I Am The Worst Puppy Mummy Ever

NOCTRL

So right now i'm feeling like the worst puppy mummy ever. I decided on the weekend i would trim Arby's nails for the first time, as a couple were getting a bit long.

I trimmed our old Labs for many years and never got the quick (though his were white and Arby's are tricky black).

First nail.. i checked with the torch, worked out where the quick was.. snip.. YELP!!!! SO MUCH BLOOD. I feel so fricken bad. :( He is a very good little fella though and let me snip the others without any complaining (bless him!).

I compressed and bandaged and thought the bleeding stopped... took the bandage off a few hours later and he must have knocked it and it started bleeding all over again. So he had a bandage on over night (and got to sleep in bed with us), took it off this morning and it hadn't bled. Gave him a rub and scratch on his leg for a while before putting it back on.

Now i'm scared to let him get around without it on in case it starts bleeding again :(

I feel so mean to him, i didn't mean to :(:cry:

Edited by NOCTRL

Poor little guy. If he let you continue he can't have been too traumatised, so that's something. I'd never do my pups nails, purely because they are black. The vet does them whenever we're there and it saves us all a lot of hassle.

Thanks for the tips - i had flour on the ready just in case and did use that initially. I bought a styptic pen and that just seemed to make it bleed more! Might give the soap a go if it's bleeding again at lunch.

I don't baby him and didn't make a big deal about it, at least not in front of him :laugh: I was just shocked by the amount of blood and feeling guilty

edit because of my crazy sleepless spelling.

Edited by NOCTRL

no I beat that ... was a quiet day at the clinic and my dog was there so I decided to snip her nails. I took off a snifter of a millimeter too far and blood everywhere. Then while I turn my back she wanders around the room. So I get the mop and bucket, she's squirting because the Condis have done nothing ... then a group of official visitors pop in ... unannounced ... me with a mop and blood everywhere ... Mina standing there like 'it was HER! SHEEEEE DID THIS TOO ME!' and ran up for a sook :rolleyes:

I did this to my new dobe pup the other day, so much blood! So much in fact that I was worried she may be VWD affected. I sympathise with you but its good he let you continue :)

If I can be bothered I use a dremel, its essentially an electric file you can get them from bunnings etc, my experience is that you can get them shorter, rounder and smoother and you would have to be very unlucky to get the quick.

The soap is a good tip thanks to those who suggested it.

I don't clip my dogs nails ever. I don't need to. I think they wear them down on our daily walks on gravel roads. I noticed on my Crestie that his nails got really long while he was recovering from a broken leg. But as soon as he started going on walkies again the nails wore down.

But I have done it with chook's claws and recently our sheep's hoofs. Blood everywhere and I felt guilty too.

Thank you! I might look into getting a dremel :) I feel a bit better that i'm not the only one to create what looks like a homocide!

Happy to report Arby was ok after a day and a half with his paw bandaged. He enjoyed being an inside dog all day getting lots of cuddles in bed (OH had monday off, and i was off tuesday with a migrane!)

post-42095-0-49763000-1331772652_thumb.jpg