Decision To Rehome Or Not?

mumsy

I don't see what's the problem with responsibly re-homing a dog. Horse owners do it all the time and no-one questions it. Sometimes one has to go many years and own a lot of different horses before they get the right one. They may want one that's better at showjumping, or better at dressage, endurance or whatever. A certain horse may be a great horse but not suited to what the owner may have wanted to do with it...therefor selling it on to a more suitable home. Same with dogs...if the dog just doesn't suit you then I can't see problem with re-homing it?

I don't think a horses personality has the same dynamics of a dogs, or that a horse would particularly care if the people in it's life were to change suddenly. Yes, horses bond with some people and other horses but in my experience they re-bond pretty darn quickly with whoever cares for them and carries the feed bucket and brushes. :)

That said, in this household we have a habit of not offloading our horses and keeping them even if they were not exactly what we had in mind. :laugh: I think that why I opted to 'free lease' this time round, so I didn't have yet another aged horse to look after, again. ;)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what's the problem with responsibly re-homing a dog. Horse owners do it all the time and no-one questions it. Sometimes one has to go many years and own a lot of different horses before they get the right one. They may want one that's better at showjumping, or better at dressage, endurance or whatever. A certain horse may be a great horse but not suited to what the owner may have wanted to do with it...therefor selling it on to a more suitable home. Same with dogs...if the dog just doesn't suit you then I can't see problem with re-homing it?

A dog is not a horse. A horse does not live in the house, ride in the car, or have that special bond with his owner .... in most cases.

No comparison at all.

I could just imagine how many people (breeders are more vulnerable) will end up with 20 + dogs in their houses because they are too scared to re-home one in case they are judged. :eek: Hygiene isssues anyone. Eeeeew!

Guest lavendergirl

Yikes - and folk think I'm tough!!

Don't people think that the dog deserves to be in a home where people do more than tolerate it?

Don't people think that a family that has adopted a dog deserve to get one that they can genuinely care for?

The dog's at no risk here. Why on earth NOT rehome it if you can do so responsibly after figuring out what it is about this one that you can't warm to and avoid it next time.

Anyone who suggests to me that sheer effort can make you bond with any dog simply needs to meet more dogs. Stanley Coren even wrote a book about it.

'A dog is for life" - yeah sure. But "life" shouldn't feel like a prison sentence.

and "LIKE" button pressed for this as well!!

I could just imagine how many people (breeders are more vulnerable) will end up with 20 + dogs in their houses because they are too scared to re-home one in case they are judged. :eek: Hygiene isssues anyone. Eeeeew!

I think we could be headed down that road. :( Re-home is a dirty word to the OH. :rolleyes:

But then again, no-one here is really a candidate for it either. :) If one of the dogs were to upset the balance of things here it would probably change that.

I re homed a desexed 5 yr old Pug bitch she was with her new family about 8 months...they rang one day and wanted to send her back as she just wasnt fitting in...so rather than continue to all be unhappy they chose to send her back. This is the best thing they could have done for her because 12 mths later the best ever home came up for her and she now lives with her daughter as well with a lovely lady. I would much rather people send a pug back than pretend or question why they have the pug.

Just out of interest:

What breed/s is the first dog?

What breeds/s is the second dog.

I KNOW I could not live with some dog breeds.

Sorry, I missed this,

First dog is a mix.

Second dog is a lab. Not sure if it is purebread or not.

Yikes - and folk think I'm tough!!

Don't people think that the dog deserves to be in a home where people do more than tolerate it?

Don't people think that a family that has adopted a dog deserve to get one that they can genuinely care for?

The dog's at no risk here. Why on earth NOT rehome it if you can do so responsibly after figuring out what it is about this one that you can't warm to and avoid it next time.

Anyone who suggests to me that sheer effort can make you bond with any dog simply needs to meet more dogs. Stanley Coren even wrote a book about it.

'A dog is for life" - yeah sure. But "life" shouldn't feel like a prison sentence.

and "LIKE" button pressed for this as well!!

I think this is really her line of thought. They have also said that there will not be another dog to replace, if they did rehome her.

Just out of interest:

What breed/s is the first dog?

What breeds/s is the second dog.

I KNOW I could not live with some dog breeds.

Sorry, I missed this,

First dog is a mix.

Second dog is a lab. Not sure if it is purebread or not.

I wonder if the lab is more people focussed and "needy" in their eyes.

She is very people focussed. From my view, she is very scatterbrained for lack of a better word. She's up,down, up again. Sits then is up again. It is almost like she is going in three directions at once but can't figure out which direction to go!If I walk in their door, she is all over you, sniffing butts etc, licking. They have done crate training with both there dogs and so they now go in their crates when someone arrives. The term "high strung"comes to mind, but yet not a stressy dog at all! Perhaps it is just learning some techniques to settle her down. I have talked to my girlfriend this morning and I don't think they will rehome. She really is a lovely dog, it is just perhaps learning how to handle her better. Sometimes I think things just get a little too much, and she didn't know how to handle it very well. Any advice would be great!

She is very people focussed. From my view, she is very scatterbrained for lack of a better word. She's up,down, up again. Sits then is up again. It is almost like she is going in three directions at once but can't figure out which direction to go!If I walk in their door, she is all over you, sniffing butts etc, licking. They have done crate training with both there dogs and so they now go in their crates when someone arrives. The term "high strung"comes to mind, but yet not a stressy dog at all! Perhaps it is just learning some techniques to settle her down. I have talked to my girlfriend this morning and I don't think they will rehome. She really is a lovely dog, it is just perhaps learning how to handle her better. Sometimes I think things just get a little too much, and she didn't know how to handle it very well. Any advice would be great!

Do you know what training they are doing with her? If she isn't getting any kind of mental stimulation she might be restless and behaving like you have described. How much exercise does she get?

Interesting, how many dogs wouldn't be all over visitors like a rash if they weren't locked away? Mine certainly settle after a short period but my girl (the "human focussed one") will follow the visitors around, lie at their feet, bring them toys, stare at them lovingly, lean on them... you get the drift. She's outside or crated if non-doggy visitors are around. I don't see her behaviour as strange, or annoying, it's just her.

It sounds like the dog is very interactive, and once again I don't think this is strange behaviour, just obviously different than they're used to.

And I still say I don't see what's wrong with rehoming in this situation. If that's not the type of dog that they feel they can live with comfortably, then so be it. There are lots of people out there who would love a friendly, wriggly lab to keep them company.

Do you know what training they are doing with her? If she isn't getting any kind of mental stimulation she might be restless and behaving like you have described. How much exercise does she get?

She plays alot with their other dog, but she is very hard to walk. Not sure why, but she will walk for a short period and just lie down. They have tried bringing BBQ chicken with them etc. Once she is down she is very hard to get back up. There is not physical issue that is causing this. If they can walk both dogs together, she generally follows the other dog quite well but that isn't always possible. They did consult a behaviorist who suggested that perhaps she was never walked in the first home so she doesn't know what to do? Their daughter has taken her for walks and had to phone home to be picked up because she is around the block and cannot get the dog walking again. They play alot of tug of war and that sort of thing in their yard.

A dog lying down on a walk ..... this is something which needs to be checked properly ....

There is not physical issue that is causing this
. perhaps even the lying down/getting up has a discomfort factor to it ? has she been Xrayed for HD or elbow dysplasia ?
They did consult a behaviorist who suggested that perhaps she was never walked in the first home so she doesn't know what to do?

a good behaviourist,IMO will observe them walking her , and assess things/refer to someone/help owners learn required skills if needed..not just say 'she doesn't know what to do '

Edited by persephone

A dog lying down on a walk ..... this is something which needs to be checked properly ....

. perhaps even the lying down/getting up has a discomfort factor to it ? has she been Xrayed for HD or elbow dysplasia ?
They did consult a behaviorist who suggested that perhaps she was never walked in the first home so she doesn't know what to do?

a good behaviourist,IMO will observe them walking her , and assess things/refer to someone/help owners learn required skills if needed..not just say 'she doesn't know what to do '

I agree here, I think they should check her out and make sure everything is ok health wise.

Tug and playing in the yard isn't really enough exercise/stimulation either and I'm not surprised she's a bit all over the place, I would bet she would be a bit less clingy/scattered if she was getting regular exercise out of the yard.

There may well be a physical problem that can't be easily seen and requires more indepth investigation.

However, when I was a kid of about 12 I had a Labrador/GSD that would lay down and refuse to move when we went for a walk around the block or out and back the same way as we approached the house. He wanted to continue going for a walk and didn't want to go home. He would quite happily get up if I took a step back in the direction we came and even if we rounded the block he would still lay down as we approached the house from the other direction!

Clearly a child of 12 didn't make the walks anywhere near long enough for that fellow. ;)

I have a pug who does a similar thing. He just stops dead. It isn't breathing related either he will do it regardless of conditions. I've never figured out why he does it actually. :laugh:

She needs to be taken to a vet that understands physiology well - most vets don't.

She may have pain but playing, running after the other dog is worth it and so she breaks through the pain barrier.

A few months ago my boy started avoiding jumps at agility - just the odd one here and there. I took him to the regular vet and he was given the all clear. My boy still ran and jumped at home chased the ball etc but the problem became worse at agility. I thought it was motivational so I did more motivational stuff and the problem just got worse. It got to the point that, when we arrived on ground, he would give calming signals immediately and would run off when let off leash.

I then saw a vet that races greyhounds who is well known for his trigger point therapy. Fergus' entire left side was completely stiff! He would still chase a ball, jump when playing etc because his prey/play drive would override the pain.

So...just because a dog plays and the vet says everything is okay, doesn't mean everything is okay.