New Puppy Night Howling

Zitchdog

if you're just in SA .. IMO it is not cold enough at present to need a hot water bottle .. he is possible too warm .(also hot water bottles, if chewed, can burn a pup.. and /or make a BIG mess , also are dangerous if pup swallows bits ;)

Pups & soft crates are not a really good mix ..as they can chew out of them , or scratch them to death :(

also, be careful what you feed as treats .. too many fatty things like cheese spread/peanut butter may make them a bit upset in the tummy ....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Elbie howled like a banshee the first few nights we got him. We eventually got him to stop by putting the crate up next to our bed and sticking our fingertips into the crate and letting him have sniffing access to our hands. Then the crate was moved to the ground, then further away - eventually to the kitchen. I had a horrible first week but if you survive the first week, it goes well after that :laugh:

We toileted Elbie every 2 hours when we first got him, then every four. Hoover our second dog was easier to toilet train - i.e. we got to the "sleep peacefully overnight" thing quite quickly.

I love How I Met Your Mother and also the name Zitch but I don't remember that episode! Will keep an eye out for it.

You're getting all sorts of advice here, my main advice is to have your pup sleep where you want him to sleep in future, ensure he is not in pain, too hot or too cold and then ignore ignore ignore!

My first puppy (now 2.5 yrs) slept in the bathroom them the laundry with a soft bed on a piece of carpet, an oil heater in cold weather and a puppy pee pad. My second puppy (now 10 months) slept in a soft crate in my room but with side of the crate open and access to the ensuite with puppy pee pad. Third pup (now 3 months) is in the crate in my room, one toilet break about 4am when she fidgeted for the first 2 weeks, since then she has held on until morning.

All different methods, all were completely fine and all are great sleepers now!

Crying/whinging from any of them was completely ignored - do whatever you need to do, ear plugs, fan for white noise, whatever. And don't feel guilty, he can't hurt himself by whinging and even after the few days you've had him, if he does get hurt you will most likely hear the difference in the noise he makes. I know the whinging can go for hours and hours, I actually think they get in a bit of a trance where they are actually half asleep but just keep making the noise... Then if we respond after however long their brain goes "oh, that wasn't so hard and I got my way in the end!l"

I definitely agree with keeping them awake as late as possible, mine have always hung out around me until I go to bed so they don't properly settle to sleep until I do and by then they are tired, which I'm sure helps.

Good luck, you sound like great owners and you will get there, just try not to stress :)

Hi and welcome, i too had my puppy screaming the house down for the first few night and we too tried everything! Like KTB I put the crate beside the bed and hung my arm over the side of the bed till he settled, he still sleeps in the crate now 4 years later. I also have 3 other dogs that were never crated and I never had a problem with at night, they all slept like babies so it was a bit of a shock to the system for number 4 to be so unsettled at night. Good luck with your pup, I'd love to see more photos, he looks adorable!

edited to add once crated Bronson only cried once through the night for a toilet stop only for about 3 weeks ever since he has had a bladder of steel. :laugh:

Edited by tlc

Like Tlc and KTB I ended up putting the crate right next to my bed and hanging my arm over the side too so Ella could touch my hands :laugh: It worked really well, after a few nights I got my arm back and then after a couple more nights we slowly moved her further away until she was out of the bedroom. Nearly 2 years later she still sleeps in a crate happily.

I did get up a couple of times in the night to toilet her outside, kept everything dim and not talking to her we headed outside on lead where I taught her to toilet on command.

She was smart and knew she got a treat for toileting so learnt to squat 3 times for a wee for 3 treats ;)

Wishing you the best of luck and a good night's sleep really soon, it will all be worth it :)

Edited by Tobster

Thanks everyone! Very pleased to report we had a better night last night! 5th night, 3rd in laundry, no radio or light, a luke warm water bottle wih a clock a cover and wrapped in my husband's shirt and a treat and a chew. However I think what did the trick was that when I zipped him up, I sat there for 10 or so minutes only saying shhh every now and again until he settled. He was a bit whimpery and wriggly still but nothing like earlier. I gradually eased myself out (leaving my stinky ugg boots at the door lol) and closed the door and went to bed. He may have started crying but I didn't hear it. Husband got up to toilet him at 1am and he wasn't crying and didnt pee but wad very upset at being put back in. I got up at 4am and he wasn't crying, did pee after 5 mins, cried at being put back til I gave him a treat and snuck out. He was however crying at 6.30 when we got up and I don't know how long that had been going on. Vast improvement however! Yay!

Oh Zitch is stunning! :love:

So glad to hear things have settled down! The first few nights can be tough, and there are plenty of people here that can share their experience. :wave:

Looking forward to watching Zitch grow up.

I spoke too soon... Last two nights have been evenly split between crying and not right up until the 3am ish toilet. After that he is not interested in sleep and howls and thrashes about for a good 3 hours til we get up at 6.

He also clearly knew that I had said the k9 crate was indestructible because last night he clawed and bit his way through until the zip tore away from the fabric and he could escape. What the hell do we do now?

He also clearly knew that I had said the k9 crate was indestructible because last night he clawed and bit his way through until the zip tore away from the fabric and he could escape. What the hell do we do now?

Start with buying a proper crate. Are you doing any crate training with him, or just sticking him in and expecting him to love it?

Are you really wearing him out with excercise/intense play before bed? How much sleep does he get during the day?

edited to add: do you give him something to sleep with that had your scent on it? I do pyjama tops with my pup - so I wear a PJ top for two nights, then pup gets it for a few nights. Then I wash it, and give her the one I wore I for the last few nights. I bought a whole bunch of tshirts from an op-shop just for that purpose, in case she decided to trash them, which she doesn't.

You can also get a spray that's called "DAP" (dog appeasing pheramone) which is designed to calm them a bit. I've never used it so can't comment, but it might be worth looking into?

Edited by minimax

Here are some ideas:

* Get a wire or hard plastic crate

* Feed him in his crate

* Put him in his crate for short periods during the day with treats

* Put treats in the crate randomly so he will find one any time he wanders in on his own

* You can shape him going into the crate

* Don't ever let him out if he is crying/barking

* Cover the crate when you want him to rest

Sorry, sounds like you are having a rough time with it :( I would never recommend a soft crate for a puppy or destructive type dog. Even though mine aren't destructive any more I would never use one as I don't trust them - other dogs could break into it if determined even if yours wouldn't leave, and dogs can move them from inside.

So you tried shaping going into the crate? Have you had a look at Crate Games?