Nt Communities And Camp Dogs

I have opted not to post photos of this as it is visually disturbing and also I am not in a position to identify this community or the dog publicly....

A report was made to police by a local government employee of a dog seriously injured and needing to be destroyed. The dog had been attacked by another which resulted in the dog loosing all of the skin around its neck and one ear. Amazingly the dog is still alive a fortnight later, the dog itself was signed over to the council by its owner to be destroyed sometime prior to the dog being attacked, but they are unable to hire someone to manage camp dogs including destroying unclaimed dogs. The police were unable to catch the dog because of concern relating to using a catch pole on its injured neck, so it is still wandering around the community until vets visit in April when no doubt it will be PTS if it can be caught. There is also a horse which has lost an eye one way or another and is still in a paddock with muck running out of its eye, another horse has chronic founder with seriously deformed hooves.

Basically the dog will suffer the pain of a large untreated wound, by some miracle survive, only to be PTS when someone can manage to catch it.

There are reports that many dogs are eaten by other dogs because they are starving, perhaps this dog was a victim of such an attack. Some people are worried that the dogs may turn on children or weak adults although perhaps if they fed their dogs the situation would be different. In other communities I have seen day old foals whose brumby mother have been chased away, being ridden by children until they collapse and die.

The vet visits cost nothing to the individual (and they often hide their dogs from the vet to avoid them getting desexed) Imagine if someone in any other state or territory failed to seek veterinary treatment for such an injury, yet here there will be no prosecution against the council or the previous owners

If only the lerger part of Australian population could see what goes on up here, its so disgusting...

so it is still wandering around the community until vets visit in April when no doubt it will be PTS if it can be caught. There is also a horse which has lost an eye one way or another and is still in a paddock with muck running out of its eye, another horse has chronic founder with seriously deformed hooves.

...and why don't the council or RSPCA do the right thing and use a firearm to end that suffering right now? Allowing this suffering to go on, once it is known, THAT is cruel, in my book. :(

Edited by persephone

Yes it's very sad, I have no personal experience but know people who have worked in similar communities.

I agree with perse that an organisation needs to step in and do something, I'm not sure how much individuals can do in this situation, the poor animals.

so it is still wandering around the community until vets visit in April when no doubt it will be PTS if it can be caught. There is also a horse which has lost an eye one way or another and is still in a paddock with muck running out of its eye, another horse has chronic founder with seriously deformed hooves.

...and why don't the council or RSPCA do the right thing and use a firearm to end that suffering right now? Allowing this suffering to go on, once it is known, THAT is cruel, in my book. :(

Generally the police do have that permission. They can't discharge a firearm in town but they could take the dog outside of the town and do it.

Guest lavendergirl

Should this be moved to the "Dog Cruelty" thread?

ABC is currently airing a show about dugongs and sea turtles being cruely slaughtered in the Torres Strait - cruel treatment of animals is common and not policed at all in indigenous communites apparently.

Edited to change a word.

Edited by lavendergirl

ABC is currently airing a show about dugongs and sea turtles being cruely slaughtered in the Torres Strait - cruel treatment of animals is endemic and not policed at all in indigenous communites apparently.

I think that's one hell of a generalisation.

about dugongs and sea turtles being cruely slaughtered in the Torres Strait

offtopic.gif, sorry ..... :o Crueller than what goes on in commercial 'modern/sanitised' fishing ..when bycatch lies flapping and dying on deck, where unwanted fish /mammals/turtles etc get trapped in pots or tangled in nets and drown?

or crueller than dugongs and turtles being 'accidentally' injured/killed by propellers on tourist speedboats ?

Edited by persephone

Generally the police do have that permission. They can't discharge a firearm in town but they could take the dog outside of the town and do it.

That was the problem, they couldn't catch the dog to get it out of the community

Maybe a concerned community member could put those suffering animals out of their misery... why wait for a vet to come in April?

T.

Yes I tend to agree - why let this poor animals suffer? :(

The men in the community are going through "mens business" and don't want to get their hands dirty basically, because dogs are a spiritual animal. Far better for their conscience :mad . Remarkably the dog is appearing to be healing, although its not pretty, but its on the list of dogs to be destroyed along with six other dogs someone decided to leave behind when they moved camps.

I'm wondering why they are very quiet about cruelty in aboriginal communities, perhaps trying to be PC? I'm sure they don't have many resources here, but when I see what makes it to the RSPCA show on television... I just think what happens in the NT goes way above and beyond

Guest lavendergirl
about dugongs and sea turtles being cruely slaughtered in the Torres Strait

offtopic.gif, sorry ..... :o Crueller than what goes on in commercial 'modern/sanitised' fishing ..when bycatch lies flapping and dying on deck, where unwanted fish /mammals/turtles etc get trapped in pots or tangled in nets and drown?

or crueller than dugongs and turtles being 'accidentally' injured/killed by propellers on tourist speedboats ?

Don't know - only watched the beginning that was enough - turtle being bludgeoned with a rock. Cruel being ABC word not mine - though would seem appropriate.

Edited by lavendergirl

ABC is currently airing a show about dugongs and sea turtles being cruely slaughtered in the Torres Strait - cruel treatment of animals is endemic and not policed at all in indigenous communites apparently.

I think that's one hell of a generalisation.

Well I'm geting pretty pesimistic about the whole thing now after living with them for 2 years. I try not to generalise but you have to look pretty hard for someone who bucks the trend.

I'm guessing the council/police don't have the funds to buy/hire a dart gun to sedate the dog from a distance, then humanely shoot it elsewhere?

How about a trap? Maybe someone could fashion one to trap this dog so it can be transported out of town to be humanely shot...

T.

I live in a remote NT community too, and while the dogs here aren't as bad as some of places I've seen in the Top End, there are far too many dogs here, some sick, injured and all breeding out of control. Like most (all!) the social problems in Aboriginal communities, there is no simple solution. I have often wished for a phial of Lethabarb to help along some of the suffering creatures I see every day. It's truly another world: a world most Australians don't know about.

I live in a remote NT community too, and while the dogs here aren't as bad as some of places I've seen in the Top End, there are far too many dogs here, some sick, injured and all breeding out of control. Like most (all!) the social problems in Aboriginal communities, there is no simple solution. I have often wished for a phial of Lethabarb to help along some of the suffering creatures I see every day. It's truly another world: a world most Australians don't know about.

Where are you situated?