Hopeless Guard Dogs

huck house

My dogs have a "there's something strange around" bark which is different to anything else they bark at.

If they spot someone, they're all over them if we are with them, but if I'm not there. D gets on the defence straight away. The other two watch him and play off of him.

Edited by Everythings Shiny

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh well I'm glad your all okay tho.

Zorro will welcome anyone into the house with big puppy kisses and cuddles. But at least we would know someone was there from an over excited puppy.

Not like my GSD kovu he wouldn't let anyone in unless we let them in. Then he was fine.

Thank goodness you and the dogs slept through it all - last thing you want is to find an intruder in your yard or worse house bad enough to find police officers and a police dog there.

We have had someone try and break in and our dogs, both ACDs, stopped them but we ended up losing both of our dogs due to the injuries they received. I would rather lose stuff and still have our dogs. What would our current dogs do - don't really know. Bert (pap x) is vocal if he perceives a threat to his territory and Katie (grey) will back him up with a loud defensive bark if she thinks its serious. They only bark rarely and for good reason so we always check. Katie has swung herself around to put herself between me and a preceived threat, she also gave a huge defensive bark, when we were out walking which scared the heck out of me as it was the first time I had heard her bark like this.

Our ACDs weren't vocal and perhaps that was the problem they let someone into the yard because they just sat and watched whereas the dogs we have now would bark which would hopefully keep people out of the yard.

So glad you're ok! What an eventful night!

I know for a fact that Cherry, my staffy mix is a good guard. As well as my now passed away dog, Lassie, who was a pitbull mixed with all kinds of other dogs! One day an idiotic council member just waltzed through the side gate, unknown that little 8 year old me was watching him through the computer room, window, no I'm not a stalker or creep, I was playing on the computer :laugh: Anyway, after mum telling him not to go in, he gos ahead, Cherry and Lassie at his feet barking their heads off, hackles up, teeth baring, I just kept yelling for mum, when the b@stard kicks Lassie, which sent Cherry lunging at his face. Dumb guy, Lassie was never the same with people again :mad

However these days along with Cherry who is turning 11 next month (don't know how useful a guard she's be now!), I have Rusty an Aussie shepherd and Biscuit who have never been confonted with any sort of dangerous situation, and I don't want to hav to find out how good or bad of guard dogs they are!

So glad you're safe, and hope you never have to encounter this again

Friends had an incident a few years ago, people came in stole their wallets from the kitchen. Dogs sleep with them. The dogs did bark during the night but they told them to be quiet!

I now get up when my dogs bark. But they would only bark, I am pretty sure neither of them would 'protect' me. Really not sure what I or the dogs would do if someone entered the house and threatened me, hope I never find out.

I have security doors on my front and back doors so that I can have the cool air come in during summer which is what I presume you were wanting. It might pay to look into installing some of those, especially if you have dodgy neighbours.

Thank goodness you and the dogs slept through it all - last thing you want is to find an intruder in your yard or worse house bad enough to find police officers and a police dog there.

We have had someone try and break in and our dogs, both ACDs, stopped them but we ended up losing both of our dogs due to the injuries they received. I would rather lose stuff and still have our dogs. What would our current dogs do - don't really know. Bert (pap x) is vocal if he perceives a threat to his territory and Katie (grey) will back him up with a loud defensive bark if she thinks its serious. They only bark rarely and for good reason so we always check. Katie has swung herself around to put herself between me and a preceived threat, she also gave a huge defensive bark, when we were out walking which scared the heck out of me as it was the first time I had heard her bark like this.

Our ACDs weren't vocal and perhaps that was the problem they let someone into the yard because they just sat and watched whereas the dogs we have now would bark which would hopefully keep people out of the yard.

:( What an awful thing to go through. Exactly why I'd prefer my dog be blissfully unaware (pretty unlikely) or keep away from an intruder if she was alone. If I was home during an intrusion, I should be the one protecting her.

Yep like Nekh said, you can't rely on a dog to "protect" you unless you have a trained personal protection dog.

I like to think having dogs is a deterrent but I would never expect they would actually do anything if anyone broke in, and I wouldn't want them to.

the meter man reads my meter and i have never heard of a problem..... often they aren't here tho.

my lot would not only let burglers in and help them they would be friend them and go with any intruder.... ;)

unless the burgler was overly nasty they would escape unscathed and we have up to 6 dogs of differing sorts..

Yep like Nekh said, you can't rely on a dog to "protect" you unless you have a trained personal protection dog.

I like to think having dogs is a deterrent but I would never expect they would actually do anything if anyone broke in, and I wouldn't want them to.

A work collegue of my husband's has a GSD who bit someone badly who came over the fence in their factory yard on nightshift one night, he wasn't trained but he was very stranger aggressive. My husband knew the dog well and he was ok with him, but he said sometimes the dog would stare at him and he felt a bit uncomfortable. When my husband and the dog's owner did nights at the rear factory, he would bring his dog to work and the dog had access to the whole yard, (the front gates were locked), but anyway the dog got this guy at 3am and the police arrived and arrested the offender.

This dog was the type the owner had to lock away if they had people over, I remember a party we went to at his place and the dog was locked in the garage and would be pounding at the door and barking furiously if anyone went near the garage. The owner always said the dog will protect and he did the night the guy jumped the fence at work and the owner had to pull the dog off the guy whilst my husband rang the police?

A work collegue of my husband's has a GSD who bit someone badly who came over the fence in their factory yard on nightshift one night, he wasn't trained but he was very stranger aggressive. My husband knew the dog well and he was ok with him, but he said sometimes the dog would stare at him and he felt a bit uncomfortable. When my husband and the dog's owner did nights at the rear factory, he would bring his dog to work and the dog had access to the whole yard, (the front gates were locked), but anyway the dog got this guy at 3am and the police arrived and arrested the offender.

This dog was the type the owner had to lock away if they had people over, I remember a party we went to at his place and the dog was locked in the garage and would be pounding at the door and barking furiously if anyone went near the garage. The owner always said the dog will protect and he did the night the guy jumped the fence at work and the owner had to pull the dog off the guy whilst my husband rang the police?

You do get some dogs with a natural ability for the job - but I would say taking an untrained dog with you on night shift is a little stupid too. Untrained doesnt necessarily mean wont work under pressure, but they're lucky that dog didnt turn around and bite them or severely maul the intruder. There is a massive element of risk in an untested dog and especially an aggressive one.

I meant dogs in general, unless you have had them professionally trained there will be no guarantee that the dog will actually do what many people have this romantic notion of them going. Most modern breeds and lines have little protection in them, they will bark but that is an alert dog. More 'OMG WAKE UP! Go deal with that for me will you' type animal :laugh:

Sounds like a number of fear aggressive dogs I know. Reacting to strangers with extreme aggression? How is that remotely desirable in an untrained dog?

Who wants a dog who decides of it's own accord when to exhibit aggression? I certainly wouldn't want a dog like that.

You do get some dogs with a natural ability for the job - but I would say taking an untrained dog with you on night shift is a little stupid too. Untrained doesnt necessarily mean wont work under pressure, but they're lucky that dog didnt turn around and bite them or severely maul the intruder. There is a massive element of risk in an untested dog and especially an aggressive one.

I meant dogs in general, unless you have had them professionally trained there will be no guarantee that the dog will actually do what many people have this romantic notion of them going. Most modern breeds and lines have little protection in them, they will bark but that is an alert dog. More 'OMG WAKE UP! Go deal with that for me will you' type animal :laugh:

This dog is fine with the owners and people the dog knew well, but what I meant was he is an aggressive dog towards strangers period, like you know the dog is aggressive, he's not a placid friendly dog that you may hope will protect if need be and is otherwise docile, he is full on aggressive all the time, I have seen him in the owners car going ape at the window at a stranger, I know they walk him wearing a muzzle just in case?.

He's black with tan legs and came from working lines, he's not the average GSD to look at, perhaps his pedigree is more protection orientated I was thinking over a family pet type?

This dog is fine with the owners and people the dog knew well, but what I meant was he is an aggressive dog towards strangers period, like you know the dog is aggressive, he's not a placid friendly dog that you may hope will protect if need be and is otherwise docile, he is full on aggressive all the time, I have seen him in the owners car going ape at the window at a stranger, I know they walk him wearing a muzzle just in case?.

Friendly to people it knows but goes off at strangers? Hmmm. Sounds like text book fear aggression.

Sounds like a number of fear aggressive dogs I know. Reacting to strangers with extreme aggression? How is that remotely desirable in an untrained dog?

Who wants a dog who decides of it's own accord when to exhibit aggression? I certainly wouldn't want a dog like that.

That's not the point of my post. My husband was working at the rear factory where anything could have happened if theives had have gone down the back and found him and the dogs owner there, you can't see the rear factory from the street?. The point I am making is the dog heard the guy climbing the front gate, ran up from the rear factory and bit the guy as he got over the fence, personally I was glad the dog was there, he did a good job and the offender was arrested......our dog wouldn't have done that?

That's not the point of my post. My husband was working at the rear factory where anything could have happened if theives had have gone down the back and found him and the dogs owner there, you can't see the rear factory from the street?. The point I am making is the dog heard the guy climbing the front gate, ran up from the rear factory and bit the guy as he got over the fence, personally I was glad the dog was there, he did a good job and the offender was arrested......our dog wouldn't have done that?

And from what you've posted about this dog, it would act exactly the same way if your friends had people over and the dog was given access to them. The dog clearly couldn't tell the difference between a genuine threat and any one else, having an out of control aggressive dog like that is certainly not something I would brag about or consider desirable. It's not like the dog was actually protecting your husband and your friend.

Edited by huski

And from what you've posted about this dog, it would act exactly the same way if your friends had people over and the dog was given access to them. The dog clearly couldn't tell the difference between a genuine threat and any one else, having an out of control aggressive dog like that is certainly not something I would brag about or consider desirable. It's not like the dog was actually protecting your husband and your friend.

Ok, what I am trying to say, this is the type of dog who will protect against strangers untrained and "will" bite intruders in the middle of the night and the untrained pet may not, this dog will is my point? Perhaps tell someone who has suffered a home invasion and been assualted in their bed that this dog is not desirable and see if they agree with you?

i prefer the barker to the attacker.

decades ago we were given a 24/7 barker, nothing worked so gave him to a car yard in an industrial area. they never had a break in over the 10 + years he was on patrol. he was one big dog and looked agressive. little did they know only the volume would have done the damage.

one of my ACD's was a silent and used to worry me, as she would dive out of sight and only come out and stare them down when they knocked on the door. always worried what if , while i was out. found out one day. had come home acros the paddock and she didnt know i was home. a gent was knocking on the back door as i came in the front.

before i could call out or get to the door i could see her through the window she came out stared at him and he made a run for his car. she went in slow motion after him. giving him time to make it to his car, then she went into high speed. hit the door with her paws doubling its speed in slamming shut and began barking and growling at the window.

at least i now knew she wouldnt bite just for the sake of getting someone. although scaring the daylights out of a +70 wasnt a good idea either.

Ok, what I am trying to say, this is the type of dog who will protect against strangers untrained and "will" bite intruders in the middle of the night and the untrained pet may not, this dog will is my point? Perhaps tell someone who has suffered a home invasion and been assualted in their bed that this dog is not desirable and see if they agree with you?

But it's not protecting anything - having a dog that is extremely aggressive towards strangers is not remotely the same as having a dog that is actually trained in personal protection. When I said I would never rely on an untrained dog to protect you, I wasn't saying that there aren't dogs out there that do bite people. There are plenty of untrained dogs that bite people but common sense dictates that this is a serious behaviour problem, if it wasn't why do so many of their owners come to us to book consults to stop their dogs displaying unwanted and dangerous aggression?

Having a dog like the one in the example you are giving is a liability, sure it bit an intruder, but from what you said it would bite any one that came onto the property intruder or not, it would even bite your friends house guests! Having a dog like that is dangerous not desirable.

Edited by huski

Friendly to people it knows but goes off at strangers? Hmmm. Sounds like text book fear aggression

I wouldn't call it that, the dogs territorial and guarding instincts are through the roof and I think the owners are merely living in controlled chaos ;) I'd call it lucky the owners got away with it this long without a council visit. It would be worth your husbands friend going and getting some proper training for this dog so it can learn to switch off and relax a little without feeling the need to guard all the time :) if you need a good trainer just PM me.