Help!

deghj

Cat crunchies are a favourite treat of most dogs and once they taste 'em...YUMMO, there is no turning back!

The best thing is to put the kitty litter tray in a room that only the cats have access to. :)

Yes, I am surprised it has taken this long :laugh: . Kitty crunchies and dogs - a very common thing.

I have a baby gate across our laundry door where the litter tray is. Cats can go in, but the dog can't.

Doesnt stop them finding them outside though or even following the 'kitty crunchy dispenser' around the yard hoping for a treat!! :eek: :laugh:

In that case I have this great doggy mouth spray..... ;)

Well I trained him to stay away from the tray so he doesn't touch that. But I have a kitten that I think was taken away from her mum a bit early and she persists in having accidents. He finds them before I can even grab him. He's never shown any tendency to eat it before now even with kitten accidents.

Sounds like you trained him to stay away from the tray - not cat poop in general.

Dogs are situational learners which means that what they learn may be relevant only to particular environments and situations and they don't tend to 'generalise' unless you specifically generalise the training.

he's a good boy. i love the leave it command. best thing i ever learnt (to teach him) i'll just have to find the poop before he does. does anyone know why cat poop is apparently so attractive to dogs?

he's a good boy. i love the leave it command. best thing i ever learnt (to teach him) i'll just have to find the poop before he does. does anyone know why cat poop is apparently so attractive to dogs?

Most poop is attractive to dogs, remember that dogs are scavengers by nature, anything that smells good will be eaten. My dogs will eat horse, cow (the fresher the better), cat and possum poo, but their absolute favorite is human (occasionally found in the park we go to after the loos are closed :laugh:).

Cats process amino acids in a unique way, thus they have a higher dietary protein requirement and their poo tends to be higher in protein as well. Very attractive free feed for dogs :D

I would suggest you confine kitty and take him to the tray regularly after a meal, play etc (just like a puppy) with lots of praise if he shows any interest in using the tray - otherwise there is nothing to help him learn to toilet in the right place. You might need to try a different type of tray/litter/location and also add an extra tray. He's not being stubborn, he just doesn't know any better :)

ooooh gross. i've tried all that. unfortunately when she's home alone (or decides it's been too long and I'm starting to trust her) she slips again. i'll persist. thanks for the explanation guys. it's helped to clarify what i'm aiming for. i'll persist with training and sharp eyed surveillance and train my dog not to touch the stuff.

Both my dogs love cat crunchies. Both my cats toilet outside so I have little chance in stopping this gorgeous behaviour.

Nothing better than a dog trying to give you a kiss with cat poo breath. Yum yum. :eat:

:rofl: And my poor cat has to put up with being stalked sometimes on her way to a toilet stop :eek: - and that's by my 10 year old BC bitch, who should really know better. And she's the one who can't understand why sometimes her kisses are not so welcome :rofl:

Only 1 of my dogs likes cat poo and the disgusting little devil takes this wonderful treat to my room and up on my bed to enjoy it in comfort!

We just keep a close eye on the litter tray - fortunately the cats mostly toilet outside so it doesn't happen too often.

No experience with cat poo - but at the moment am experiencing a dog who has learnt to eat cow poo and snuffles around in it. :vomit:

What's worse is he has learnt to open every door in the house and sneak in nice and quietly. Not pleasant coming arcoss a stinky dog under one's desk lol