Tick Removal

kezzzza

I just recieved this in a email, I dont live in a tick area but thought this might help someone

Give it a try.

Please forward to anyone with children... Or hunters or dogs, or anyone who even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share --

And it really works!!

I had a paediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick.

This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball.

Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20),

the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

We live with ticks & I have always just grabbed the tick down low & quickly pulled it out. Hard to do with paralysis ticks, but not impossible, as they sort of half bury themselves.

I have always believed that if you put something on the tick it will inject more toxin before it dies or releases & the only time we have done this (put t-tree oil on tick) the dog who wasn't even showing any signs at the time, 12 - 14 hours later was fighting for it's life @ the after hours vet. If I found a tick in an inaccessible place, I would take the dog to the vets & get him to remove it.

When we first moved to the farm, some 30 yrs ago, an old-timer told us to remove the tick & rub condy's crystals on the wound & get the animal to swallow some with a little milk. It worked every time for us with some calves which were way past it, also saved cats.

Just in case people don't open the link in Janba's post - a website called Snopes says that information is false.

Word for word, it's an email which has been circulating since 2006 and the advice is said to be folklore and may not work.

I've used a Tick Twister before and thought they were so great we now have them at the Medical centres I work for (unless the ticks are absolutely tiny).

ticktwister.jpg

Edited by Roova

Best method is to remove without aggravating the tick further. I've read a paper on how dogs which have had the tick killed/removed by using pesticides/products have a longer recovery time than those dogs who have just had the tick pulled out.