3 Needles For Pavo?

r8chl

Hi all, new to this forum, have a 3 month old puppy Took him to the vet today for his 2nd needle and the vet said that they are now recommending 3 vaccinations for puppies, apparently pavo is really bad in this area (Rockhampton QLD) has anyone else heard of the 3 vacc thing??

Edited by r8chl

Different vets have different procedures, but I personally prefer to vaccinate puppies at 16-18 weeks.

Perhaps you should call several vets in your area, and see if they all recommend a vaccine at 16 weeks or if your vet is exceptional. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

I wouldnt be telling people he's an American Pity, especially up that way..hope you have papers and are well aware of the BSL.

(not flaming, just putting it out there for the OP)

On the other hand, many vets recommend 3 puppy vaccinations. Just got with what you feel comfortable with.

The reasoning behind having the three vaccinations:

Pups are born with Maternal Antibodies (MAB) - this will protect pup in the early stages.

Depending on the health and immunity of the bitch and pups will depend upon the timing that the MAB last within the pups system. At some time between 8 weeks and 16 weeks the MAB will drop out, however we dont know unless we titre test the pup and this is expensive. If the pups MAB is still high then the 8 week injection may be counteracted, the same applies to the 12 week injection. This may be the reason that some puppies around 5-6 months or so, have had parvo even tho the owners may have had them vaccinated.

In those cases perhaps the MAB was high at the 12 week and rendered the vaccine useless.

Research has indicated that by 16 weeks the MAB has gone - (therefore as a precaution) having a vaccination at this point should be pretty definate to provide the pup with the new antibodies to protect against these diseases. Then the recommendation is to have a top up at about 14-16 months and then every three years after.

Hope this helps

Pups are born with Maternal Antibodies (MAB) - this will protect pup in the early stages.

Depending on the health and immunity of the bitch and pups will depend upon the timing that the MAB last within the pups system. At some time between 8 weeks and 16 weeks the MAB will drop out, however we dont know unless we titre test the pup and this is expensive. If the pups MAB is still high then the 8 week injection may be counteracted, the same applies to the 12 week injection. This may be the reason that some puppies around 5-6 months or so, have had parvo even tho the owners may have had them vaccinated.

In those cases perhaps the MAB was high at the 12 week and rendered the vaccine useless.

Research has indicated that by 16 weeks the MAB has gone - (therefore as a precaution) having a vaccination at this point should be pretty definate to provide the pup with the new antibodies to protect against these diseases. Then the recommendation is to have a top up at about 14-16 months and then every three years after.

Hope this helps

I wonder about the 3 yearly vaccine, breeders have told me every 3 years but vets always argue that with me. I have a ragdoll cat also which is strictly an indoor cat and the vet pretty much had a go at me for not vacc yearly some boarding places also wont take her cause of not vacc yearly.

I wonder about the 3 yearly vaccine, breeders have told me every 3 years but vets always argue that with me.

Ask the vet what their protocol is and why. Only certain vaccines are registered for tri-annual use. My previous clinic offered annual vaccines only due to being in a high-risk parvo area, my current clinic stocks both annual and tri-annual vaccines so clients have the choice.

Guest lavendergirl

Hope this helps

I wonder about the 3 yearly vaccine, breeders have told me every 3 years but vets always argue that with me. I have a ragdoll cat also which is strictly an indoor cat and the vet pretty much had a go at me for not vacc yearly some boarding places also wont take her cause of not vacc yearly.

This can be a real problem. If you will need to board your dog regularly in future be aware that the vast majority of kennels want proof of yearly vaccination. This is despite the national vet guidelines which now recommend 3 yearly vacs.

Hope this helps

I have a mini schnauzer who is now 3 1/2 years old. He hasn't been vaccinated since he had his puppy booster. I have now decided to have him titred and he has been tested as having sufficient immunity for the past two years. I am also very wary of having a 12 month heartworm vaccination. I would rather give him the monthly chew.