I Don"t Care Im Saying It

Guest muttrus

Guest muttrus

OK I know many if not all of you have a policy to say you will take back a dog at any time for whatever reason BUT you cannot tell me it doesn't get under your skin and really pee you off with some cases.

I just recieved an e-mail threatening me with the old I DON'T WANT HIM PUT TO SLEEP phrase.they asked if I would take back a dog because they want him to go to a better home as he dug a hole killed a chook and didn't like a small dog at the DOG PARK .

NOW while Im sure you maybe thinking yes take the dog back because these people are clearly idoits and while I agree they are idoits but at what point do we as rescue stop being used as a scape goat and have the guilt factor because its easier for them.

(yes I take back dogs for reasons of truth and need)

So what if he dug a hole he"s a dog killed a chook yes sad but don'"t have free range chooks if you know the dog will chase them didn"t like a little dog at dog park --walk some where else all solveable so To me whats the real reason ? I don"t mind saying Im sick of people not taking responsability as dog owners ---No pet shop would take the dog back AND I know some people count on rescue taking the dog back some even do it more than once getting puppies and as we know a puppy grows up.

I told the people while Im happy to help Im full therefore Id do everything to rehome the once puppy NOW dog but Id have to be honest with anyone wanting to adopt him and I couldn't give a time frame.

I must say my email was nicer than this rant but I also did put in there should they want him dead then them as his owners MUST man up and hold his paw as they watch him die most certainly change their tune ------------Before anyone wants to bite my head off think back over the years and tell me honestly you haven"t thought the same way.

Ive heard everything from ---my friends don't like my dog because its not a pure bred ,I don"t have time,the dog barked etc Ive spoken with people before during and after adoption Ive done checks etc If only I have a crystal ball that detects #%@^&%$#@@#$%^&&***^%^%$## then I wouldn"t be writing this now .

I think that sometimes people have ever so slightly unrealistic expectations of what "their" dog will be like, while not actually wanting to put in the time and work to make him that way.

I'm wondering OP, if they have ever had a dog before as I don't think that there are many of us here who can claim that their dog never destroyed anything/barked/howled/dug/annoyed them/embarrassed them while it was still in that goofy young dog phase. It's a shame that these people aren't willing to persevere a little bit longer.

Guest muttrus

I think that sometimes people have ever so slightly unrealistic expectations of what "their" dog will be like, while not actually wanting to put in the time and work to make him that way.

I'm wondering OP, if they have ever had a dog before as I don't think that there are many of us here who can claim that their dog never destroyed anything/barked/howled/dug/annoyed them/embarrassed them while it was still in that goofy young dog phase. It's a shame that these people aren't willing to persevere a little bit longer.

before adoption they claimed they had owned dogs I read and just re-read their email and it reads to me that the dog no-longer fits into their lifestyle.They state he is a good dog but when walks off leash he runs ,they don't want their 6 month old baby crawling around the dog now that he has killed the chook but then go on to say he is great with their friends dogs and loves the kids and would be suitable for a FARM !!!!

Firstly before your dog walks off leash it should come back when you call it or don't risk it in areas with unknown things cars etc and NO child regardless of age should be left with a dog anyway then to say they were worried because he killed a chook then suggest he go to a farm---------come on

She also went on to say it was hard to walk him and the baby so there it is in a nut shell all very common easy fix problems IF she wanted to.

These are the reasons that piss me off all their problems and mostly thier lack of upbringing now they want me to not only fix them but to suggest others take them on .because they can't be bothered

I guess if it was me I'd take the dog back to rehome.. Hopefully with some manners..

I'd feel like I was letting the dog down to leave it in an unwanted home.. Just my personal opinion..

I did take back a dog who left as a puppy and he rehomed quite easily.. He was always a lovely pup and I knew he could do better.. I DIDNT refund any money and even asked for a donation towards finding him a home.. His vet work had all been completed so apart from daily care he didnt cost me anything..

In the interest of your rescue group I believe an offer of some sort would make for good publicity.. something we all need..

What type of dog is it and would it be rehomable ?

It happens, we rehomed a beautiful German Shepherd to a home they already had another GS and it seemed an absolute perfect forever home, but the neighbours chook flew over into the yard and she killed it, they immediately got onto us and wanted her gone.

Unfortunately you cannot legislate for stupidity and as more and more people turn to growing their own veggies and raising chooks, it gives them another reason to return dogs because they kill chickens - I hear it frequently these days, doesn't matter if they've had the dog for years. Even when I point out that it is a ridiculous expecation they appear unable or unwilling to accept that.

No matter what the reason is I'd always be happy to take the dog back because they obviously don't care for it in the way I'd expect an owner should.

Some rescue groups don't take dogs back and sometimes people don't ask them. I know that this often ends badly for the dogs.

Sometimes people end up in a different relationship and the new partner wants the dog kept outside - I'd rather the dog went back for rehoming in those cases but again, it doesn't happen and the dog ends its days in misery.

Edited by dogmad

Heres a story to cheer you up Muttsrus! Last week, there had been heavy rain for days and Kenny my Pharaoh had been cooped up either inside or his run for days.A break in the weather came so off in the yard he went . . Half an hour went by and all was very quiet so I went to look and Kenny came running to me all Wigglybum but sort of looking guilty and he had a branch stuck on his head.I noticed his mouth was bulging so I yelled DROP IT! It was a warm fluffy baby sparrow.DEAD! For some insane hormonal reason,I started crying for this helpless little bird and got a shovel to bury it.Now I am no cryer but here I am sobbing over a dead sparrow in what is now steady rain and Kenya is hiding behind a tree looking at me like I am a FREAK!

Anyway,I guess this means I will have to rehome Kenny as he is a murdering sparrow hunter :rofl:

In regards to these people . . I couldnt live with myself if I didnt take the dog back.If they dont want it,I would fear where it will end up . . .a pound or palmed off as a freebie and so on and so on.But you can only do what is right for your situation.

OK I know many if not all of you have a policy to say you will take back a dog at any time for whatever reason BUT you cannot tell me it doesn't get under your skin and really pee you off with some cases.

I just recieved an e-mail threatening me with the old I DON'T WANT HIM PUT TO SLEEP phrase.they asked if I would take back a dog because they want him to go to a better home as he dug a hole killed a chook and didn't like a small dog at the DOG PARK .

NOW while Im sure you maybe thinking yes take the dog back because these people are clearly idoits and while I agree they are idoits but at what point do we as rescue stop being used as a scape goat and have the guilt factor because its easier for them.

(yes I take back dogs for reasons of truth and need)

So what if he dug a hole he"s a dog killed a chook yes sad but don'"t have free range chooks if you know the dog will chase them didn"t like a little dog at dog park --walk some where else all solveable so To me whats the real reason ? I don"t mind saying Im sick of people not taking responsability as dog owners ---No pet shop would take the dog back AND I know some people count on rescue taking the dog back some even do it more than once getting puppies and as we know a puppy grows up.

I told the people while Im happy to help Im full therefore Id do everything to rehome the once puppy NOW dog but Id have to be honest with anyone wanting to adopt him and I couldn't give a time frame.

I must say my email was nicer than this rant but I also did put in there should they want him dead then them as his owners MUST man up and hold his paw as they watch him die most certainly change their tune ------------Before anyone wants to bite my head off think back over the years and tell me honestly you haven"t thought the same way.

Ive heard everything from ---my friends don't like my dog because its not a pure bred ,I don"t have time,the dog barked etc Ive spoken with people before during and after adoption Ive done checks etc If only I have a crystal ball that detects #%@^&%$#@@#$%^&&***^%^%$## then I wouldn"t be writing this now .

wow only dug A hole what a wonderful dog I wish mine had only dug a hole or 2, and no way would I trust him with chooks ( he is a cocker and you can tell he was ment to get birds). Yer you can't help stupid people I hope this dog finds a lovely home.