Best In Show At Westminster (usa) V- Videos

Jed

From the AKC breed standard for Pekinese"

. . . long, coarse-textured, straight, stand-off outer coat, with thick, soft undercoat. The coat forms a noticeable mane on the neck and shoulder area with the coat on the remainder of the body somewhat shorter in length. A long and profuse coat is desirable providing it does not obscure the shape of the body. Long feathering is found on toes, backs of the thighs and forelegs, with longer fringing on the ears and tail.

. . . Presentation should accentuate the natural outline of the Pekingese.

??????

oh give up. My parents had pekes around 30 years ago as pets. Winston was as heavily coated as the BIS winner.

Same. My grandparents bred and showed BIS winning Pekingese in the 70's and they were as fully coated as this dog. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit, I'm prejudice and no devotee of big coats . . .but

Are you sure that's a dog and not something out of StarWars? I thought dogs had noses and legs :laugh:. Can't remember ever seeing a dog who didn't move at all in the joints when picked up. You'd almost think him a plush toy.

Seeing such an overdone representative of the breed winning the big national show makes it easier to understand why pedigree registrations are declining and animal rights organisations are gaining ground.

It is quite obvious that you have no knowledge of the history or purpose of this breed, or even seen an extension of the standard, yet are prepared to air your lack of knowledge to denigrate this breed.

The peke's history goes back centuries, he was not bred to course, or race, or retrieve, or fight. He was bred to be a companion, he was only allowed to be owned by royalty, he was cared for by eunuchs and slave girls. He is supposed to look exactly as Malachy looks. And he is not overdone. He is a pekinese. The owner did give some explanation of the standard, did you not hear that?

It is really sad for you that you cannot appreciate a wonderful example of a breed you don't own, and I have to wonder whether that is due to lack of eye.

Most of us don't need to know anything about pekes to see that this is a very very good dog - whatever breed.

Pedigree registrations declining and animal rights flourishing are certainly not helped by people such as you, who with demonstrably little knowledge are happy to criticize other breeds because you do not like them or understand them. Unfortunately that attitude hinders all breeds, including your own, which will also be for the chop when the chop comes.

If you don't like purebred dogs, and you obviously don't, get some other sort of dogs. If you don't like the way some dogs are bred, or how some dogs look, put your money where your mouth is and do it better yourself. Then come back and tell us all about it.

Pekes are great in the ring with their lovely roll - but not if you have a breed "behind" them. :laugh:

I thought the BIS line up at this year's Westminster was one of the best I've seen in years. Any one of them deserved to win. That little Peke strutted his stuff and he knew he was a star!!! LOVED the Doberman as well, she was beautiful. The free stack the GSD did when he came back off his out and back gave me chills.

It really is a wonderful show. LOVE WESTMINSTER!!!!

I thought the BIS line up at this year's Westminster was one of the best I've seen in years. Any one of them deserved to win. That little Peke strutted his stuff and he knew he was a star!!! LOVED the Doberman as well, she was beautiful. The free stack the GSD did when he came back off his out and back gave me chills.

It really is a wonderful show. LOVE WESTMINSTER!!!!

The BIS line was very impressive, super line up. :thumbsup:

There's a wonderful heritage left by the Dowager Empress T'zu Hsi (of China, of course). She wrote a description of what Pekinese dogs should be like ( & why) ...because they were much loved & admired members of her court. Her description would fit Malachy.

It starts off:

"Let the Lion Dog be small, let it wear

the swelling cape of dignity around its neck, let it

display the billowing standard of pomp over its back.

Let its face be black, let its forefront be shaggy,

let its forehead be straight and low, like unto

the brow of an Imperial harmony boxer.

For its colour let it be that of a lion,a

golden sable, to be carried in the sleeve of a yellow

robe, or the colour of a red bear, or striped like

a dragon, so that there may be dogs appropriate to

every costume in the Imperial wardrobe.

Let it be taught to refrain from gadding about,

let it comfort itself with the dignity of a Duchess.

Let it learn to instantly bite the foreign devils!

Let it wash its face like a cat with its paws,

let it be dainty in its food, that it shall be known

for a Royal and Imperial dog by its fastidiousness.

Let its eyes be large and luminous

let its ears be set like the sails of a war junk,

let its nose be like that of the Monkey God of the Hindu.

Let its forelegs be bent so that it shall not desire

to wander far or leave the Imperial precincts.

Let its body be shaped like that of a hunting

lion spying for prey.

Let its feet be tufted with plentiful hair that

its footfalls may be noiseless, and for its standard

of pomp, let it rival the whisk of the Tibetan yak,

which is flourished to protect the Imperial

litter from the attack of flying insects.

Let it be lively that it may afford

entertainment by its gambols,

let it be wary that it may not involve itself in

danger, let it be sociable in its habits, that it

may live in amity with the other beasts, fishes or

birds that find protection in the Imperial Palace.

..."

Edited by mita

I have always loved that description (standard) - there is a reason for everything. Much more romantic than the pre 1987 standards for other breeds!!

I also love that the slave girls produced milk for them and they ate swallows' tongues and all manner of exotic things.

I guess the Eunuchs could understand and apply the standard to their breeding efforts. They did the breeding and care.

Edited by Jed

One of the things on my bucket list is to attend Westminster and Montgomery County....so much to watch and learn.

There is no show on earth quite like it. Honestly the excitement when group judging is on is something to experience. It's like being at a rock concert!!! I try to go as often as I can. Hopefully next year will be my next visit to NYC

lovely dachs, wonderful deep keel, and very good layback of shoulder.

I loved the way that Malachy kept checking with Dad that he was doing i right, and he was so confident.

I would love that Irish to show, she was great and she grinned all the way around because she as so happy.

All wonderfully trained dogs, all looking as if they just loved it.

That's exactly what I thought too Jed! They were just lovely, and all having a great time.

Did you guys see the scuffle behind the officials at the start when they were announcing the judge? Looked like two young ladies trying to jump in with signs, they were tackled and removed... I wondered if t may have been a Peta or similar protest?

What happened to the famed Aussie tall poppy syndrome. Is it not ok to question a dog that wins?

I understand why you showie folks are so defensive. You subscribe to a tradition that has a lot to answer for. The Peke is on par with the pug in terms of brachycephalic health concerns. The breed as shown in modern shows has little to do with the original breed. . . . no question that competition has warped the breed to a less healthy conformation.

post-8994-0-71034200-1329499082_thumb.jpg

Above is Lootie, one of the original Pekingese dogs taken from the 1860 British raid of the Chinese Summer Palaces in Beijing. Lootie was given to Queen Victoria as a gift. Note: Lootie (name reflects being looted from the Summer Palace) has short, but not collapsed, muzzle, and moderate legs and coat.

Below are three Pekes form a leading UK Peke breeder in 1899.

post-8994-0-00717300-1329502296_thumb.jpg

What has the show fancy done to this breed?

If the charismatic little furball that won Wesminster this year is the apex of the showing world, it simply reinforces my . . . and many other people's . . . disgust for the health-decimating selective pressures imposed by show breeding.

Pedigrees are great. Careful breeding is wonderful. Breeding for some sort of charisma that revolves around 'cuteness' and ignores health is absolute rubbish.

I'm just as happy to attack the animal rights mafia as the showie mafia. Both are corrupt.

Ok, hide your heads in the sand, or shoot the messanger. But show-based breeding has a lot to answer for, and H$U$ is going to continue its gains until pedigree breeders put more weight on health and function of dogs in society.

btw. to follow another stream of comments on this story go to

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/qualzucht-wins-big-at-westminster/#comments

Edited by sandgrubber