Pet Groomer 'glued Ear Back On Dog'

Maxiewolf

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8420870/pet-groomer-glued-ear-back-on-dog

A Hawaiian woman is suing a pet grooming business that allegedly cut a piece off her dog then tried to glue it back on.

Gladys Kapuwai, from the island Oahu, said she took her granddaughter's Pomeranian-Maltese mix Dodo to Kaneohe groomer Petco in July last year, Hawaii News Now reports.

It was only later that Ms Kapuwai realised one of the dog's ears had been cut.

"(It) was dried, bloody, was dry blood, everything," she said.

"I noticed that at home, so when I took her to the vet, the doctor had told me it looked like they tried to glue it back.

"I couldn't believe what they did.

"I started crying because this is our baby, too, you know."

Ms Kapuawi's lawyer Michael Green's wife is also suing the grooming business.

Mr Green said something similar had happened to his wife’s dog and she was claiming emotional distress.

"The nails are bleeding because they were cut too short, the dog was filthy and the tip of the dog's tail was cut off," Mr Green said.

"The people at Petco didn't seem overly concerned about that.

"My dog, they offered another free grooming.

"I guess they wanted to take off other body parts."

A spokesperson for Petco Kaneohe did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Edited - Used wrong tags, And in the video, the dog was still filthy? Nails Bleeding? and The tip of its tail cut off!??! Poor Dog and DOUBLE :eek:

:eek:

Edited by Maxiewolf

Can't help but wonder if this has been sensationalised a bit?

Vetbond glue is often used for little nicks and cuts. I wonder if the ear was nicked and glue used, but they're using the works 'glued back on' to beat up the story? Ears bleed like a stuck pig - anyone who's had a tiny split in their dogs ear flap knows what I'm talking about - they just keep on bleeding. Orbit's split the tip of his ear once and we used glue to a) stop the bleeding and b) try glue the split back together.

And really, bleeding nails really aren't a big deal? When nails aren't regularly trimmed, the quicks do grow longer and longer down the nail, making it impossible to trim the nails short.

I'm not saying I think it's fine to cut a dog whilst grooming, but surely it's not 'sue' worthy? People out to make some money perhaps?

Edited by stormie

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this one might be over blown.

Maybe it isn't but don't the media just love to scare the shite out of pet owners and other folk by madly scaremongering about folk we rely on.

You'd think if it was serious the dog would be at the vet and the ASPCA would be weighing in.

Oh well, at least its Petco and not some poor independent groomer that this would send broke defending.

Can't help but wonder if this has been sensationalised a bit?

Vetbond glue is often used for little nicks and cuts. I wonder if the ear was nicked and glue used, but they're using the works 'glued back on' to beat up the story? Ears bleed like a stuck pig - anyone who's had a tiny split in their dogs ear flap knows what I'm talking about - they just keep on bleeding. Orbit's split the tip of his ear once and we used glue to a) stop the bleeding and b) try glue the split back together.

And really, bleeding nails really aren't a big deal? When nails aren't regularly trimmed, the quicks do grow longer and longer down the nail, making it impossible to trim the nails short.

I'm not saying I think it's fine to cut a dog whilst grooming, but surely it's not 'sue' worthy? People out to make some money perhaps?

Sue Worthy? Dont forget it is in the USA, Im sure there is a rule there saying anyone can be sued for everything ;) . I got confused there but when you re read it... it says that the lawyers dog had the tail snipped etc at the same place... surprising that they hadnt already sued over that...

And tell me about the ears! I made the tinyiest little nic on a bedlingtons ear with a #30 and it bled so much I got into such a panic! it was gushing and the nic was so microscopic i could barely find out where to put the powder to stop it bleeding.... :eek:

This from the country that has more lawyers per capita.

I too think it's a beef up. Sad, it just gives trades a bad name. :(

I mean you don't know both sides of the story, perhaps the toenails were so overgrown the quick was down low and nails then can bleed easily too. And I'm thinking a glue for 'nicks' too. A friend of mine cut his hand badly on some secatuers and the emergency room glued his cut rather than stitch it.

Guest lavendergirl

I was watching Judge Judy yesterday and a lady was suing a groomer for $5,000 for emotional damage after she groomed her Bichon Frise too short. Judge Judy told her to bugger off and said the dogs hair would grow back.

Who sustained the emotional damage? The Bichon is probably enjoying its short back and sides :laugh:

I was watching Judge Judy yesterday and a lady was suing a groomer for $5,000 for emotional damage after she groomed her Bichon Frise too short. Judge Judy told her to bugger off and said the dogs hair would grow back.

Who sustained the emotional damage? The Bichon is probably enjoying its short back and sides :laugh:

ive seen some poodles with such dreadful "pet" clips i can see the dog is cringing and begging mummy to take me home im embarrassed... :rofl:

ive seen some poodles with such dreadful "pet" clips i can see the dog is cringing and begging mummy to take me home im embarrassed... :rofl:

Yep... I know those people, with their weird requests. Ive asked for photos to compare to to make sure they reeeeaaallly want their dog groomed in what strange way they ask... then i usually end with... "please dont tell people *I* did that..." :rofl:

Yep... I know those people, with their weird requests. Ive asked for photos to compare to to make sure they reeeeaaallly want their dog groomed in what strange way they ask... then i usually end with... "please dont tell people *I* did that..." :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: good one.

no in some of these cases. its because the groomers dont care about doing a good job. just a quick job. ie. same clippers all over so the legs look like pipe stems instead of nice pants. and the absolute HORRIBLE run the clippers above the eyes and chomp off almost half and inch AND then make the pom pom on the head out of what little is left.

they look permantly startled.

when i had my boy people would take one look and ask WHERE did you get yours done. I ended up with at times a dozen 'clients' begging to 'please do mine" and i learned from a book :eek:

although while i was learning, my poor dog spent large amounts of time refusing to go out in public.....he knew when id muffed it and he didnt have a mirror.

he took his cue from people laughing at him...and how he knew it wasnt "ooo how cute is that" search me... but he did.

:rofl: :rofl: good one.

no in some of these cases. its because the groomers dont care about doing a good job. just a quick job. ie. same clippers all over so the legs look like pipe stems instead of nice pants. and the absolute HORRIBLE run the clippers above the eyes and chomp off almost half and inch AND then make the pom pom on the head out of what little is left.

they look permantly startled.

when i had my boy people would take one look and ask WHERE did you get yours done. I ended up with at times a dozen 'clients' begging to 'please do mine" and i learned from a book :eek:

although while i was learning, my poor dog spent large amounts of time refusing to go out in public.....he knew when id muffed it and he didnt have a mirror.

he took his cue from people laughing at him...and how he knew it wasnt "ooo how cute is that" search me... but he did.

Most likely someone is being paid less than $10/hr for doing the work and gets no benefits. Big surprise. They do a quick and dirty job. If you want quality grooming, go to a groomer that is known by name, not some company that hires people off the street and gives them a few hours of training, and expect to pay for a pro job.