Incontinence

Kaffy Magee

Can anyone tell me what other drugs can be used to treat incontinence in bitches other than stilboestrol? Can anyone share their experiences with treating a dog with incontinence, what worked what didn't. What tests did the vet do if any? I'm sure I've read change of diet can help sometimes, can anyone elaborate? Cheers :)

I can't remember what my dog was on if I ever did, the vet said it was hormones. The main thing that made my 12 y/o border collie incontinent was wheat. Even on the tablets if I gave her ordinary kibble she'd wet. Once I made sure she never had any wheat products, kibble, bread, biscuits she was ok.

The vet said it was an unusual cause for it.

Edited by luvsdogs

Propalin did not work for Kate - but twice weekly a couple of good=o's did = she is intolerant to most meats so is on Z/D low allergen kibble which, it turns out, makes her incontinent.

Only meat she tolerates is beef, and only for short term. Makes for interesting ice breaker with new vets .....

I know you wanted to know about other drugs than stilboestrol, but just adding some input anyway.. one of my bitches was put on stilboestrol a few years back now and we believe this was the cause of the onset of IMT (Immune Mediated Thrombocytopaenia). She died a short time later.

Yes, IMT is idiopathic, so of course we will never have any proof of this or know for sure, but this drug is on the list of drugs that can cause immune mediated isses and like i say, it was the one and only thing we could put it down to.

My next bitch to get IMT was put down to Rimadyl.

I would never use either drug again.

My vet prescribed something that pregnant women use for incontinence. I had to blow it up Giz's nostril with a tiny straw. From memory it took 2 bottles before she came good. She'd been on steroids and became incontinent when she stopped taking them. Nowadays I'd be looking at seeing if there was anything herbal I could try.

I've read that soy based products can help, but I've not tried that personally.

Another interesting idea is to increase the dog's muscles in the general area by encouraging tail wagging! :laugh:

My dog is on sporadic silboestrol, her incontinence comes & goes. I just pop her one if I notice she has a wet bum, or a wet patch on her bed. We are lucky in that it only happens every month or so & just one tablet usually sorts it out for a while.

Interesting about the food issues, my dog's incontinence came on after we changed her foods. I tried to switch back to the previous one (which incidentally did have less grains) but discovered her food intolences were worse on that. The regular diarrhea was the greater of 2 evils so I had to ditch that experiment. In the short amount of time I didn't notice any change to the incontinence.