Kid Thrown In At The Deep End @ The Royal

Eija

The problem is – 1st show for a young boy & his new dog. He won’t be physically able to lift the dog onto the table for judging. What’s the solution? Is it possible to have the dog judged on the ground? And if so, how does one communicate this to Steward and/or Judge beforehand?

The kid’s enthusiastic, proud & willing to learn. He just needs a little consideration & understanding whilst he grows some muscles. Experts, this kid needs your idea's...

Maybe enter a show before the Royal for experience. A Royal, especially Sydney, is huge for anyone let alone a young new exhibitor.

Thank you for your reply. But, the problem is really the size differential between boy & dog & height of table(set up for adults). That won’t change now no matter how many shows the kid goes to before The Royal. But, I do agree about gaining experience at smaller shows…Parent’s what can I say. I’m just an uncle trying to help.

The problem is – 1st show for a young boy & his new dog. He won't be physically able to lift the dog onto the table for judging. What's the solution? Is it possible to have the dog judged on the ground? And if so, how does one communicate this to Steward and/or Judge beforehand?

The kid's enthusiastic, proud & willing to learn. He just needs a little consideration & understanding whilst he grows some muscles. Experts, this kid needs your idea's...

Could be a little tricky at a Royal... however a country show you could possibly get away with it... and though not typical of ring ettiquette... I have in the past seen on a few occasions a physically handicaped young lady (she had no arms and her hands just kinda attached to her shoulders) showing her beloved Fox Terrier. Some one else used to go into the ring with her and lift the dog on & off the table.. whether this was a family member or another exhibitor, I do not know... a family member would have to be a member of ANKC in order to go into the ring... even it if is only to lift the dog onto the table, (I am assuming). One of the last times I saw this exhibitor the dog jumped up onto the table by it's self.. which is also not common place in the ring...after that, maybe it was deemed that it was too dangerous for the dog to be jumping up onto a table and jumping off, I saw this young lady, the judge was examining the dog on the ground and not on the table... was obvioulsy made permisable for this particular exhibitor which was so nice to see.

I would approach the ring steward and explain the situation, so that the ring steward can then relay the information to the judge and have someone go in to the ring and lift the dog onto & off the table.. or ask the steward if they would mind asking the judge if they would mind, either someone lifting the dog on & off the table or if they would prefer to judge the dog on the ground... ... but at a Royal... mmm not sure I would be so keen to try.

Also, whilst it is great that the child is very keen, there are junior handler classes for the kids which are a great learning experience for them... also bare in mind that you may be met with some prejudice... such as if the child is not strong enough to lift the dog onto the table etc, they should not be in charge of a dog... until they are strong and big enough.. and if this occurs, it probably should not be taken personally as I would imagine those opposed to a child handling a dog that they can not physically lift onto the table would be more concerned about the safety aspect of the child, the dog and others.

Edited by Abilene

How old is the child and how old is the dog... in the toy ring we don't normally let dogs jump onto table, but I have seen some in the terrier ring... if the dog is still young , I don't think i would want him/her jumping on or off the table... but I am assuming the dog is a full grown adult if the child cannot lift it.

Edited by Abilene

How old is the child and how old is the dog... in the toy ring we don't normally let dogs jump onto table, but I have seen some in the terrier ring... if the dog is still young , I don't think i would want him/her jumping on or off the table... but I am assuming the dog is a full grown adult if the child cannot lift it.

Theres a lady in Melbourne who's great nephew shows a Westie. Great aunt takes a fold up step into the ring when it is nephews turn, and he stands on the step to lift his dog onto the table.

Theres a lady in Melbourne who's great nephew shows a Westie. Great aunt takes a fold up step into the ring when it is nephews turn, and he stands on the step to lift his dog onto the table.

A step won't help if the muscles are lacking...although, maybe a set of stepstairs carried into the ring and the dog trained beforehand to use them to mount to the table? You would definitely need to get advance permission from the convenor at the Royal to do this.

Get the boy and dog to as many shows as possible beforehand (even if not entered) for ring practice and junior handlers.

You know what, at the end of the day it iis up to the judge and the steward. You need to approach the ring steward and tell them the situation. There are times when things are allowable. When I was 8.5 months pregnant, I had a person waiting to lift my dog on the table, she stepped into the ring, lifted dog and steped out. Same again for off table.

It can be done. just ask in advance for a royal (perhaps an email?) and then on the day talk to your ring steward BEFORE the judging commences.

I would speak to the steward and ask if an adult can lift the dog on and off the table.

It pays to remember that this is not Junior Handlers and that the dog must be judged on the table if it is a tabled breed - as must all others. If no concession about lifting is given, then someone else must show the dog. Technically, a person assisting could be considered double handling and I can understand why you might be denied a second handler for the dog.

If the word from the steward is 'no' then someone capable of physically lifting the dog must show it in its class. However, once judged in its class, if it wins, it will not be tabled for challenge or for Class in Group. So your son could handle that.

I hope your son has had plenty of intruction and practice. A Royal isn't what I'd call a low pressure start to a showing experience and he will need to remember that its the dog being judged, not his handling.

Edited by Telida Whippets

My 7 year old daughter shows her own cocker spaniel, she's not strong enough to lift her up on the table yet, another 12 months and she'll be right. She can lift her down. When we give the steward our numbers l inform them the junior bitch is being handled by a junior and will need a lift on then when called for her class, l ask the steward if they would like me to lift the dog on the table. l've never had a steward ask me to do it or been refuse, they just pop her up and my daughter stacks her. My other daughter started showing her cocker at 8 years and he would put his front feet on the table and look behind waiting to he lifted up. Now she's big enough to lift him herself.

There are many juniors that get heavy dogs on the table & it isn't so much about muscles but actually being taught how to lift the dog correctly .

If Mel;b royal is the show then there really is plenty of time to get a technique happening unless the dog is so unco operative .

But you can ceratinly ask the steward whether you or someone can lift the dog there have certainly been runners used at Melb royal so there shouldn't be to much of a drama

im with showdog i have seen people use runners as well so i think they are flexible but i would find out before u get there so u have a back up handler! i personally dont see how it affects the showing of the dog at all... i think its fair if the steward lifts the dog, if another handler does it i can see it may cause issues with people saying they wanted to get their face in do the judge knew it was one of theirs or some rubbish... but if the steward does it i really dont see how it affects anything the judge can see the kid isnt strong enough to lift the dog, good luck and let us know if they allow it!

When this young lad showed at the royal last year the steward put the stool at the table for him and lifted

the westie on to the table. When the judge had finished going over the dog he lifted it off for the young man and

they were off round the ring. It was great to see such help and support for him.

There are many juniors that get heavy dogs on the table & it isn't so much about muscles but actually being taught how to lift the dog correctly .

If Mel;b royal is the show then there really is plenty of time to get a technique happening unless the dog is so unco operative .

But you can ceratinly ask the steward whether you or someone can lift the dog there have certainly been runners used at Melb royal so there shouldn't be to much of a drama

THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE! You have given me several ideas that I wouldn’t have thought of. The young boy will be showing a Skye at the Sydney Royal. And with all your generous advice the lad should have a great big smile on his face @ his 1st show.

If I could indulge a little more – What is the correct way to lift a dog? The obvious comes to mind…straight back, bend the knees etc. What else?

Dog is cooperative & tries very hard to please. Would probably jump onto the table if asked(but as already pointed out this is a no-no).