you must be so lucky that not one person who has ever bought a puppy from you has turned out to be not what they seemed or done the worng thing.......and just how many puppies is that pls? ....

Tralee said people don't like being treated like idiots - I agree with that fact. It would not matter how many puppies were bred, that fact remains true.

So Limited Register = Idiot - an interesting interpretation.

Tralee - you must be so lucky that not one person who has ever bought a puppy from you has turned out to be not what they seemed or done the worng thing.......and just how many puppies is that pls? ....

No. that's not what I said.

I said new puppy owners don't like being treated like idiots.

Limited register might have its place with many breeds.

But I am so lucky that, infrequently when puppy time comes around, there is a large choice of where the puppies go to.

Do they use them to breed?

Very few.

Do I know who is breeding?

Yes, because they usually ask for a breeding one and send follows ups of the litters. Heraldus in Hawaii

Are the breeding dogs extra special out of the litter?

Of course they are.

How many?

Well I can name them all and tell you where they went?

I am always happy to help clear up any confusion.

Px

Edited by Tralee

I don't use it.

I wouldn't buy a dog on limited register, and I don't put them on the limited register before I send them to homes.

Px

I agree. Purebred dog ownership should be encouraged, people should not feel excluded by limitations. Most people do make responsible decisions. Those who do not, will not be stopped by limited register. Everyone started somewhere - many big timers would have begun with a dream of owning a purebred dog of their own. Also, experienced long term (purebred dog)owners are not all above reproach.

I don't use it.

Px

Pardon me but are you really going to put inferior stock on the main register. :mad If you do you will not have much credibility with other breeders for long.

That's why we have the Limited register so puppies that are not show quality can go it and not be shown as the REAL thing.

No wonder we have people complaining about the ethics of SOME breeders.

If someone is smart enough to get a purebred, pedigreed, registered dog then talking down to them or making fools out of them is not going to go un-noticed.

I only know how hard it is turning perfectly good homes away, at puppytime, because decisions have to be made about who can take the dogs.

It would be hypocritical to try to tell others they can't do what I'm doing.

I don't want people telling me I can't show or I'm not savvy enough to be able to join the right two dogs together.

That's the CCC's job anyway.

Px

Pardon me but are you really going to put inferior stock on the main register. :mad If you do you will not have much credibility with other breeders for long.

That's why we have the Limited register so puppies that are not show quality can go it and not be shown as the REAL thing.

oakway

But its not necessary here.

When someone tells me they don't want to show, or breed, then I accept that.

The difference is, I know where my dogs are and what they're doing.

I have one dog out of three litters that is being shown.

And that is sad because there were others that would have shown well.

I have one dog out of three litters being used to breed.

And that is sad because there were others that would have bred well.

I don't use the Limited register because I don't need to.

That doesn't mean to say I wouldn't use it if I had to.

But then I would probably send the puppy somewhere else.

I have not done anything unethical at all.

I treat all puppy inquiries with dignity.

'tis all

Px

Edited by Tralee

I don't use it.

Px

Dog shows are meant to decide what is 'best' - titles are awarded as proof.

But pewithers, not every dog in a litter should be on the main register, its not for idiot proofing, its an indicator that the pup is NOT show and therefore NOT breeding quality.

Doesn't mean it isn't a quality pet and nice example of its breed.

There are breeders that put everything on the main register, and that to me indicates they have little idea.

fifi

Edited by fifi

Or even if it is main register quality, but it's going to a pet home where at time of sale it won't be for showing or breeding.

You can upgrade later if things change.

fifi

Edited by fifi

But pewithers, not every dog in a litter should be on the main register, its not for idiot proofing, its an indicator that the pup is NOT show and therefore NOT breeding quality.

There are breeders that put everything on the main register, and that to me indicates they have little idea.

fifi

Some do, but our 'market' is different.

We might breed for working temperament and then the dynamic changes.

I don't, but you get my point.

I had a dog that could have been moved on to the Limited Register because it was cited for temperament.

Now, the dog is the most 'mellow' character anyone could want.

For us, the limited register has a limited usefulness.

When I send a dog off to 'work' I am more concerned that the dog stays alive long enough to justify breeding it in the first place.

Don't get me started on perfectly good placements that turn out to be less than desirable.

Px

Edited by Tralee

oakway

But its not necessary here.

When someone tells me they don't want to show, or breed, then I accept that.

The difference is, I know where my dogs are and what they're doing.

I have one dog out of three litters that is being shown.

And that is sad because there were others that would have shown well.

I have one dog out of three litters being used to breed.

And that is sad because there were others that would have bred well.

I don't use the Limited register because I don't need to.

That doesn't mean to say I wouldn't use it if I had to.

But then I would probably send the puppy somewhere else.

I have not done anything unethical at all.

I treat all puppy inquiries with dignity.

'tis all

Px

Wait till you get caught and see what happens then. :)

Many of us have been caught at some stage with the so called "you beaut" owners.

Yes even me!!!!!.

It's called once bitten twice shy. :)

I don't use it.

Px

Dog shows are meant to decide what is 'best' - titles are awarded as proof.

No not at at all.

If you are the judge and somebody brings in an inferior speciamen of the breed what would you think.

Well I will tell you what I used to think....who was the idiot that put this on the main register.

Not everthing we breed is suitable for the main register.

Yes we can all make a mistake but it is usually rare for "experienced" breeders. :)

But pewithers,this is not allowed not every dog in a litter should be on the main register, its not for idiot proofing, its an indicator that the pup is NOT show and therefore NOT breeding quality.

fifi

But Maremma are under-represented in the show ring so there is less to compare.

The show quality is improving. At least I hope it is so lets not go there.

But my two dogs are titled and justifiably so.

I don't want to sound arrogant but which one of their pups was not show or breeding quality?

What I will say is that dogs were chosen for show and breed homes because they were superior to the others.

But that means they were an improvement on their parents not that the others were inferior to their parents.

All worthy of the main register.

Lets face it we're not talking hundreds even dozens of dogs here.

I don't want to sound rude, but in the interest of our objectives - To Improve the Breed - If you are producing dogs that obviously have to go on the Limited Register then -- hello !!!!

Some difference I would have thought.

Regards

Px

Edited by Tralee

Wait till you get caught and see what happens then. :)

Many of us have been caught at some stage with the so called "you beaut" owners.

Yes even me!!!!!.

It's called once bitten twice shy. :)

Well I think you mean wait until it all goes sour.

I'm not deliberately doing anything that could be reasonably criticised

But I know what you meant.

What I don't like is getting phone calls from an experienced Maremma owner telling me that the excellent breeding bitch they were sent has not survived its first year, or equally from rich Italians who couldn't be bothered to go and rescue a dog isolated in the floods.

It is hard to make a critical comment about dogs that I have seen which obviously, not only should have been on the limited register but, should not have been produced in the first place without sounding 'troll' like. So I won't. :D

My dogs are availabe to view by anyone at any time. Arawn

:)

I wouldn't buy froma breeder that put every dog on the main register. I'd much rather pet dogs get put on the limited register (ie this doe isn't going to be shown or bred, says nothing about the quality of the dog) and if it turns out to be a stunner and the breeder wants to use it for stud or the owner wants to breed it the right way then they can put it on the main register.