Updated - He Has Got Worse

kirsty79

get yourself a tube of calming paste for horses, 2ml every morning at least. If you can enclose him somewhere safe or at least shut all the doors in the house so he can only access say hallway/near dog door and put a cheap bed there. No food until you leave and that is put in really difficult to work out toys, saving that a plastic coke bottle filled with kibble and smushed in half.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shite. I have never dealt with a dog like this so have no real advice other than leaving him inside with no access to anything he can destroy...

Hoping he stays safe till you can get to a behaviourist, good luck with it, you must be so stressed.

The doggie door was in the back door which is completely destroyed now. So there is no doggie door for him to come and go between if he comes inside.I have a back bedroom which has raised windows (I fear he could try and break through the glass if at his height). I could use this. However my concern is the door, doorframe and walls. The back door - the door and all of the frame has been completely destroyed with scratching and chewing - surely he will just do the same but inside? Will defintely try the food thing. Had been feeding him before we left but I will make it more difficult so he has to work for the food. Would a enclosed pen / run in the garden be suitable? Or would that freak him out even more? And what on earth do I do with Pickles if I enclose him?

Not being really full of helpful ideas, I would only suggest that perhaps this is why he in a shelter ? Perhaps his other owners could not cope?

It is so hard - worrying that he puts himself in danger ... and having to cope with a wrecked house :( :( I don't think I'd cope - you're doing really well . :o

crossing my fingers you can all stay safe/sane until a proper professional assessment can be done - in the meantime document /photograph everything . damage done , his facial expressions when you notice him whingeing etc ...it all may help.

:hug:

The doggie door was in the back door which is completely destroyed now. So there is no doggie door for him to come and go between if he comes inside.I have a back bedroom which has raised windows (I fear he could try and break through the glass if at his height). I could use this. However my concern is the door, doorframe and walls. The back door - the door and all of the frame has been completely destroyed with scratching and chewing - surely he will just do the same but inside? Will defintely try the food thing. Had been feeding him before we left but I will make it more difficult so he has to work for the food. Would a enclosed pen / run in the garden be suitable? Or would that freak him out even more? And what on earth do I do with Pickles if I enclose him?

If he's doing that much damage, then yes, he will no doubt trash the door, doorframe, window edges of the room you lock him in. Crate is a temporary measure, long term you might be needing to go down the path of a secure run, weld mesh, cement floor & roof :eek:

So, in a nutshell, Eric is freaking out. I am petrified he is going to hurt himself.

You know all of the behaviours you describe don't necessarily scream "anxiety" to me. he's not doing it every day.

They could just as easily be explained by boredom and self-entertainment. The cupboard raiding is a case in point.

I think you need to see a qualified (preferably veterinary) behaviourist pronto - it might actually SAVE you money.

I think you've definitely found out why Eric was surrendered. :(

Just out of interest, how much training and exercise does he get daily? Did he miss out the day before the last destructo dog event?

Edited by Telida Whippets

short term to stop escaping maybe see if a local kennel does day boarding, drop him/them off on way to work pick up after work?

That's an excellent suggestion until they can make a safe and secure run for him.

If you are still looking for a trainer, Jane Harper (www.dogsontrack.com.au) is very good. I think she is from the southside (but not 100% sure as she came to us in the Western suburbs). She was recommended to us from this forum and has been very helpful with our anxious tibbie.

I second this recomendation, She came and saw us up in Noosa For a small travel charge. She is absolutly dedicated and fantastic.

So, in a nutshell, Eric is freaking out. I am petrified he is going to hurt himself.

You know all of the behaviours you describe don't necessarily scream "anxiety" to me. he's not doing it every day.

They could just as easily be explained by boredom and self-entertainment. The cupboard raiding is a case in point.

I think you need to see a qualified (preferably veterinary) behaviourist pronto - it might actually SAVE you money.

Just out of interest, how much training and exercise does he get daily? Did he miss out the day before the last destructo dog event?

He has a 40 minute walk / run every morning and we try and take him for either a 20 min walk in the evening or we''ll play ball / frisbee etc in the garden with him.

The day before the event we had done the morning but not the evening due to my partner working late. I am unable to walk him on my own as he is so strong - he is trained in pretty much all aspects apart from lead walking. He is horrendous and pulls terribly. I wanted to book him in for classes but we have been cripplied moneywise due to numerous vets visits and damage done so far. We have had Eric for only 4 weeks, 2 1/2 of those weeks he had a cone on and was unable to exercise.

I just wanted to pipe in with an example of what happened when we left my dogs inside the house once and went to work. My dogs don't have separation anxiety...

They are usually confined to the backyard when we go to work, but the previous night had been very stormy and was predicted to continue. Our older boy is storm phobic so we thought we'd leave both of them indoors for a day. I left them with Kongs and toys and both were exercised for an hour before we left.

I came home after 8 hours and I found...

Some serious furniture rearrangement, both dog beds, a beanbag, the rug, all been strategically moved to opposite ends of the house.

A bunch of magnets from the fridge on the floor, plus a few magnetic takeaway menus in a million tiny pieces all over the house.

Two wees on the carpet.

One of them had managed to pull an 8 pack of mini Coke bottles from the kitchen bench, still in the packaging... well, they were in the packaging until the dogs got to them. So I found 8 mini Coke bottles strewn over the house in various stages of chewedness... and the corresponding Coke all over the floor and carpet. I found 3 in our bedroom (one under the bed), 3 in the lounge room and 2 in the living room.

.... :rofl:

Over a year later they are finally getting back left-alone-in-house privileges for a few hours at a time.

I hope you are able to get some help as it sounds very stressful.

Edited by wuffles

He has a 40 minute walk / run every morning and we try and take him for either a 20 min walk in the evening or we''ll play ball / frisbee etc in the garden with him.

The day before the event we had done the morning but not the evening due to my partner working late. I am unable to walk him on my own as he is so strong - he is trained in pretty much all aspects apart from lead walking. He is horrendous and pulls terribly. I wanted to book him in for classes but we have been cripplied moneywise due to numerous vets visits and damage done so far. We have had Eric for only 4 weeks, 2 1/2 of those weeks he had a cone on and was unable to exercise.

I think that's worth exploring.

If money is an issue, join a local community based dog training club if there is one in your area. It's usually as cheap as chips.

What are you walking him on (what kind of collar/leash etc)?

You should get a professional opinion but you might want to start reconsidering Eric's behaviour not as "freaking out" but "having fun" and provide better methods (to you) for doing so.

Here's a suggestion to try.. head down to JB Hifi, Hardly Normal or the like and ask for some big applicance boxes (plasma TV, Washing machine etc). you can collapse them to bring them home but tape them back up again. Bunnings can be good too.

Put one in the back yard for the day and see what happens. My guess is that you might think you've walked back in on an exploded recycling plant but ripping and tearing up something big like that will exercise his mind and body.

I'd still do a behaviourist but I think you could consider stopping seeing him as a "victim" and starting to view him (channeling Life of Brian here) as a "very naughty boy". I know this can be hard (and I commend you for your commitment to Eric) but stop feeling sorry for him. Yes, he's WAS a rescue. Now he's an owned dog and you need to focus on what he's doing a little more and perhaps a little less on the 'why'.

It won't hurt either way to provide more outlets for his "teenage rebellion" LO and my guess is he's never been offered or taught them before you got him.

Does he like balls? Sounds like the kind of drivey dog that someone would look at for scent detection work.

short term to stop escaping maybe see if a local kennel does day boarding, drop him/them off on way to work pick up after work?

I looked into three local possibilities - they are between $30 - $55 per day.

We are still reeling from the recent costs and just simply can't afford that atm :(

Also remember that if you provide the 'same' toys every day he'll quickly become bored of the toys.... you need to change them every day.

Even with the box example above that Talida Whippets mentioned (which is a great idea!) if he absolutely loves destroying the box, don't think 'yahoo!!' we've found something he loves and give him a new box every day - make sure you give him a box once a fortnight so it remains a novelty for him. Or else he'll lose interest.

Also with the box idea I put a few treats in it before I seal it up to get the dogs interest in it first.

Also remember that if you provide the 'same' toys every day he'll quickly become bored of the toys.... you need to change them every day.

Even with the box example above that Talida Whippets mentioned (which is a great idea!) if he absolutely loves destroying the box, don't think 'yahoo!!' we've found something he loves and give him a new box every day - make sure you give him a box once a fortnight so it remains a novelty for him. Or else he'll lose interest.

Also with the box idea I put a few treats in it before I seal it up to get the dogs interest in it first.

You should see what a working police dog can do to a washing machine box. :eek: :laugh: :eek:

If destroying a box a day stopped him destroying my furntiture, I'd let him have one!!!

I think that's worth exploring.

If money is an issue, join a local community based dog training club if there is one in your area. It's usually as cheap as chips.

What are you walking him on (what kind of collar/leash etc)?

You should get a professional opinion but you might want to reconsider Eric's behaviour as not "freaking out" but "having fun" and provide better methods (to you) for doing so.

Here's a suggestion to try.. head down to JB Hifi, Hardly Normal or the like and ask for some big applicance boxes (plasma TV, Washing machine etc). you can collapse them to bring them home but tape them back up again. Bunnings can be good too.

Put one in the back yard for the day and see what happens. My guess is that you might think you've walked back in on an exploded recycling plant but ripping and tearing up something big like that will exercise his mind and body.

I'd still do a behaviourist but I think you could consider stopping seeing him as a "victim" and starting to view him (channeling Life of Brian here) as a "very naughty boy".

He needs more outlets for his teenage rebellion LOL and my guess is he's never been offered or taught them before you got him.

Does he like balls? Sounds like the kind of drivey dog that someone would look at for scent detection work.

Wow, all brilliant advice and comments. Highlights things I hadn't even thought of :)

We have just literally purchased one of the halter leads which turns the head slightly if he pulls. I purely did this as a short term measure till we could sort some formal training :o

Ok, googling local community dog training as we speak and think I might have seen one advertised a few months ago!

Tomorrow I shall venture off to Jb Hi Fi and Bunnings for the boxes. The door was "torn to shreds" maybe it is the whole ripping up thing he likes?

He LOVES balls! :)

Wow, all brilliant advice and comments. Highlights things I hadn't even thought of :)

We have just literally purchased one of the halter leads which turns the head slightly if he pulls. I purely did this as a short term measure till we could sort some formal training :o

Ok, googling local community dog training as we speak and think I might have seen one advertised a few months ago!

Tomorrow I shall venture off to Jb Hi Fi and Bunnings for the boxes. The door was "torn to shreds" maybe it is the whole ripping up thing he likes?

He LOVES balls! :)

I'm not saying this is the answer BUT it won't hurt Eric or you to try these things while you sort out the financials.

Dogs get a huge seratonin rush from ripping and chewing. That's the pleasure chemical. Big bones, nice small logs with bark to pull off (think firewood)(a lot of dogs LOVE to chew wood), pieces of fire hose from your local firies etc are all cheap and may help entertain him.

A sand pit, some plastic buckets etc are all cheaper targets for his entertainment than your furniture. So are big soft toys from Vinnies or the Salvos (hope you like snow storms LOL)

How does he go on the halti for you?

You can use his ball drive to train him.

If he likes ripping things up old softtoys from op shops are another cheap one. Yes you will have stuffing everywherre, but it doesn't sound like you'll mind too much if he's occupied!! Old sheets from the op shop knotted up, even with treats or similar tied up inside so he has to work at them. You just need to mind he doesn't fill his digestive system with fabric.

The head halter may help with his pulling so you can get him out and about. Another good anti-pulling halter that won't break the bank is an Infin8 one from Blackdog. Or a front attaching body harness sometimes works too.

Whats the grace period of the shelter? You've had this dog a week and he's destroyed the place. Weigh up if you have the time and finances for a high maintenance dog that will obviously need a lot of ongoing work.

If he likes ripping things up old softtoys from op shops are another cheap one. Yes you will have stuffing everywherre, but it doesn't sound like you'll mind too much if he's occupied!! Old sheets from the op shop knotted up, even with treats or similar tied up inside so he has to work at them. You just need to mind he doesn't fill his digestive system with fabric.

The head halter may help with his pulling so you can get him out and about. Another good anti-pulling halter that won't break the bank is an Infin8 one from Blackdog. Or a front attaching body harness sometimes works too.

Just added the Vinnies option to my post Aloysha :)