Family Pets

sandy2

Hello,

We are looking for the right dog to add as a new family member but it has to be the right choice. Ideally it will need to be a dog for a small back yard, one that gets along to an extent with chickens and ducks (these are penned), a large backyard aviary, a neighbour who doesn't like noisy dogs and a dog that isn't going to dig up our veggies or try to escape. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Our children are 12 and 10 and would love to have a dog though it will also have to be low maintenace. We also are aware that doggie training is a must to help with any of these issues.

Many thanks!!!!

I'll suggest a Cavalier King Charles - they are my favorite after Border Collies :) I've never owner a Cavalier, but my mum has had two, when we were kids. They were fine with the chickens and great with us kids!

At the moment we've got a little jack russel x, and she gets along fine with the chickens, simply because she was raised with them from 7wks old, and knew that they were off limits from the start.

Good luck on your puppy search! :)

Good for you in doing some research!! :thumbsup::) Unfortunately, dogs don't normally come pre programmed to not dig, not bark, etc.

All those things are things which the humans educate the puppies in .... most dogs will dig/bark/run/show interest in chooks/birds, and it is up to teh owners to understand what is happening , why it happens, and how to re direct the behaviour :)

To help understand your circumstances a bit more....

What do you call "Low" maintenance?

Where will dog be sleeping?

How long will dog be trained/walked each day?

Edited by persephone

Wow! Thank you so much everyone for your replies......I really do appreciate them....I don't mind the dog being inside as long as it doesn't shed too much. By low maintenance I mean a breed of dog that doesn't have a lot of health issues...I remember we had a rotty when i was growing up and it was very sad to put him down at such a young age due to hip problems......By low maintence I also mean one that doesn't have to be brushed every day and walked every day. I am at home most of the time so we would be company for one another.

I understand how important training a dog is but I see on some web sites that certain breeds of dogs have natural tendancies towards certain issues such as digging, barking, etc

Hi Sandy2,

I think, given your criteria, that terriers would be a no go zone.

Some ideas: - powder puff; smooth coat griffon; french bulldog, purebred maltese, bichon frise, affenpincher, minature/toy poodle.

Keep in mind, low maintenance does not really exist. Its more pet vs show dog which can be massive maintenance. For pets, you keep the coats clipped down(either a groomer or a nice sharp pair of scissors or clippers) keeps things nice and manageable. All dogs really do need regular brushing, it also allows you to check for grass seeds, suspicious lumps cuts and bumps etc.

Noise and escapeology and chasing - very strong instincts in terriers, noise can be a problem in dogs that were bred for watchdogs but basically every dog is different, which is why you need to tell the breeder you like what your requirements are. Training is also a strong factor and the ground rules need to be set in place from day one.

Do have a look at the french bulldog - they are a seriously lovely and fun dog to have around. There's a breed thread in the subforum at the top of the page.

I agree with the above - terriers would be a no no no...

in terms of other options, an older cavie might be ok, but not a young one - as they were bred originally as spaniels they tend to love chasing birds - mine are obsessed with it, even ones just flying by, one girl even points.

Other than that, in relation to your non-shedding, and less exercise request, and not needing to be brushed everyday maybe something shortcoated (i have recently started to love italian greyhounds, but not sure if there temperament would stand up to it!) or other than that maybe a pug! they make great family pets!

I have bred shown and owned Frenchies for almost 30 years, they are a wonderful little dog to have as a companion, they love children are low maintenance, one from a reputable breeder seldom have health issues and they are dogs that do not bark for the sake of it, only when there is someone knocking at the door will they bark, and even then not all the time, they look at me as much to say well are you going to answer it or not?

A word of warning though, the one thing that I impress upon people who are enquiring after a puppy, that they are indoor dogs especially when it is hot, they must be kept in air conditioning, I even have the ducting in my laundry, as they are very susceptable to heat stroke, and they can die very quickly.

They are not cheap to purchase, just to warn you that they are on the expensive side.

Guest donatella

Wow! Thank you so much everyone for your replies......I really do appreciate them....I don't mind the dog being inside as long as it doesn't shed too much. By low maintenance I mean a breed of dog that doesn't have a lot of health issues...I remember we had a rotty when i was growing up and it was very sad to put him down at such a young age due to hip problems......By low maintence I also mean one that doesn't have to be brushed every day and walked every day. I am at home most of the time so we would be company for one another.

I understand how important training a dog is but I see on some web sites that certain breeds of dogs have natural tendancies towards certain issues such as digging, barking, etc

what about a Spitz breed, they dont shed too much, dont have that 'dog smell' and many just need a good brush every few days but thats about as much grooming as they need. there are plenty of spitz breeds to chose from (i should also note they're the prettiest dogs hehe)

what about a Spitz breed, they dont shed too much, dont have that 'dog smell' and many just need a good brush every few days but thats about as much grooming as they need. there are plenty of spitz breeds to chose from (i should also note they're the prettiest dogs hehe)

Spitzes don't shed? I should tell the samoyed down the street, he must have missed the memo :laugh: