Microchip Removal

Pattycake

Hi there

Last week our 13week old LAB puppy developed a lump on his back/neck..........took him to the vet. They say its a reaction to his microchip. We kept an eye on it over the weekend but it hadnt got any smaller, it is a pretty hard ball like lump about the size of a 20c piece. It doesnt seem to be bothering him hes still his usual puppy self. So they are going to remove it tomorrow with surgery.

Has anyone else had to do this and how did they react to another microchip later on.

Im sure he will be fine, the hard part will be keeping him from playing with our other dog.

Hi there

Last week our 13week old LAB puppy developed a lump on his back/neck

So they are going to remove it tomorrow with surgery.

wow that is a bit extreme, I would wait quite some time for it to be given a chance for it to go down on it's own accord.

He had his microchip put in about 5-6wks ago before we got him at 8 wks of age.

We only noticed the lump about 8 days ago but it may of been smaller before and we didnt notice it. I know it seems a bit extreme but we can really only go on what the vet says, also the breeder we spoke to last nite said she would probably get it removed too. It has gotten really hard over the weekend, and with the microchip scanner it is right in the middle of the lump.

I also thought it may of been a reaction to his vac but its a diff kind of lump to a 'abnormal reaction' ( or whatever term you use)

Edited by Pattycake

Could be a cyst or similar, I've had one of my dogs rushed in to emergency surgery for suspected cancer on his spine (found a hard lump) and my vet said it had to go right now. Turned out to be a cyst thankfully.

If it's an infection and pus etc, then that's dangerous if it bursts and gets into the dog's system so your vets are probably making sure your dog's not compromised. It's often hard to tell what is going on unless they have a good look under anaesthetic.

Edited by dogmad

My Cavalier girl has a microchip that encapsulated into a hard disk like lump about 6 months after implantation. The vet hadn't seen this happen before and we decided we should wait and see how it panned out. If the lump grew any bigger or presented any problems the vet was going to remove it but in time it disappeared.

Did you end up having it removed or leaving it alone for a while longer?

He had the op though they didnt remove the microchip as they couldnt find it without digging too much.. They took some fluid out and hes now on antibiotics, so not really sure what is going on now just more wait and see.

Hes doing fine, it doesnt seem to be bothering him having a few stitches, still harrassing our springer :laugh:

Edited by Pattycake