Vaccinations With Choices

sashagirl

its been a while since puppyhood, but it was always

(i) c3, c5 and c5 at roughly 6 weeks, 10 weeks and a month after.

now its

(ii) c3 at 6 weeks, and a final c3 together with nobivac for kennel cough (making it a c5) at 10 to 12 weeks.

or,

(iii) a nobivac c5 at 10 to 12 weeks.

Which option should i choose ? confused

Normally it's either C3 at 6-8 weeks + boosters (either C3 or C5) at 12-14 weeks and 16 - 18 weeks.

There is a newer vaccine available that only needs to be given twice at (approx) 6 weeks and 10 weeks.

one vet told me nobivac is the new vaccine that is given 2x. however, another vet informed me that the new protocol is 2 vacs. nobivac, fortdodge protech c5 or virbac c5 are all the same. its not that nobivac is more potent than protech

both vets are very reputable, which adds to my confusion.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic: I am personally still sceptical about final vaccines being administrated prior to 16 weeks. I just don't comprehend how they work considering the maternal antibodies influence. If anyone can direct me to reading on this phenomena, that would be great.

Normally it's either C3 at 6-8 weeks + boosters (either C3 or C5) at 12-14 weeks and 16 - 18 weeks.

There is a newer vaccine available that only needs to be given twice at (approx) 6 weeks and 10 weeks.

Wish I had of scene this earlier, my vet got me to vaccinate at 10-12 then they sent me a letter at 14 weeks that he was due which I did leave till 14.5 but I would have left it till 14 weeks then 18weeks.. Our trainer was also a little shocked that he was vaccinated so early.. Should I be worried about anything due to this, could the vaccine not be as protective because he had it close to his 12 week needle? I,m not going back to this vet I haven't felt comfortable with them from the start..

http://www.wsava.org/PDF/Misc/VaccinationGuidelines2010.pdf

http://www.ava.com.au/policy/67-vaccination-dogs-and-cats

It is interesting to note that the WSAVA vaccinations group recommend that anything more than core vaccines (ie C3) should be given only after consultation with the owner and animal on an individual basis........ quote "We should aim to vaccinate every animal with core vaccines, and to vaccinate each individual less frequently by only giving non-core vaccines that are necessary for that animal."

It's therefore reasonable to assume that a general blanket recommendation of C5 for every animal as a standard vaccination is outside of those guidelines.

The WSAVA guidelines have been ratified as "Policy" in many countries, particularly the USA and UK. Australia has been one of the last of the developed countries to change recommendations.

Edited by Wundahoo