Biting Biting Biting Oh My Gawd Lol

mumof4girls

I thought we were getting there with this doing the ouch loudly and putting hands behind our backs and time out when needed, but today sheesh he is in hyper mode! I feel like we have taken 10 steps back, the little terror.. I gave him a meaty bone thinking maybe his mouth is sore or he needs to really chew lol anyone else been going OK but then had an exceptionally bad day

I hear you!!! Fletcher thinks he is a vampire and has sessions of biting madness. I just keep swapping out fingers and arms for chew toys and hope he'll grow out of it. I'll also be looking for some guidance when we start puppy preschool tomorrow. I wish you all the best, the little brats have super sharp fangs!!

I hear you!!! Fletcher thinks he is a vampire and has sessions of biting madness. I just keep swapping out fingers and arms for chew toys and hope he'll grow out of it. I'll also be looking for some guidance when we start puppy preschool tomorrow. I wish you all the best, the little brats have super sharp fangs!!

I know Jordan I was "trying " to put his car harness on to size it correctly and I ended up putting him in his time out place and ignoring him he was in a frenzy!!! I will be doing the same Monday night with our puppy class, it really is like a frenzy, I don't know if stuffing chew toys in is making it worse lol lol.. He is banashed to the deck tonight until bed time :-) OuCH..

Edited by mumof4girls

Some dogs get really excited when you do the 'ouch' and pull away.

It used to get Esky more reved up and she would try and continue playing this game.

The puppy school we went to suggested putting something yukky tasting (ie Vicks vapour rub) on your hands so that biting became unpleasant.

Of course everyone has their different ways of dealing with this so what helped us might not be your cup of tea.

It's a lot nicer once they are out of this stage

dogs don't say ouch, high pitched noises tend to incite more nipping!

When the pup is about to grab you try a loud growl 'UH UH', if he grabs hard just grab his scruff firmly and give him another growl. When he settles then reward with a toy and show him thats what he should be chewing. Hard chewers or larger pups get a thumb under the tongue and some pressure applied until they realise biting is not on. Always redirect the pup to what it should be doing, but give it a second to realise. If it's chewing on you and you immediately hand it something rewarding ... well, not really going to learn much of a consequence is it. If they throw a fit while you have their scruff, wait until they settle. Pups are great for throwing epic tantrums in order to get out of having to learn NOT to do something :laugh:

Remember this is all done calmly, we dont want to frighten them, just teach them that it's extremely unacceptable.

Oh gosh, yes biting.. :laugh: I often have arms that look like a cat has shredded me with their claws.

A combination super loud yelping and redirection to a chew toy is slowly working for me and his bites are becoming softer. I try not to pull my arm away too quickly because then he thinks my arm is playing with him and he gets excited.

I usually yelp first, he gets startled and licks me then I slowly put a toy in his mouth. He used to hate this and still go for my arm for a few weeks but we are getting there.

One things for sure is puppy teeth HURT!!

I've found yelping like a puppy useful for bite inhibition - I only yelp when it hurts so he knows how hard is too hard, but a "No Biting!" in a deep growly tone is better to stop the biting all together. This combined with a soft grab of his scruff or on his back (like a mother dog's mouth) has worked and he is biting a lot less.

Thank you Nekhbet, I'm going to take a different direction I did think I was exciting him more by what we were doing.. :-)

dogs don't say ouch, high pitched noises tend to incite more nipping!

When the pup is about to grab you try a loud growl 'UH UH', if he grabs hard just grab his scruff firmly and give him another growl. When he settles then reward with a toy and show him thats what he should be chewing. Hard chewers or larger pups get a thumb under the tongue and some pressure applied until they realise biting is not on. Always redirect the pup to what it should be doing, but give it a second to realise. If it's chewing on you and you immediately hand it something rewarding ... well, not really going to learn much of a consequence is it. If they throw a fit while you have their scruff, wait until they settle. Pups are great for throwing epic tantrums in order to get out of having to learn NOT to do something :laugh:

Remember this is all done calmly, we dont want to frighten them, just teach them that it's extremely unacceptable.

yup the only time I don't advocate a consequence like this is if the pup is going to go on to do something like personal protection and bitework. They are the only dogs I allow to play and nip, they get redirected to a toy but you always expect a good hearty chomp from them and it really hurts :laugh: but you have to suck it up.

Every other dog can learn in one swift lesson that teeth on people are NEVER OK. Dog's learn faster from black and white lessons, not gradual and grey areas. That's why I don't understand Ian Dunbars way of letting a pup chew on you and gradually learn to (maybe) stop. When a dog chomps on another, the victim turns around and gives it one almighty lesson, not to hurt it but to provide it a consequence it will remember.

Life's too short to be a chew toy :laugh:

I always find a spray bottle works best for nipping puppies and doing anything naughty :) with a firm "No" when it stops don't just shove something else in its mouth play a game and reward ;)

:laugh: I'm so glad the spray bottle works for some people, it's such a fantastic method, and worked so well for my sister and her JRT! I had such high hopes that it'd work for me, and it kinda did but he just wanted me to keep spraying him. When I stopped spraying him he'd bite me again.. Hrmm. :rofl:

My OH uses ours when Rogue started trying to bite the screen door, Rogue doesn't do that anymore :-)

I always find a spray bottle works best for nipping puppies and doing anything naughty :) with a firm "No" when it stops don't just shove something else in its mouth play a game and reward ;)

:laugh: I'm so glad the spray bottle works for some people, it's such a fantastic method, and worked so well for my sister and her JRT! I had such high hopes that it'd work for me, and it kinda did but he just wanted me to keep spraying him. When I stopped spraying him he'd bite me again.. Hrmm. :rofl:

I find a deep guttral Uh-ah works well but if a child is playing with a puppy I usually put a rope toy or such in the childs hand to direct the biting onto it. I figure teething comes into it and kids should be enjoying playing with the puppy while teaching it not to bite the hand the feeds, strokes, brushes etc. it. :)

Great Dane Rescue have an info sheet on biting puppies that you may find useful: http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/biting.pdf

Thank you MEH I have tried a few of the ones on that sheet, being a tree if he is trying to bite my feet or pants leg, well the bottoms he pulls a couple of times then stops.. I have seen a great improvement with me saying no bite sternly and grabbing the scruff of his neck then walking away ignoring him, he is very social and loves being around us so thus far it seems to be working :-)

My 14 week old has decided that feet are chew toys, especially when they are walking! I have some lovely bruises from where she grabbed me, and have taken to walking around the house with a spray-bottle because it's the only thing that stops her. Even when she does it in the dark and gets stepped on, it doesn't bother her (black puppy chasing feet + no lights on = not a good combo!) and she keeps going back for more.

My 14 week old has decided that feet are chew toys, especially when they are walking! I have some lovely bruises from where she grabbed me, and have taken to walking around the house with a spray-bottle because it's the only thing that stops her. Even when she does it in the dark and gets stepped on, it doesn't bother her (black puppy chasing feet + no lights on = not a good combo!)

and she keeps going back for more.

They are little rascals.. Rogue has been quite pleasant today although I am still on guard for those teeth lol lol

They are little rascals.. Rogue has been quite pleasant today although I am still on guard for those teeth lol lol

Hah, my pup now doesn't bite when I have the water spray in my hand. But if I'm sprayless it's game on. Must find something to squirt with that she can't see. And people say Pugs don't learn things quickly! She learns what she wants lol

Hah, my pup now doesn't bite when I have the water spray in my hand. But if I'm sprayless it's game on. Must find something to squirt with that she can't see. And people say Pugs don't learn things quickly! She learns what she wants lol

If you use a water squirter / gun you're meant to use it when the dog can't see to avoid the problem you have now. All dogs understand cause and effect.